HD800S-> Where do I go from here?
Jan 8, 2024 at 8:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 33

MisterMoJo

500+ Head-Fier
I really enjoy my HD800S with the WA2 I own. I listen to mostly classical type soundtracks and classic rock. Sometimes rap. Just for the sake of argument, if I were to upgrade, what would be my path? I would be looking for totl headphones with outstanding detail and good bass. I would rather not have to buy a new amp. I also own a couple of other amps, the iFi Pro iCan Signature, and the GSX Mini most notably, and also the Woo I mentioned above.
Some cans I am interested in:
ZMF Verite Open
ZMF Atrium
Focal Utopia 2022
I would think ZMF would pair well with my Woo. And I think the Focals would do Okay with the iFi or the GSX Mini.
Am I on the right track? Should I be looking anywhere else?

Jan 9, 2024 at 5:04 AM Post #2 of 33
I've had the HD800s a few times (see signature photo and zoom in :). From there it's all about what changes you want, because there's nothing left to get the wow factor from, unless you go for different tuning you like better. My favorite is the Hifiman Arya Stealth, but I just had an HE6SE this week and shipped it today. With the Autoeq profile there's no match for it's musicality. Arya Stealth I think is better for critical listening. It's really what you want more or less of from your current ones. I loved the HD800s but the soundstage was huge but kind of artificial sounding. I prefer lush vocals and bass slam for music than V shaped with recessed or shouty vocals. Make a wish list of what properties or tuning changes for a new pair. I've had the Heddphone, Beyerdynamic T1, LCD-DX, and in the price range it's a whole lot of sidegrading. Maybe take aim at a specific genre that you want to get tuning for.

Jan 9, 2024 at 8:53 AM Post #3 of 33
I really enjoy my HD800S with the WA2 I own. I listen to mostly classical type soundtracks and classic rock. Sometimes rap. Just for the sake of argument, if I were to upgrade, what would be my path? I would be looking for totl headphones with outstanding detail and good bass. I would rather not have to buy a new amp. I also own a couple of other amps, the iFi Pro iCan Signature, and the GSX Mini most notably, and also the Woo I mentioned above.
Some cans I am interested in:
ZMF Verite Open
ZMF Atrium
Focal Utopia 2022
I would think ZMF would pair well with my Woo. And I think the Focals would do Okay with the iFi or the GSX Mini.
Am I on the right track? Should I be looking anywhere else?
There are a lot of places to go from there, they won't necessarily be better, just different. The Utopia has less focus on bass and more on neutrality, detail, etc. The Susvara is about as TOTL as you can get, but it might not have the bass you want either. Things like the DCA Corina have been taking 2023 Headphone of the year awards, but they may also not have the bass you want and they're e-stat, which require a specialized amp typically. All of these will meet the definition of "better than the 800s," but you will be giving up things as well - soundstage, bass quantity, etc. If you're a bass head, do some research on the best audiophile bass headphones and you might see a few other options. If you're OK with less bass, check out the $3k+ range. One last option that's a bit off the wall is to check out jmaudioeditions.com and have him build you a headphone to your preferences - my 3rd one from him will be here in a week or so.

Jan 9, 2024 at 10:34 AM Post #5 of 33
What other headphones have you heard? You should figure out what you're looking for soundwise. ZMF will give you a very different sound, but it may or may not not be what you're looking for. Hifiman high end models are closer to the HD-800 sound (compared to ZMF), just to give two examples.

Jan 9, 2024 at 10:39 AM Post #6 of 33
What other headphones have you heard? You should figure out what you're looking for soundwise. ZMF will give you a very different sound, but it may or may not not be what you're looking for. Hifiman high end models are closer to the HD-800 sound (compared to ZMF), just to give two examples.
Mainly the LCD series from Audeze, the 2, 4, and 5. All of which I own and like to some degree but not as much as the Senns. I have also heard the Fostex TH-900 and some of the old Denon series of headphones. Those are good but don't offer the resolution I am looking for.

Jan 9, 2024 at 10:57 AM Post #7 of 33
Mainly the LCD series from Audeze, the 2, 4, and 5. All of which I own and like to some degree but not as much as the Senns. I have also heard the Fostex TH-900 and some of the old Denon series of headphones. Those are good but don't offer the resolution I am looking for.

Okay, if you're looking for very resolving headphones with a little more bass I'd at least look at the Hifiman models (Arya, HE-1000, Susvara), Utopia, maybe the DCA open models (not familiar with those myself), maybe the Austrian Audio Composer (again, no experience myself). I love ZMF, but their house-sound is more on the warm and intimate side, not focused on micro-details and being super resolving IMO.

Jan 9, 2024 at 6:11 PM Post #11 of 33
Jan 9, 2024 at 6:58 PM Post #12 of 33
don't go anywhere, invest in the source

Jan 10, 2024 at 2:35 AM Post #13 of 33
Jan 10, 2024 at 8:18 AM Post #14 of 33
Would be fun if they updated that list, looks like it's from 2020 and a lot has happened since then 😊
Headfonia has a good list and Headfonics and headfonia put out best of 2023 stuff.

Jan 10, 2024 at 9:24 AM Post #15 of 33
I love my HD800, I removed the SDR mod so it would have its original character. I got the Koss 95X electrostat years ago and it sounds good but like many have said the bass was a bit lacking..........it turns out the amp that comes with the Koss has a built in filter that EQs down 200 hz and below.

I got a well regarded Stax amp and it blew my mind. I prefer the Koss + Stax amp over my HD800. The Koss 95X with a proper amp is a TOTL headphone no doubt.

Since then I have got other estats, like the very bassy Stax 007 mk2. Its such a bassy headphone that with a bass heavy EQ the bass is too much.

Picked up the Audeze CRBN yesterday. Estats are fun.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back