HD800 "Anaxilus" Mod
Nov 1, 2011 at 11:18 PM Post #31 of 278

Quote:

Perhaps it's a difference in foam cell.  Purrin and myself definitely hear them as the graph shows.  Though, it just occurred to me that we don't have a reference for any of the older HD800s using this mod w/ the supposed 6k nastiness.  Are you an early or late model HD800?  Just curious.  

Anyway, if you get the best sound as is, hell that makes things easier.  Though experimenting with different materials is a possibility to consider since the phones are the only things we are likely to have in common.  Purrin and myself tuned off the same setup.

Thanks for your input Anax. You've brought up some points to consider. I don't hear it as the graph shows, which means there must be a difference in the foam I'm using. It looks the same, but it doesn't mean it's identical.
Also, aside from the frequency response, I'm definitely hearing a reduction in air/openness and soundstage. The more I obstruct the open mesh grill, the more pronounced the effect.

My HD800s are a late model, #9311. I've found the silver cable has already removed the hash/grain in the treble while increasing speed and microdetail. I guess I don't need the mod, but I'll try out some other materials out of curiosity.

Nov 2, 2011 at 2:46 AM Post #32 of 278

Quote:
Also, aside from the frequency response, I'm definitely hearing a reduction in air/openness and soundstage. The more I obstruct the open mesh grill, the more pronounced the effect.

Make sure you don't obstruct the mesh grill too much. Maybe 2mm past the metal ring at most. 

Nov 18, 2011 at 5:27 PM Post #33 of 278
Hey Purrin, you're like the Head-Fi superstar these days. As a complete moron, do you mind creating a step-by-step guide and/or possibly a template that we could use to do this mod?  I've looked at the previous "mod" postings and swear they are all in the same way: "here's a bunch of pictures and a graph -- go."

I know I should probably be more bothered by the "treble spike" but I swear I have only heard it once and have been unable to reproduce it since :frowning2:

Nov 18, 2011 at 5:49 PM Post #34 of 278
Although I think that Mr. Sneis meant to say "For a complete moron" rather than "As a complete moron", I second his request.  There seem to be two pieces for each earpiece, a ring-shaped one that goes over the metal surrounding the diaphragm and 2 mm onto the mesh, and what is sort of an elongated D shape.  Is that correct?  What is the correct placement for the second piece?

Nov 18, 2011 at 6:31 PM Post #35 of 278
Indeed I consider myself a moron: "a person with a mental age between 8 and 12." So are my cohorts. We like to post potty jokes and references all over the LCD3 threads. But they always seem to get deleted.

Nov 18, 2011 at 6:39 PM Post #36 of 278

Quote:
Hey Purrin, you're like the Head-Fi superstar these days. As a complete moron, do you mind creating a step-by-step guide and/or possibly a template that we could use to do this mod?  I've looked at the previous "mod" postings and swear they are all in the same way: "here's a bunch of pictures and a graph -- go."

I know I should probably be more bothered by the "treble spike" but I swear I have only heard it once and have been unable to reproduce it since :frowning2:

Will do. I'll figure out something by tonight.

As for the superstar thing, it was never my intention. I only wanted to pull fellow Head-Fi'ers from the abyss of ignorance and stupidity (not the intentional retard type of stupidity, but the ignorance type of stupidity.) Eventually my last words on Head-Fi will be "Oh wow! Oh wow! Oh wow!" Then I will never post on Head-Fi ever again.

Nov 18, 2011 at 9:54 PM Post #37 of 278

Quote:
Eventually my last words on Head-Fi will be "Oh wow! Oh wow! Oh wow!" Then I will never post on Head-Fi ever again.

Drop some acid and you should be all set on your journey.  

The elongated D shape is basically a trapezoid to match the exposed material.  We've both been running largely w/ dust covers off as well depending.

Nov 18, 2011 at 10:32 PM Post #38 of 278

HD800 Anax mod cutouts

I realized I can't post a full size JPG here. I will provide a link to a PDF file in a bit.

I'm too lame to make a PDF that prints out at the correct size. See below for tools and the process.

Nov 18, 2011 at 11:47 PM Post #39 of 278
Make sure you get the right stuff:

• Proper foam sheet: http://www.michaels.com/Creatology%E2%84%A2-Foam-Sheets/gc1328,default,pd.html
  • Roll of teflon tape at home depot
  • Kitchen sink stopper ~8.1-8.3cm in diameter.
  • Ball point pen
  • Scissors

1. The inner circle is drawn around a the side of the largest edge of a roll of teflon tape that can be found at home depot. It is 5.5cm in diameter
  2. The outer circle is drawn around a kitchen sink stopper. It is 8.1cm in diameter.

Nov 19, 2011 at 12:39 AM Post #41 of 278
Omg, you don't have CADD?  Sadly, my version is 10 years old and allergic to W7 64.  Let me see if my friend still has his up and running.

Nov 19, 2011 at 12:44 AM Post #42 of 278
Tracing around random stuff lying around is faster than CAD. I'll let you upload the fancy cad stuff.

Nov 19, 2011 at 12:58 AM Post #43 of 278

Quote:
Tracing around random stuff lying around is faster than CAD. I'll let you upload the fancy cad stuff.

Actually it's pretty fast w/ linear 2D stuff like that.  I'll see what I can do.

Nov 19, 2011 at 1:04 AM Post #44 of 278
 Honestly, how would you ever get the guts to cut open a pair of HD800s? I would be shaking at the sight of it :p

Nov 19, 2011 at 1:06 AM Post #45 of 278

Quote:
 Honestly, how would you ever get the guts to cut open a pair of HD800s? I would be shaking at the sight of it :p

Easy, you don't.  
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back