HD650 Headband Paint Chipping
Oct 11, 2007 at 2:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

illkemist

100+ Head-Fier
Has anyone else had this problem? I treat my cans very well, but today I notice the paint chipping off the headband. I was mortified because I've only had these headphones for a couple of months now. I cannot find this part online either. Everyone sells replacement pads, but not the headband itself. I'm tempted to use some type of applicant to keep the paint from completely coming off. Any suggestions?

Oct 11, 2007 at 3:38 PM Post #2 of 23
It happens pretty frequently.

Basically, the paint that Sennheiser used on the headband isn't fully compatible with the plastic the headband is made of. Either that or the headband was not properly prepped for painting, and still had release agents on it.

If they're only a few months old you should be able to convince sennheiser to give you a new headband, since it is a manufacturing defect.

Some people have tried coating the headband to stop the chipping and have found that it actually makes the problem much worse - probably because of the solvents in the clearcoat.

Oct 11, 2007 at 4:13 PM Post #3 of 23
Buy a Beyer 880/770 snap on headband pad (about $12.00 plus shipping), rip out the foam rubber on the 650 headband, snap on the beautiful new real leather headband and enjoy. If you get a new headband from Sennheiser, the problem will eventually come back.

Oct 11, 2007 at 4:25 PM Post #4 of 23
I have read that a number of folks in order to get rid of the Sennheiser Clamp, will spread their cans apart on a bunch of books to try to get them to relax.

We have since learned that this practice can lead to cracking and failure of the entire headband as the metal bits that secure the housings to the adjusters in the band don't extend all the way through the band.

I feel silly for asking; but does this chipping have anything to do with spreading the phones over some books, or a basketball or something?

Oct 11, 2007 at 4:25 PM Post #5 of 23
That's my take on it - it's just a lousy paint job.

Oct 11, 2007 at 4:53 PM Post #6 of 23
I've heard of folks stripping their head-bands, its grey underneath, well it was. Then using a bit of clear varnish or re-painting a funky colour.

Quite an involved job. I had a link to spare parts, for my 580s, which included 650 headbands, about £70...pounds. Dead link now.

http://www.strachan-direct.co.uk/aca...dbands_17.html

580 Jubilee or 600 Avantgarde.

Oct 11, 2007 at 5:21 PM Post #7 of 23
i think it happens due to the fact that the paint they use on the HD650 is a bit too thick and also because the paint isn't stretchy (well... it does not expand)

when you put the headphone on, the headband banded outward... but the pain was applied when the headband was in the original curve.. so... the button part of the headband will stretch out a bit and because the paint is not stretchable.. it started to become separate from the headband it self.

my method of preventing further paint is to apply a thin layer of nail polish. onto the headband where paint is chipping.
It will prevent the paint from falling off/peel off from the headband

Oct 11, 2007 at 5:30 PM Post #8 of 23
Interesting; I haven't read of this happening to the HD600, and I notice that my particular set of HD600 have a perfect paint job....it may look like fake marble, bit it's well applied!
tongue.gif

.....I'll have to do a search.
blink.gif

Oct 11, 2007 at 5:36 PM Post #9 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by ericj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It happens pretty frequently.

Basically, the paint that Sennheiser used on the headband isn't fully compatible with the plastic the headband is made of. Either that or the headband was not properly prepped for painting, and still had release agents on it.

If they're only a few months old you should be able to convince sennheiser to give you a new headband, since it is a manufacturing defect.

Some people have tried coating the headband to stop the chipping and have found that it actually makes the problem much worse - probably because of the solvents in the clearcoat.

Thanks for the info. I sent an email along to Sennheiser. We'll see what they have to say. But I am worried that another headband will have the same defect. I may just have to get over it or transplant my HD580 headband.

Quote:

Originally Posted by F107plus5 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I feel silly for asking; but does this chipping have anything to do with spreading the phones over some books, or a basketball or something?

No. My cans lay on my desk when not in use. There is no unusual stress on them.

Oct 11, 2007 at 5:39 PM Post #10 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by DSlayerZX /img/forum/go_quote.gif
my method of preventing further paint is to apply a thin layer of nail polish. onto the headband where paint is chipping.
It will prevent the paint from falling off/peel off from the headband

Someone else suggested that very same remedy to me. I may have to give it a shot. Thanks.

Oct 11, 2007 at 6:25 PM Post #11 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by F107plus5 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Interesting; I haven't read of this happening to the HD600, and I notice that my particular set of HD600 have a perfect paint job....it may look like fake marble, bit it's well applied!
tongue.gif

.....I'll have to do a search.
blink.gif

I had my 580s for millions of years, well 4 or 5.
tongue.gif
When I sold them, the head-band had the tiniest wear marks.

Oct 12, 2007 at 2:19 PM Post #13 of 23
So now, Sennheiser has recommended that I send the headphones in for repair. Since the headphones are still within the two year warranty, the work is going to be covered by warranty. Turnaround time is about two weeks. I guess it's time to give them up for a while. I am pleased that they are offering to take care of this under warranty. I'm not sure that many companies would do this for a cosmetic defect.

Oct 12, 2007 at 2:20 PM Post #14 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by jilgiljongiljing /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not meaning to scare you or something but based on a recent popular thread, ...have you taken off the foam pads and checked if it says 580 on your drivers? :p

No, but I have a pair of 580s and I can definitely hear a difference between the two. I have no concerns about the authenticity of my cans.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back