HD800 with HDP vs Denon receiver - I'm very confused???
Jul 7, 2010 at 4:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

GALACTUS

Head-Fier
I have the HD800 hooked up to my HDP playing Apple lossless files.  I rave really appreciated the strengths of these headphones.  Like many of us out here find the bass to be a bit light for some music.  Lately listening to some Rage Against the Machine - the light bass has been more frustrating and the highs have been making a ears bleed a bit.  For the heck of it I connected the HD800's to my old Denon 3805 receiver which is connected to my xfi sound via Dolby digital Live.  I could not believe how much MORE bass there was.  The highs were also less bright.  I found listening to rock and metal through the Denon, which has descent Burr Brown DAC's, much more pleasing with rock.  I can't underestimate how much more bass there was with the Denon's.....It was weird.  Now I should say that the bass did not seem as clean.  And with more mellow music I preferred the HDP - more detail, air, and space.  I guess my question is....does this make sense?  I know the HDP is midfi for the 800's, and it does do a lot of great things.  But should there be a huge bass increase with a descent 7 year old receiver?  If the HDP is that light in bass, can someone recommend a descent amp/dac combo in the $600 range with the strong clean bass.  Of course I want the rest of the sound spectrum to be very clean as well.  Thanks in advance.  And sorry about the rambling. 

Jul 7, 2010 at 8:58 PM Post #2 of 4
Larry (aka HPA), I believe this one is for you.
biggrin.gif

To the OP, I would send him a PM. He does own both and is very helpful!

Jul 8, 2010 at 2:59 AM Post #3 of 4

Quote:
I have the HD800 hooked up to my HDP playing Apple lossless files.  I rave really appreciated the strengths of these headphones.  Like many of us out here find the bass to be a bit light for some music.  Lately listening to some Rage Against the Machine - the light bass has been more frustrating and the highs have been making a ears bleed a bit.  For the heck of it I connected the HD800's to my old Denon 3805 receiver which is connected to my xfi sound via Dolby digital Live.  I could not believe how much MORE bass there was.  The highs were also less bright.  I found listening to rock and metal through the Denon, which has descent Burr Brown DAC's, much more pleasing with rock.  I can't underestimate how much more bass there was with the Denon's.....It was weird.  Now I should say that the bass did not seem as clean.  And with more mellow music I preferred the HDP - more detail, air, and space.  I guess my question is....does this make sense?  I know the HDP is midfi for the 800's, and it does do a lot of great things.  But should there be a huge bass increase with a descent 7 year old receiver?  If the HDP is that light in bass, can someone recommend a descent amp/dac combo in the $600 range with the strong clean bass.  Of course I want the rest of the sound spectrum to be very clean as well.  Thanks in advance.  And sorry about the rambling. 

Wow! I'm almost using the exact same setup as you (Apple Lossless -> HDP -> HD800) and to be honest, i do find the bass (quality & quantity) to be just about right! Btw, i'm using the DHC Baby Complement cable for the HD800 instead of the stock cable so that's about the only difference in our rigs! Now i'm really itching to try out a different amp to see if the bass improves!

Anyone anywhere in Singapore?

Jul 8, 2010 at 3:16 AM Post #4 of 4
Why not? Different amplifies have different colorations. Plus I heard the HDP was bright enough as is. People seem to like slightly warm amps with the HD800 a lot. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back