HD650's and Little Dot MKV
Mar 31, 2010 at 3:33 AM Post #17 of 20
Got my amp today!

Its a bigger difference than I thought. It doesnt really add any energy to the sound, but I do notice the bass is more dramatic and controlled (Smooth almost). This is what everyone says, but now I can see how you could get bored of the amp.

Personally I think the laid back dark signature of the HD650 was just complimented by the MKV because I loved it from the start.

Boy this thing is heavy too! Defiantly feels of quality.

Audio at lower qualitys with lots of bass sound like crap. It sound like pure distortion when the bass thumps in a > 320kb/s song. The WAV songs could never be clearer.

Another thing that shocked me about the amp was the decay on sound, Vocals with reverb trail of forever... Maybe twice as long!

I think the amp really compliments the headphones and coming from the cmoy the improvements I saw were in areas I expected. I think at this point diminishing returns is really going to kick in with the quality-price ratio with better amps. I think upgrading headphones will be the next step.

Overall I'm loving it so far, its only been a few hours of listening!

Mar 31, 2010 at 1:40 PM Post #18 of 20
Hey well glad to see you finally got your amp! And it is good to hear that you are pleased with it. I wonder if you like your akg's out of that amp? Those are hard to drive and I wonder if the amp is up to it? How about your grados for that matter? I bet they sound amazing! It's a good amp, for sure. Well built, quality, and does it's job well. In fact, I am going to keep mine.

I decided the amp wasn't the problem with what I was hearing. I bought a new pair of d5000's which arrived yesterday. My initial reaction is well pleased. Much more energy than the senn's. And they still haven't broken in yet! I am loving it.

Mar 31, 2010 at 4:29 PM Post #19 of 20
Sweet! The d5000 will be my next headphone if not the HD800..

The Grados benefit more from the amp then I expected, the sound stage increased a lot. As for the akgs, the improvement wasn't on par with the HD650s or the grados but it was still there. The bass increased and the high end is a little less harsh..

How is the bass on the d5000 compared to the HD650?

Apr 1, 2010 at 2:15 AM Post #20 of 20
No comparison. The bass on the hd650 is basically just "there". Kinda just filling up space. The bass on the d5000 makes itself known. Of course, it depends on what you are listening to. I put in the planet of the apes (2001) soundtrack and listened to the last song. I was blown away! I have never, ever, ever heard such bass. It was awesome. It was, well, it's cliche, but it was thunderous. It just reverberated forever. But it was also not overpowering the other frequencies, not crowding them out at all. I am a basshead so I really appreciate that. Overall the sound is just more aggressive, with more detail, IMO. But I am getting ahead of myself, I have only listened to them for maybe 5 or 6 hours.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back