HD800/LCD2 and Amps
Jan 11, 2015 at 12:10 PM Post #16 of 19
  Having listened to HD800 straight out of a box and an HD800 tricked out with audiophile cables and reverse-phasing, I still prefer the LCD house sound for rock. HD800 have unparalleled width, but the mids and bass are my cup of tea, which the LCDs cater to me. I listen to a lot of alt/space/mod rock and video game soundtracks. I don't do much classical, so I can't comment. I use the Mjolnir with my LCDs. I thought I read somewhere that Schiit uses LCD-2s to test their gear on, so it sounds like any Schiit will be a guaranteed match.

Thanks for the info! I'm really hoping the HD800s sound good, I know I love the LCDs but I'm trying to get the higher cost stuff out of the way haha.
So is the Mjolnir something youd reccomend? I'm really considering it and I found a review mentioning some cables that give the HD800 a lot more "meaty bass" but that will run me another $280.

So I'm either getting a Mjolnir and a 1/4" jack to XLR until I can afford a full xlr cable for them.
But I'm also considering a Vali and a Magni for a cheaper option and I can try out some tubes.

Jan 11, 2015 at 6:36 PM Post #17 of 19

Thanks for the info! I'm really hoping the HD800s sound good, I know I love the LCDs but I'm trying to get the higher cost stuff out of the way haha.
So is the Mjolnir something youd reccomend? I'm really considering it and I found a review mentioning some cables that give the HD800 a lot more "meaty bass" but that will run me another $280.

So I'm either getting a Mjolnir and a 1/4" jack to XLR until I can afford a full xlr cable for them.
But I'm also considering a Vali and a Magni for a cheaper option and I can try out some tubes.

I've seen people go either way on the HD800s. The pairs I listened to were using Solid State Schiit (the Ragnarok, actually), but I see a lot of Senn fans use tubes. It seems like a waste to buy "budget" gear to go with a flagship headphone, but if you're going to upgrade in the next 6 months, then sure, try the vali/magni combo. I'm not familiar with tube gear, but the HD800 thread will probably be helpful in choosing an amp.

Jan 11, 2015 at 6:40 PM Post #18 of 19
  I've seen people go either way on the HD800s. The pairs I listened to were using Solid State Schiit (the Ragnarok, actually), but I see a lot of Senn fans use tubes. It seems like a waste to buy "budget" gear to go with a flagship headphone, but if you're going to upgrade in the next 6 months, then sure, try the vali/magni combo. I'm not familiar with tube gear, but the HD800 thread will probably be helpful in choosing an amp.

I did end up going Mjolnir, but I have seen and been reccomended by a lot of people to use the Vali with the HD800. Either way I'll probably try it out since its the cheapest option for tubes and I don't know whether or not I like them yet. But this is only the beginning :wink: I still want LCDs and I'd like to try a few different amps and of course I have dacs to upgrade to as well.

Jan 11, 2015 at 6:42 PM Post #19 of 19

I did end up going Mjolnir, but I have seen and been reccomended by a lot of people to use the Vali with the HD800. Either way I'll probably try it out since its the cheapest option for tubes and I don't know whether or not I like them yet. But this is only the beginning :wink: I still want LCDs and I'd like to try a few different amps and of course I have dacs to upgrade to as well.

Ah, cool! the Mjo is a great amp. I think you'll enjoy it, especially when you get a pair of LCD headphones.

Happy listening!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back