HD800 vs HE500
Dec 6, 2012 at 7:58 PM Post #121 of 1,025
Yes, and what do you have for breakfast? Don't be shy.
biggrin.gif

Dec 11, 2012 at 3:27 PM Post #122 of 1,025
Quote:
And what type of sound are you after? What do you listen to? What's your current favorite headphone?

I'm primarily looking for an all-round headphone, as I listen to many genres. If I had to pick, I would say electronica gets the most playtime on my system.

My current headphone is a pair of MarkL modded Denon D2000. I guess i'm looking for something different. Perhaps something more detailed, richer and bigger soundstage. Less colored maybe, as the D2000 is one warm side. Really interested in trying orthodynamics, and hear what it's like.

Dec 11, 2012 at 9:30 PM Post #123 of 1,025
Quote:

I'm primarily looking for an all-round headphone, as I listen to many genres. If I had to pick, I would say electronica gets the most playtime on my system.

My current headphone is a pair of MarkL modded Denon D2000. I guess i'm looking for something different. Perhaps something more detailed, richer and bigger soundstage. Less colored maybe, as the D2000 is one warm side. Really interested in trying orthodynamics, and hear what it's like.

All-around headphone? HE-500 is THE all-around headphone. Know that the HE-500 will not have as much bass punch as your D2000, but will have extend lower and have more texture.

Dec 11, 2012 at 11:13 PM Post #124 of 1,025
Quote:
All-around headphone? HE-500 is THE all-around headphone. Know that the HE-500 will not have as much bass punch as your D2000, but will have extend lower and have more texture.

This is probably your best route. Otherwise jump the gun and get the HE-6 if you can get a good amp with it. The HE-6 is just as versatile but does have the extra staging/imaging performance + more detail if that's what you're after.

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
Dec 11, 2012 at 11:37 PM Post #125 of 1,025
Quote:
This is probably your best route. Otherwise jump the gun and get the HE-6 if you can get a good amp with it. The HE-6 is just as versatile but does have the extra staging/imaging performance + more detail if that's what you're after.

Agreed. If you got the money for HE-6 and amp, HE-6 is better than the HE-500. HE-6 is pretty similar in sound signature except less bass emphasis and more treble so it doesn't sound as warm. But you do get more detail, imagine, etc, but cost more too.

If you have the money, it's a no brainer. You probably do have the money since you consider HD800 as an option.

Dec 12, 2012 at 8:21 AM Post #126 of 1,025
Quote:
Agreed. If you got the money for HE-6 and amp, HE-6 is better than the HE-500. HE-6 is pretty similar in sound signature except less bass emphasis and more treble so it doesn't sound as warm. But you do get more detail, imagine, etc, but cost more too.

If you have the money, it's a no brainer. You probably do have the money since you consider HD800 as an option.

I get more bass out my HE-6 then my HE-500 
blink.gif

Dec 12, 2012 at 9:21 AM Post #127 of 1,025
Quote:

This is not true, as some people still prefer the sound signature of the HE-500 over the HE-6.
Also, just cause I'm a millionaire does not mean it would be a no brainer to buy the top of the line everything 
tongue_smile.gif

Dec 12, 2012 at 10:20 AM Post #129 of 1,025
Quote:

+1 i agree completely..with a good amp the he500 excels in almost all kinds of music

Dec 12, 2012 at 10:26 AM Post #130 of 1,025
Quote:
From a objectively better headphone.  Yes the HE-6 is a no brainer.

From a subjective personal preference you are correct.  HE-500 or the HE-6 is purely up to what you like.

Well if we're looking at it from an objective point of view, then this thread yields an easy answer.  HD800 is a no brainer.

But I fail to believe anything related to this hobby is objective, as we all not only hear different things, but the ways that the signals stimulate our brains all differ as well (Hence the differences in personal preference).

Dec 12, 2012 at 10:34 AM Post #131 of 1,025
Quote:
Well if we're looking at it from an objective point of view, then this thread yields an easy answer.  HD800 is a no brainer.

But I fail to believe anything related to this hobby is objective, as we all not only hear different things, but the ways that the signals stimulate our brains all differ as well (Hence the differences in personal preference).

This particular conversation was about the HE-6 and the HE-500 as I recall.  I'm aware what the thread says.  However, there are things related to this hobby that's objective - as you yourself point out - HD800 when related to the original question. 
wink_face.gif

Also as you said

"as we all not only hear different things, but the ways that the signals stimulate our brains all differ as well (Hence the differences in personal preference)."

Of course - this is objectively the subjective part 
biggrin.gif

Dec 12, 2012 at 10:39 AM Post #132 of 1,025
Quote:
 However, there are things related to this hobby that's objective - as you yourself point out - HD800 when related to the original question. 
wink_face.gif

Also as you said

"as we all not only hear different things, but the ways that the signals stimulate our brains all differ as well (Hence the differences in personal preference)."

Of course - this is objectively the subjective part 
biggrin.gif

Just conforming with popular belief and price differences for 'ranking' purposes 
wink_face.gif

Lol, I like that... "objectively the subjective part".  Very clever indeed.

Dec 12, 2012 at 11:35 AM Post #134 of 1,025
Quote:
This is not true, as some people still prefer the sound signature of the HE-500 over the HE-6.
Also, just cause I'm a millionaire does not mean it would be a no brainer to buy the top of the line everything 
tongue_smile.gif

I consider the HE-6 a superior can in abilities. I've heard but and it didn't take long to tell the HE-6 had a little more. This was back when the HE-500 barely came out when prices were about the same. Would I buy an HE-6 over an HE-500 now with the large price gap? Not sure.

I also prefer the sound signature of the HE-6 too. A bit of subjectivity and objectivity.

Dec 12, 2012 at 11:38 AM Post #135 of 1,025
Quote:
I consider the HE-6 a superior can in abilities. I've heard but and it didn't take long to tell the HE-6 had a little more. This was back when the HE-500 barely came out when prices were about the same. Would I buy an HE-6 over an HE-500 now with the large price gap? Not sure.

I also prefer the sound signature of the HE-6 too. A bit of subjectivity and objectivity.

I would in a heart beat..Hell I'll buy the HE-5LE over the HE-500 and they're the same price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back