HDTV Recommendations?
Jan 12, 2008 at 4:29 AM Post #31 of 41
Vizio's and Olevias are pretty nice but make sure you buy a warranty with them. I am a warranty buff notably since I used to work for Sears and got to see just random problems people have with tv's.

I recently bought a 40" Samsung 720p LCD and I am loving it so much.

I would say though dont splurge on the 1080p since it really isnt noticeable on screens under 50". Also if you want more advice find the HTguys podcast lots of great tips on Home Theater and the like.

Jan 12, 2008 at 8:51 PM Post #33 of 41
No he is correct, no one without bionic eyes isnt likely to notice the difference between 1080p and 1080i and 720p on any screen smaller than around 60".
Now jump up to 106" like my home theater and then there is a little noticable difference.

Also to the OP, dont be afraid of the 37" and larger VIZIOS. I have had the 32" in my bedroom and bumped it up to a 37" and actually in my experience the 37" has better black level and a REAL white level. Do little research and you will see that the smaller VIZIOS can not display a true white background.
Also if you buy from SAMS Club you can take advantage of the return policy and not worry about an extended warrenty!

Jan 12, 2008 at 9:48 PM Post #34 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by walls /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No he is correct, no one without bionic eyes isnt likely to notice the difference between 1080p and 1080i and 720p on any screen smaller than around 60".

No, Overlord is correct. Anyone can notice the difference when sitting close enough.

It's a mistake to take into account resolution alone, or screen size alone. Viewing distance is key too with respect to screen size and resolution. The relationship of the three is what matters, not any of them independently, and not any two of them if you ignore the third.

Jan 12, 2008 at 11:33 PM Post #35 of 41
Quote:

Now jump up to 106" like my home theater and then there is a little noticable difference.

Did you even bother to at least glance at my link?

Thank you rsaaverdra. By the way, your sig links are mostly broken.

Jan 12, 2008 at 11:50 PM Post #36 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by OverlordXenu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thank you rsaaverdra. By the way, your sig links are mostly broken.

Thanks also, that's due to Headfi's blackout, haven't had a chance to fix them yet. Will try to do so shortly.

Jan 13, 2008 at 10:55 PM Post #37 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by OverlordXenu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Woo, misinformation.

1080p Does Matter - Here's When (Screen Size vs. Viewing Distance vs. Resolution) » CarltonBale.com

You guys are missing the point: 1080 is higher resolution then 720, and can be noticably better on a larger screen/ sitting close up. Interlace vs Progressive is a separate issue.

People do like to spread misinformation about what 1080i vs 1080p is. The current fad with TV manufacturers is to try to create a divide and make up an interface where there are hardly any sources for (1080p/60: higher then ATSC standards which go to 1080i/60 or 1080p/30) With a 24fps movie, 1080i is adequate and with a good de-interlacer, gives you an identical image as 1080p....TV sets that are 50" and under don't necessarily have to be native 1080 resolution. The Pioneer Kuro line is a top rated TV set, and their PDP-5080HD is 1365 x 768: it still gets reviews higher then many 1080p LCDs because of it's color capabilities.

Home Theater: 1080i v. 1080p

I recently looked at HDTVs, and I did notice that plasmas still seem to have better tonality then LCDs. Pioneer, Samsung, and Panasonics seemed to have good PQ.

Jan 13, 2008 at 11:43 PM Post #38 of 41
Jan 14, 2008 at 12:25 AM Post #39 of 41
Quote:

I hope you meant for this link walls, because that reply forum was just plain wrong. 1080i gives a larger resolution then 720p, and is used on movie channels. There can be a slight motion artifact with fast frames....and that is why sports channels favor 720p. If someone says 1080i is actually 540 lines of resolution, you can assume they've never produced a video or have been brainwashed into the current 1080p marketing hype. Your first link was the most informative and correct, BTW
biggrin.gif

Jan 14, 2008 at 3:18 AM Post #40 of 41
Eh.....I just pulled the first ones I found.

Ya know I remember when "everyone" just had to have a new 1080i plasma and wouldnt bother with the (new at the time) 480p Panasonics even though EVERY review stated that the 480p Panny had a far superior pic and was cheaper!! But the average Joe consumer was sucked into the fact that the other models had the newest,highest numbers.......even though (again at that time) the Panny had the best black level and contrast rating on the market. There IS more to a good pic then the numbers.

Jan 14, 2008 at 3:56 AM Post #41 of 41
Quote:

There IS more to a good pic then the numbers.

This is where I can whole heartily agree! Best advice is to go look at the TVs picture. It gets to be like audio where everyone has their preferences (and I notice that the preference for prime time HDTV is to oversaturate and tone down the contrast). Yeah, 1080p seems to be the big buzz number right now.....when I would take look at the set's ability to de-interlace various sources as well as its color fidelity. These are characteristics that are more important then native resolution. That's why I'd pay more for a 720p Kuro over any 1080p LCD I've seen.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back