HD650s. . . .OMG. . . terr. . .
Nov 21, 2003 at 12:51 AM Post #61 of 107
Hehe. Came home today, and Fedex had my new HD-650's sitting there waiting for me....
very_evil_smiley.gif
600smile.gif

Nov 21, 2003 at 2:52 AM Post #62 of 107
Thanks Geek,

Yes I know now to burn in headphones (and cables). When I bought my first pair of headphones two years ago (Senn 580) I took tehm right back because they sounded so bad. Then I found this site and have been broke ever since!

At least with the cable taking a few weeks I'll have some time to listen with stock cable then compare.

Nov 21, 2003 at 3:11 AM Post #63 of 107
I'm listening to a mozart piano concerto right now on SACD. The sound is smoother than the HD600, with a fuller lower bass and less upperbass "pop" signature. The depth of the HD600 not as good as the 650s at this stage in burn-in.

The 650s are quickly reviving my electronic music: they are quick, smooth, and rich sounding with the first truly visceral bass that I've heard on open phones, without any coloration.

Cheers,
Geek

Nov 21, 2003 at 3:25 AM Post #64 of 107
the 580s are not bad ... you just need the right amp ... mine heh

Nov 21, 2003 at 10:44 PM Post #65 of 107
Just wanted to let everyone know that I am now officially part of the HD650 alliance. They were waiting for me when I got home this afternoon!! Very impressed so far. Can't wait until they are fully burned in.

Nov 22, 2003 at 12:32 AM Post #66 of 107
At about 40 hours, the sound is opening up a bit.

The HD600s still have a more prominent treble. The highs on the HD600s sound cold and flat compared to the HD650, though. The midrange is much different on the HD650, currently.

The difference is akin to comparing a instrumentalist playing a piece of music in two music halls. Both have a deep airy sound. One music hall though is brighter (HD600), while the other one sounds vast and rich (HD650). The detail is there in both cases. The highs on the 650s sound less tinny (if that's possible!) and less etched (I know lots of people hear the treble etch of the 600s; I think it's very unnoticeable when the phones are driven properly).

The HD650s are still smashing the HD600s in terms of bass extension and resolution, although the sound is a bit muddy in comparision, it's not as bad as when I first plugged the 650s in.

For those of you who thought the HD600s had a treble etch, a veiled midrange, and too little bottom end, rejoice. This is at the 40 hour stage of burn in, cardas cable, MOH(R), m-paths, NS500V SACD and computer soundcard.

Cheers,
Geek

Nov 22, 2003 at 4:29 PM Post #67 of 107
I'm listening to some of my favorite electronic music right now comparing both headphones.

The HD650s have opened up to the point where the highs are in proportion to the rest of the frequency. Bass is still just as strong and deep but more controlled. Mids are incredible, they smoke the HD600s completely (how is this possible? Just pick a pair up and listen!). I'm hearing more midrange detail and better imaging, and the tone of the midrange matches the instrument. Amazing.

When I switch back to the HD600s, the sound is just cold and flat in comparision. Highs are more prominent, but the detail is blurred considerably compared to the 650s. Bass response is deep on the 600s but it rolls off too much compared to the 650s. The 600s have a neutral midrange but it's anemic compared to the 650s' midrange.

I recommend this headphone to anyone with a decent amp, a decent source, and about 600 bucks to spend (the cardas cable is good with these cans). Listeners who favor a musical, balanced, natural sound will love these headphones. The 600s were great phones, but they're just cold and fuzzy in comparison.

I'll post any changes that occur, but this pretty much ends the burn-in ordeal for now.

Cheers,
Geek

Nov 22, 2003 at 4:36 PM Post #68 of 107
I've read your impressions of the HD650 with interest, since I'm currently looking for a new set of phones. It looks asif they may be worth considering.

The lowest prices I've seen for the HD600 and HD650 are £130 and £285.

Are the HD650's worth twice as much as the HD600?

Nov 22, 2003 at 6:42 PM Post #69 of 107
Hrm, I need to try these out.

I enjoyed my hd600s (without any cable upgrades) for a good while, but my current favorite cans are the sony 3000s.

I'd love to compare these two.

Geek - wouldn't happen to have a pair of 3k's you could write up a quick comparison to, woulda ya?
biggrin.gif

Nov 22, 2003 at 6:57 PM Post #70 of 107
Quote:

Originally posted by Geek
At about 40 hours, the sound is opening up a bit.

The HD600s still have a more prominent treble. The highs on the HD600s sound cold and flat compared to the HD650, though. The midrange is much different on the HD650, currently.

The HD650s sounding even warmer than the HD600s?

Stax, here I come, I think.

Regards,

L

Nov 22, 2003 at 7:35 PM Post #72 of 107
Quote:

Originally posted by lextek
Very, warm.

Too bad. I was hoping for something rather different.

More "emotional" (according to the manufacturer)? I was afraid of that...

Regards,

L.

Nov 22, 2003 at 7:56 PM Post #73 of 107
I dont find the hd650 overly warm. Its just very smooth and tonally rich, though it does have a slight darkness about it with the stock cable; which I like. The equinox cable really opens up the sound and improves transparency if you suspect the 650 will be to dark or warm for you. If you enjoy the 600 I find the 650 corrects the flaws that bothered me with the 580 and its stock cable. The 650 has a less hashy and more coherent treble and a much more linear bass, plus improved bass extension, compared to the old stock 580 I owned. I can listen to the 650's for hours with no fatigue; and this is the only headphone I have found I can make that claim with.

Nov 22, 2003 at 8:00 PM Post #74 of 107
Quote:

Originally posted by sacd lover
I dont find the hd650 overly warm. Its just very smooth and tonally rich, though it does have a slight darkness about it with the stock cable; which I like. The equinox cable really opens up the sound and improves transparency if you suspect the 650 will be to dark or warm for you. If you enjoy the 600 I find the 650 corrects the flaws that bothered me with the 580 and its stock cable. The 650 has a less hashy and more coherent treble and a much more linear bass, plus improved bass extension, compared to the old stock 580 I owned.

Everything you say here leads me to believe that you're talking about an un-broken-in pair of HD580s. Exactly my experience at first (and all of it went away upon break in): 'Hashy' and incoherent treble, unlinear bass, bass extension not that great.

Unless you state otherwise, I really believe this is a perfect description of a brand new, pre-40-hour pair of HD580s. You've really nailed their "out of box" sound, but they no longer sound like that after about 40-60 hours of break-in time... and even less after 100+ hours. The first to disappear was the treble hash/harshness, so I'm guessing you must not have had them too long.

Nov 22, 2003 at 8:09 PM Post #75 of 107
Quote:

Originally posted by sacd lover
a much more linear bass

Now this sounds more promising. Guess I have to give the HD650 a listen anyway. Thanks.

Regards,

L.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back