HD800 and Vintage Cantonese Opera 帝女花 - 紫釵記
Jul 12, 2009 at 7:12 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

paulchiu

Headphoneus Supremus
Using headphones for cantonese opera is not something i like to do.
Vintage recordings from the 1960's of Yam Kim Fai (任劍輝) and Bak Sheut Sin (白雪仙) were recorded using the best equipment of the period headed by audio engineers from MIT and Germany. What was the main issue for headphone lovers is the strict female on the left channel which is problematic for prolong auditioning.

Since it has been some 2 weeks since my devils (#0666) HD800 has arrived, I have been using it across all my genres, but almost entirely older recordings. I consider this to be a true test. Starting from my 1920's Bruno Walters and onwards. So, why not cantonese opera and WOW! These are the most free speaker like for mono 1950 - 1960's hong kong recordings ever! I love the way the female voice in 白 is now extended out some distance from my left ear. With HD650 and even Grado GS1000s, she was tingling at my left ear lobes, now she is a few inches behind. That's quite something. Once this pressure of the headband goes away, I may finally see no HD800 and hello $25,000 speakers.

this was one of my recordings for this analysis.
SACD version.

note: been using now mostly the Grace M902B at 65 level, no x-feed.

1a2fddae2ee29b4dd4b2d60bbe926172.jpg

Jul 12, 2009 at 8:14 AM Post #2 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by paulchiu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Using headphones for cantonese opera is not something i like to do.
Vintage recordings from the 1960's of Yam Kim Fai (任劍輝) and Bak Sheut Sin (白雪仙) were recorded using the best equipment of the period headed by audio engineers from MIT and Germany. What was the main issue for headphone lovers is the strict female on the left channel which is problematic for prolong auditioning.

Since it has been some 2 weeks since my devils (#0666) HD800 has arrived, I have been using it across all my genres, but almost entirely older recordings. I consider this to be a true test. Starting from my 1920's Bruno Walters and onwards. So, why not cantonese opera and WOW! These are the most free speaker like for mono 1950 - 1960's hong kong recordings ever! I love the way the female voice in 白 is now extended out some distance from my left ear. With HD650 and even Grado GS1000s, she was tingling at my left ear lobes, now she is a few inches behind. That's quite something. Once this pressure of the headband goes away, I may finally see no HD800 and hello $25,000 speakers.

this was one of my recordings for this analysis.
SACD version.

note: been using now mostly the Grace M902B at 65 level, no x-feed.

65 sounds right if you have the source volume at max. Is Cantonese opera the same as Mandarin opera -- only in Cantonese? Or are we talking completely different genres? I have close to zero knowledge of either, BTW.

Jul 12, 2009 at 1:56 PM Post #4 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by feifan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
65 sounds right if you have the source volume at max. Is Cantonese opera the same as Mandarin opera -- only in Cantonese? Or are we talking completely different genres? I have close to zero knowledge of either, BTW.

you know Fei, cantonese opera is a subset of Peking opera. Not that much different in my limited view, just more focus in the vocals than the theatrics.
the singing in the best cantonese recordings are truly audiophile quality and now serves as pleasant material for my Grace GS1000i and Devil 666.

paul

Jul 12, 2009 at 1:58 PM Post #5 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by DefectiveAudioComponent /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is there a test track, or even a piece of a track to have a listen to somewhere (in a nice format) ? I'm a bit curious as to how this sounds, but not enough to buy an entire cd.

unfortunately no itunes downloads but i think Baidu has some but i cannot read well enough (in simplified chinese) to get you a link.

if you are in new york area, you can drop by and have a look.

paul

Jul 12, 2009 at 3:33 PM Post #7 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by moonboy403 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
任劍輝 and 白雪仙? Is this a joke?
tongue.gif

no
L3000.gif

mom's SACD is the real audiophile deal.
dad has the original reel to reel from the 1970's which he still plays on his Revox. The dynamics is so true compared with current day CDs

paul

Jul 12, 2009 at 5:00 PM Post #9 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by oldwine /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you like Cantonese Operas, try to get a AKG phone, you will surprise why they are so matches..
smily_headphones1.gif

the current line feels a little small on my head, I am afraid.
i cannot find any k1000, even on ebay, that looks decent.

frown.gif

Jul 12, 2009 at 6:16 PM Post #10 of 25
which version is it? the latest one
361520542_a9dc76819a_m.jpg
?

i haven't really tried them(boxset of 4 cds) with my headphones. i did try them with my portable setup(sr71a + er4s) and i did enjoy it.

Jul 12, 2009 at 6:39 PM Post #12 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by fhuang /img/forum/go_quote.gif
which version is it? the latest one
361520542_a9dc76819a_m.jpg
?

i haven't really tried them(boxset of 4 cds) with my headphones. i did try them with my portable setup(sr71a + er4s) and i did enjoy it.

the classic pair. not the students.
we have pretty much all formats of the classic pair recordings. in CDs, LPs, reel to reel, SACD and the DVD-A.
I kind of like the SACD of title songs for 帝女花 and 紫釵記.
The 1CD SACD has the entire clarity of the reel to reel without the "hiss".
Besides, I really cannot listen to my dad's revox in my office....

paul

Jul 12, 2009 at 6:41 PM Post #13 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by feifan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are we getting close with this YouTube video?

that's the pupils again.
the sonic of their recordings is not as good as the original 任 & 白.

paul

Jul 12, 2009 at 6:43 PM Post #14 of 25

Users who are viewing this thread

Back