HD650 / HD600 / HD580 - Comfortable, Uncomfortable, or Fractured?
Aug 10, 2009 at 8:40 PM Post #16 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by Graphicism /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I had my 580s placed over a box for weeks when I wasn't using them, the vice grip clamp was too much for me.

Stretching headphones over a box or stack of books does reduce the clamping force over time, and this is a good option for some headphones. However, this method is entirely unnecessary with the HD650 / HD600 / HD580.

Stretching these headphones over a box or stack of books does loosen the metal part of the headband (good), but it also stresses the non-metal part of the headband (bad), and it stresses the ear pads (bad) which contributes to their degradation.

The proper way to adjust these headphones is to bend the steel bands as described in this thread's original post. Doing so provides instant and customized comfort with no degradation to the ear pads.

Aug 11, 2009 at 1:01 AM Post #17 of 54
My votes might have been confusing. I never needed to stretch the headband for good comfort. When brand new they were slightly tight for a few days, no big deal. After 2 years+ of heavy use(not abuse), the headband cracked.

But I fixed it.
icon10.gif

2282454630044175878S500x500Q85.jpg

[size=large]Ugly but still sound great![/size]

Aug 11, 2009 at 1:42 AM Post #20 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by GreatDane /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I never needed to stretch the headband for good comfort. When brand new they were slightly tight for a few days, no big deal.

Wearing these headphones for a few days while still tight is not the proper way to adjust it for comfort. This prematurely degrades the ear pads and stresses the non-metal part of the headband.

Aug 11, 2009 at 4:01 AM Post #21 of 54
Quote:

My votes might have been confusing. I never needed to stretch the headband for good comfort. When brand new they were slightly tight for a few days, no big deal. After 2 years+ of heavy use(not abuse), the headband cracked.

But I fixed it.
icon10.gif

I actually find that cool looking, just have to somehow hide that crack.

1time has a great guide for adjusting, it's been very comfortable since.

Aug 11, 2009 at 4:49 AM Post #22 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by 1Time /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Stretching headphones over a box or stack of books does reduce the clamping force over time, and this is a good option for some headphones. However, this method is entirely unnecessary with the HD650 / HD600 / HD580.

Stretching these headphones over a box or stack of books does loosen the metal part of the headband (good), but it also stresses the non-metal part of the headband (bad), and it stresses the ear pads (bad) which contributes to their degradation.

The proper way to adjust these headphones is to bend the steel bands as described in this thread's original post. Doing so provides instant and customized comfort with no degradation to the ear pads.

Don't be silly, it wasn't bent over the box that our new oven arrived in but a small one, about the size of my head. It was no different than wearing them myself, and well if this degrades the ear pads then the headphone must be flawed. And I wouldn't suggest actually bending the steel band as your suggest, that's how you break them.

Aug 11, 2009 at 4:56 AM Post #23 of 54
My HD580 and HD600 have always fit me very comfortably. I never had stretch them or bend them to get a comfortable fit. Sometimes it is good to have a skinny head.

In fact, I never even realized that the fit for the HD580/600/650 could be so tight for some people till I went to my first meet this year. There I saw an HD650 with pads that had the life squeezed out of them and scrunched up totally flat. How tight is the HD650 if it is doing that to the pads? Yikes! My HD580 and HD600 are over 10 years old and still on the original pads. The original pads still have the same shape as when new and have plenty of life left in them. I expect them to last me many more years.

Aug 11, 2009 at 7:01 AM Post #24 of 54
The HD-650 was slightly uncomfortable at first, but broke in and I eventually adjusted to them. Then they were as comfortable as a nicely broken-in shoe.

The HD-600 was comfortable from the start.

I think I have an average-sized head. The HD-800 was comfortable from the first minute and I haven't found any other headphones to be uncomfortable. The only other comfort issue I've found with other headphones is itchy Grado bowls, but washing them takes care of that.

Aug 12, 2009 at 2:17 AM Post #27 of 54
Quote:

But I fixed it.
icon10.gif

I have a Beyer Headband pad on my 650s to hide paint chips. You might want to try that to hide your fix (although it looks pretty cool) but the headband cover may not fit due to the extra thickness.

Aug 12, 2009 at 7:13 AM Post #28 of 54
Lolbroke. HD650 for the lose. It has a sony MDR-F1 band now:

twcu4.jpg

Aug 15, 2009 at 2:09 PM Post #29 of 54
I'm sort of lucky to have short hair and a small nugget, my 580's didn't need to be adjusted beyond sliding the band down a bit. Very comfortable, compared the an sr60 and shure IEMs.

Aug 25, 2009 at 9:27 PM Post #30 of 54
hi " i just recently owned a pair of the 650s <> five weeks now (i am not hijacking this thread) but i also own a 09 ZERO DAC/USB/AMP that" used to make my ATH-AD700 AND SENN HD-595 sounded like their connected directly to binding post of my amplifier . well it's a new ball game with the HD-650 except for a slightly not too relax male vocals which may fix it self over time... that been said---i vote for (comfortable after proper adjustment.) and then it disappear from my head .
so far so good them two working out just fine

Users who are viewing this thread

Back