HD800 vs HE500
Dec 5, 2012 at 3:00 PM Post #106 of 1,025
Quote:
I can relate to that... Why did I get married!!

I am in the process of rectifying that mistake. 
biggrin.gif

Dec 6, 2012 at 4:57 AM Post #109 of 1,025
Quote:
Lugbug, what's your take on LCD2.2 v. HE-500? I only had the Rev1 and now the HE-500.

I had both for about 6 months now and I've tried them with a few different mid-price set ups. Mainly different amps, (Asgard, Xcanv3, Necosoundlab, Audiogd C2, Mistral 509) and I'd say that they both respond well to normal dedicated hp amps. I've no want to try speaker taps for now. They both also have such a strong sound signature that there is not a "great" lot of difference in changing amps unless you are going from from budget to mid to high end etc. I'm only stating this, because with normal dynamic headphones there can be huge differences in amps. So my point is, if anyone is looking at these phones and thinking that they need a certain amp, then don't worry because they both sound great out of most quality headphone amps.

To the sound differences. Although they both share the trademark orthos sound (dark, detailed, liquidy, real) there is more than enough light and shade for me to justify owing both and to also label them for my music taste. I use the HE500's for Classical and Electronic and LCD2's for Jazz and Acoustic. This is of course my preference and they both do very well with all of these genres.

The HE500's are a dark horse... What I mean by this is, they keep surprising me! Every now and then I'll get a real "thrill" with a piece of music and actually "feel it" more so than with the LCD2's. I think it comes down to the larger dynamics at both ends. Although the bass is simply not as good as the LCD2's it has more of a fun bloom, and I can feel the vibrations more in the sub bass. The HE500's sound like speakers with super quality tweeters and bass that vibrates through a wooden floor. They have the best treble on any headphone I've heard yet. Period.  

The LCD2's took me a long time to fully appreciate (I bought the HE500's first). My experience with them over time, is that they grow and grow on you like a friend that you end up marrying haha. You do need to give them time.. Let your brain burn in with them! Me and my LCD2's will never part now, I love what they do and they do it so well. Yes they are dark and chocolaty, but they are the only headphone that I can wear for hours listening to Jazz without getting fatigue from Miles trumpet. We all know how good the bass is, but I love the sound as one whole. Its cohesive and natural to my ears, small soundstage but perfect for ensemble music. The treble is spot on, any more would ruin the whole. I'd compare them to a set of quality speakers on concrete flooring. Smooth and controlled from top to bottom.

The mids on both are exceptional. But my nod goes to the LCD2's because I find it hard to differentiate the bass, mid, treb as they are all one whole, very cohesive. The HE500's you can easily study the mids and although they have such an addictive quality that is deep (deeper than LCD2) and rich, there is a little creep of bass onto the lower mids. This may possibly dissipate on higher end amps.
 Imaging, is slightly better on the Hifimans as they do have a little more breathing space and air. Though on the rare occasion there is a little congestion sometimes in the mids when listening to very complex music.  
I dont listen to much vocal music so don't want to comment on that.

So its happy days for me and my two babies! A year ago I had the 650's and RS1's, and there was maybe a little too much night and day difference between them. Now with my two orthos I seem to have struck a more welcome balance and change. I can't imagine someone sitting and swapping a K701 or HD800 over to listen to the LCD2's for an hour.... Because it would take your ears and brain a week to get used to the sound! 

Both fantastic hp's, one is a bit darker and the other is a bit "zingy-er"  
L3000.gif

Dec 6, 2012 at 7:14 AM Post #110 of 1,025
Thanks for that--great write-up. And I totally agree about the brain needing to acclimatize. Switching between dissimilar phones and then sounding off about them is not a way to maintain your credibility. Neither should expensive decisions be thus made.

