HDD DAPs need defrag??
Apr 27, 2007 at 4:54 AM Post #3 of 15
You probably do not need to. I have heard that it might have a slight impact on batery life due to the hard drive having to seek different areas of the hard drive if any of the files are fragmented, but most of the files are too small to get largely fragmented anyway.

Personally I think it is pointless to do it, plus it take ages to do it anyway since most of the HDD used in DAP's now are pretty slow.

Apr 27, 2007 at 7:28 AM Post #4 of 15
I've heard that defragging can/may help your boot times as well. My D2 is flash based but i defragged the internal mem. as well as the sd expansion and that itself cut the boot time down by 50%.

Apr 27, 2007 at 1:57 PM Post #7 of 15
Formating the HDD on Players helps alot in terms of battery life. The hard drive is the most power consuming part of the player, and the longer the drive platters have to spin, and the further the head has to move, the more energy they will consume, and the lower the battery life.

A 30GB player will defrag overnight, which isnt a big deal time wise. Even after just a few swapping of songs, the hdd will become significantly fragmented. So defragging after every major sync is a good idea.

Word of warning though, the drive/player will heat up while defragging. So place it in front of a fan, or by a window with cool air coming in.

Apr 27, 2007 at 2:19 PM Post #8 of 15
I remember before I hard rockbox on my h320 that defragging and formatting plus x-copy helped alot with the boot times, but since rockbox I have the time but not the patientience nor motivation to defrag my player.

Apr 27, 2007 at 3:03 PM Post #10 of 15
my failing 2nd gen ipod's harddrive was killed by defrag. So be aware defrag places a lot of stress on the drive, as others have pointed out its probably a lot less stressful on the unit (and faster) to copy all the music off if you dont have it on your pc, format and then resync.

Apr 27, 2007 at 7:01 PM Post #11 of 15
ya, dont defrag your drive. Just format it and retransfer your songs. It is much faster and more effective.

Apr 28, 2007 at 12:22 AM Post #14 of 15
wait so how do i go about defragging or reformating my hd player? i have a veryy old ipod, maybe i can get a little more life out of it

Apr 28, 2007 at 1:09 AM Post #15 of 15
to format, if you are using windows, open up my computer while the device is connected. right-click the device, and then go down to format. click, and make sure you format at FAT 32. Then, re-install the firmware, and disconnect, after it is done formatting

Users who are viewing this thread

Back