HDMI Audio Decoder - Please help!
Jun 24, 2012 at 11:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Blaze182

Head-Fier
Hi there!

After so much fiddling with audio, its slowly getting better but the trial and error takes so much time!! Really need to find a solution thats not going to be a shot in the dark and waste more money.

I want to run HDMI from my PS3 to my LCD Monitor. BUT, output from the audio of the monitor is a disaster. 

Can anyone recommend a splitter of sorts which can continue to pass the HDMI Video output signal to the monitor, but let me redirect the audio signal to my DAC/AMP? 

I was looking at these, their price is very different and I can't find a whole lot about either which makes a lot of sense...

http://www.gefen.com/kvm/dproduct.jsp?prod_id=8202

http://www.ambery.com/2hddodtsdihd.html

Any advice would be very appreciated =]

Jun 24, 2012 at 11:50 PM Post #2 of 9
This is my expertise.

Video Source on PS3- HDMI

Audio Source on PS3- Optical

Run optical out from your PS3 to your DAC, and make sure the audio output settings on your PS3 are set to stereo, and not any of the surround sound stuff.

This is what I do and it works great.

Jun 25, 2012 at 12:11 AM Post #3 of 9
Quote:
After so much fiddling with audio, its slowly getting better but the trial and error takes so much time!! Really need to find a solution thats not going to be a shot in the dark and waste more money.
I want to run HDMI from my PS3 to my LCD Monitor. BUT, output from the audio of the monitor is a disaster. 
Can anyone recommend a splitter of sorts which can continue to pass the HDMI Video output signal to the monitor, but let me redirect the audio signal to my DAC/AMP? 
I was looking at these, their price is very different and I can't find a whole lot about either which makes a lot of sense...
Any advice would be very appreciated =]

It would be so much easier to run optical digital audio out of the PS3 to your DAC/Amp.
Or Stereo RCAs from the PS3 to the amplifier.
And just run video from you PS3 to the monitor
What DAC and Amplifier are you using?

Jun 25, 2012 at 12:23 AM Post #4 of 9
I used to run optical direct to the E17 but found that aux from the monitor (connected via hdmi) was clearer with a far better sound stage than the optical direct from the ps3. There is no comparison between the two, i wouldnt run optical direct, the sound just isnt there which is why im looking into these splitter/converters.

Jun 25, 2012 at 12:50 AM Post #5 of 9
Quote:
I used to run optical direct to the E17 but found that aux from the monitor (connected via hdmi) was clearer with a far better sound stage than the optical direct from the ps3. There is no comparison between the two, I wouldn't run optical direct, the sound just isn't there which is why I'm looking into these splitter/converters.

I'm assuming your TV is taking in the PS3s 5.1 digital HDMI 5.1 signal and converting it to 2-channel digital audio (guessing)
The astro mix-amp. might solve the problem.
Run the PS3 5.1 digital optical to the Astro Mix-amp, the Mix-amp. will convert the digital optical 5.1 signal into 2-channel surround sound for headphones (will not need E17).
Or find a used Yamaha receiver with with HDMI in/out.
Run HDMI from the PS3 to the Yamaha receiver, then HDMI from the Yamaha receiver to the TV.
Yamaha receivers come with Silent Cinema, which is Yamaha version of headphone surround sound.

Jun 25, 2012 at 12:59 AM Post #6 of 9
The Astro Amp won't drive the K701's. Do you have a link to one of the Yamaha units you're referring to? I might look into one of them. Would running the mixamp through to the E17 be a crime?

Jun 25, 2012 at 1:08 AM Post #7 of 9
Quote:
The Astro Amp won't drive the K701's. Do you have a link to one of the Yamaha units you're referring to? I might look into one of them

You should (might?) be able to plug the Astro mix-amp's headphone output to the line input on the E17.

Just about all (99% ?) Yamaha A/V receivers come with headphone (Silent Cinema) surround sound.
I would say to check your local Craigslist, I would think even a two or three year old Yamaha would do the job.
I would also assume the receiver would provide enough juice to drive your AKG K701.

Jun 25, 2012 at 1:11 AM Post #8 of 9
Thanks very much! Could probably drive a pair of K1000's off the speaker outputs too =D I'll check into both options and will surely take one of them in the next day or so, thanks for the info!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back