Something weird has happened to me. Out of curiousity, and because out of all the mid-price phones I've heard over the years I disliked them the least, I ordered a pair of Beyer DT880s (250 ohms).  I wasn't expecting much, but took to the sound right out of the box and have been liking them more and more as they burn in. Yes, they're a little bright so I need to  turn the treble to -4db (I use a receiver ), but with this slight adjustment they're capable of a performance way out of proportion to their cost ($240). Though the balance is different to the HE-500--less incisive, for one--they're capable of presenting just as realistic an image of a symphony orchestra, and are very tonally neutral and balanced. I'm not aware of any colouration, any resonances, and such sins they commit are those of omission, such as lack of very deep bass. It's confused me a little, as I thought I'd left all those mid-priced phones far behind in terms of serious listening. Have you had any experience with the DT880, I wonder?   

Dec 6, 2012 at 8:11 AM Post #112 of 1,025
Quote:
I had both for about 6 months now and I've tried them with a few different mid-price set ups. Mainly different amps, (Asgard, Xcanv3, Necosoundlab, Audiogd C2, Mistral 509) and I'd say that they both respond well to normal dedicated hp amps. I've no want to try speaker taps for now. They both also have such a strong sound signature that there is not a "great" lot of difference in changing amps unless you are going from from budget to mid to high end etc. I'm only stating this, because with normal dynamic headphones there can be huge differences in amps. So my point is, if anyone is looking at these phones and thinking that they need a certain amp, then don't worry because they both sound great out of most quality headphone amps.

To the sound differences. Although they both share the trademark orthos sound (dark, detailed, liquidy, real) there is more than enough light and shade for me to justify owing both and to also label them for my music taste. I use the HE500's for Classical and Electronic and LCD2's for Jazz and Acoustic. This is of course my preference and they both do very well with all of these genres.

The HE500's are a dark horse... What I mean by this is, they keep surprising me! Every now and then I'll get a real "thrill" with a piece of music and actually "feel it" more so than with the LCD2's. I think it comes down to the larger dynamics at both ends. Although the bass is simply not as good as the LCD2's it has more of a fun bloom, and I can feel the vibrations more in the sub bass. The HE500's sound like speakers with super quality tweeters and bass that vibrates through a wooden floor. They have the best treble on any headphone I've heard yet. Period.  

The LCD2's took me a long time to fully appreciate (I bought the HE500's first). My experience with them over time, is that they grow and grow on you like a friend that you end up marrying haha. You do need to give them time.. Let your brain burn in with them! Me and my LCD2's will never part now, I love what they do and they do it so well. Yes they are dark and chocolaty, but they are the only headphone that I can wear for hours listening to Jazz without getting fatigue from Miles trumpet. We all know how good the bass is, but I love the sound as one whole. Its cohesive and natural to my ears, small soundstage but perfect for ensemble music. The treble is spot on, any more would ruin the whole. I'd compare them to a set of quality speakers on concrete flooring. Smooth and controlled from top to bottom.

The mids on both are exceptional. But my nod goes to the LCD2's because I find it hard to differentiate the bass, mid, treb as they are all one whole, very cohesive. The HE500's you can easily study the mids and although they have such an addictive quality that is deep (deeper than LCD2) and rich, there is a little creep of bass onto the lower mids. This may possibly dissipate on higher end amps.
 Imaging, is slightly better on the Hifimans as they do have a little more breathing space and air. Though on the rare occasion there is a little congestion sometimes in the mids when listening to very complex music.  
I dont listen to much vocal music so don't want to comment on that.

So its happy days for me and my two babies! A year ago I had the 650's and RS1's, and there was maybe a little too much night and day difference between them. Now with my two orthos I seem to have struck a more welcome balance and change. I can't imagine someone sitting and swapping a K701 or HD800 over to listen to the LCD2's for an hour.... Because it would take your ears and brain a week to get used to the sound! 

Both fantastic hp's, one is a bit darker and the other is a bit "zingy-er"  
L3000.gif

Cool man.. 

You're right.  Listening to Miles Trumpet on the LCDs are a joy.  Not so much for a long period of time on the HE-500s.  Spot on with that.  
I happen to love female vocals on the HE-500s by the way
biggrin.gif

Dec 6, 2012 at 11:58 AM Post #113 of 1,025
Quote:
Thanks for that--great write-up. And I totally agree about the brain needing to acclimatize. Switching between dissimilar phones and then sounding off about them is not a way to maintain your credibility. Neither should expensive decisions be thus made.

