HE-400(or 400i?), HD695, or something better
Aug 28, 2014 at 9:43 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 37

thestoebz

New Head-Fier
Hi guys. I'm relatively new, been lurking for years and finally deciding to get more serious into my sound. I've had the HD595 since 2010 and I love them, but I'm looking for an upgrade. Admittedly, I haven't heard a massive amount of headphones or iems. I also have the shure se215, hd280 and a few gaming headsets. I have a Dac and a portable pa2v2 (Gary is awesome), and I'm looking for a desktop amp to go with it, preferably one that can drive some higher end cans. (such as my goal lcd2, he-6 or hd800)

I like flat most of the time, but I also like a bit of a v as well. I'm leaning towards the he400 because I like to have a little more bass, but I'm no bass head. Also would like to try planars :p. I've heard great things about it all around.

So, with the limited experience I have had I was hoping you guys could recommend some good amp/headphone combos for a guy moving from an HD595/se215.

I have no set budget but trying to stay around 600-800 USD total for this first step up. Thanks

Aug 28, 2014 at 11:53 AM Post #3 of 37
See the Head-Fi posting guidelines. You are supposed to wait 24 hours before bumping a post:
http://www.head-fi.org/a/posting-guidelines

I have not heard your headphones, but the HE-400 is a really great deal right now. You can even get like new open box ones for $259 from razordog.

The Audio-GD NFB-15 and NFB-11 are some pretty amazing DAC/headphone amp/pre-amps for the price. They will easily power the HE-400s to blistering volumes.

Aug 28, 2014 at 7:19 PM Post #4 of 37
See the Head-Fi posting guidelines. You are supposed to wait 24 hours before bumping a post:
http://www.head-fi.org/a/posting-guidelines

I have not heard your headphones, but the HE-400 is a really great deal right now. You can even get like new open box ones for $259 from razordog.

The Audio-GD NFB-15 and NFB-11 are some pretty amazing DAC/headphone amp/pre-amps for the price. They will easily power the HE-400s to blistering volumes.

+1 on the HE-400 dropping price.
Little heavy though.

Aug 28, 2014 at 9:31 PM Post #10 of 37
From my research I liked the 600 more. That being said you should wait for a response from someone who has experience with both of them.

I've read tons (hours upon hours worth) of info on multiple headphones, but I haven't heard them myself. Wish I could, would make a decision so much easier. I feel like I'm reading in circles and I need to just decide and go with the he400, heard they have a 30 day return policy

Aug 28, 2014 at 9:32 PM Post #11 of 37
I've read tons (hours upon hours worth) of info on multiple headphones, but I haven't heard them myself. Wish I could, would make a decision so much easier. I feel like I'm reading in circles and I need to just decide and go with the he400, heard they have a 30 day return policy

That is pretty much my exact situation except I'm looking closer at the HD650 
biggrin.gif

Aug 28, 2014 at 9:33 PM Post #12 of 37
Amazon has 19 new HE400s left. There may be a last shipment not in yet but chances are those are the last ones. If think you'll like it get it. If it doesn't live up to expectations send it back.

Aug 28, 2014 at 9:58 PM Post #13 of 37
Amazon has 19 new HE400s left. There may be a last shipment not in yet but chances are those are the last ones. If think you'll like it get it. If it doesn't live up to expectations send it back.
I think I will do it. Hifiman ships them too from Amazon so I could send it back if I hate it. I doubt I will. I think I'll pick up a magni as a starter for it, or possibly a JDS Labs o2

Only 18 now so I'm gonna do it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back