Something weird has happened to me. Out of curiousity, and because out of all the mid-price phones I've heard over the years I disliked them the least, I ordered a pair of Beyer DT880s (250 ohms).  I wasn't expecting much, but took to the sound right out of the box and have been liking them more and more as they burn in. Yes, they're a little bright so I need to  turn the treble to -4db (I use a receiver ), but with this slight adjustment they're capable of a performance way out of proportion to their cost ($240). Though the balance is different to the HE-500--less incisive, for one--they're capable of presenting just as realistic an image of a symphony orchestra, and are very tonally neutral and balanced. I'm not aware of any colouration, any resonances, and such sins they commit are those of omission, such as lack of very deep bass. It's confused me a little, as I thought I'd left all those mid-priced phones far behind in terms of serious listening. Have you had any experience with the DT880, I wonder?   

No probs pp, I decided to start a thread with that same write up too (with pics :wink: http://www.head-fi.org/t/639785/he500-or-lcd2-or-both-please-share-your-impressions-mini-review

In regards to the DT880 I havent heard. But this hobby is funny like that, you may have struck great synergy with the Beyers and your reciever? It's all in the match, especially with dynamics.
I've never heard a Beyer headphone ever, but I often keep wanting to try one as they are supposed to be very good with classical. Also, I'm learning that it's definatley not always the more expensive that is better. For instance, I recently got given an old Arcam black box dac. I didn't have high hopes for it but once I pugged it in, I felt like I had bought a serious upgrade.. Such a natural and deep sound that is was very real and engaging compared to my thinner sounding 24 bit modern dacs. All this from a dac built in 1989 ha!

I think we should all start downgrading for better sound!
etysmile.gif

Dec 6, 2012 at 1:37 PM Post #115 of 1,025
Quote:
The HD800s are very nice and I would not call them dry at all,  but the HE500s have more, I don't know..., humanity, somehow.

The HD800 is a shapeshifter, depending on every piece of equipment it is connected to...
On some setups, it can veer towards the warm side, on some setups, it's dry and analytical, and believe it or not, on some setups it can actually be relatively fast.  

Dec 6, 2012 at 1:41 PM Post #116 of 1,025
Quote:
The HD800 is a shapeshifter, depending on every piece of equipment it is connected to...
On some setups, it can veer towards the warm side, on some setups, it's dry and analytical, and believe it or not, on some setups it can actually be relatively fast

I have to agree. The HD800 is the definition of ruthlessly revealing of whatever it is fed, all the way to the recording. GIGO x 2: garbage in, garbage out, but greatness in , greatness out.

I'm still amazed that the maker of the HD600/650, 424s, and Orpheus produced these. It's totally out of character and, I guess, a salute to Senn's willingness to innovate.

Dec 6, 2012 at 2:05 PM Post #117 of 1,025
I'm in the same situastion as OP, deciding about HD800 and HE-500. Also, considering LCD-2. Decisions, decisions....

Dec 6, 2012 at 2:15 PM Post #118 of 1,025
Quote:
The HD800s are very nice and I would not call them dry at all,  but the HE500s have more, I don't know..., humanity, somehow.

I think the word you are looking for is harmonics, HE500s have more harmonics that blend and give a thicker texture to the midrange, consequently it sounds richer.

Dec 6, 2012 at 2:17 PM Post #119 of 1,025
Quote:

Quote:

I think the word you are looking for is harmonics, HE500s have more harmonics that blend and give a thicker texture to the midrange, consequently it sounds richer.

Yea - I don't think humanity applies here 
biggrin.gif

Dec 6, 2012 at 2:23 PM Post #120 of 1,025
Quote:
I'm in the same situastion as OP, deciding about HD800 and HE-500. Also, considering LCD-2. Decisions, decisions....

And what type of sound are you after? What do you listen to? What's your current favorite headphone?

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back