HD650, AD2000, W11jpn amateur impressions
Mar 16, 2009 at 10:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

dreamwhisper

1000+ Head-Fier
listening impressions:

DAC: EMU 0404 PCI (unless otherwise stated)
Amp: Gilmore Lite

HD650 was used with my Corda Aria, EMU-0404 and Darkvoice 332, Lavry DA10 & Balanced Beta 22 not volume matched with other headphones
AD2000 has had 100 hours burn in
and w11 jpn is 10 years old and I assume well burnt in
audiotechnica's were volume matched approx.

AD2000 v. HD650
With electronic music the AD2000 tells HD650, that I'm your daddy, and the HD650 tells him to watch her shake her booty.
AD2000 looks upon this gratuitous exposition with calm and concise bass control.
The AD2000 is a perfectionist.
and wants you to hear the mids with a hand-held magnifying glass.
The HD650 has a magnifying glass of its own, focused on its bass, and even when run balanced the bass still sounds gratuitous with electronic music and the frequent heavy bass accompanying it.

However, when the HD650's play acoustic anything music, the sound is quite spectacular.
Not so with electric guitar, when the ball is back in AD2000's camp with a shredder's paradise midrange and nightmarishly fast percussion and taught bass supporting the mids.
Example - Tool - Jambi. Revel in the glory of the slicing guitars.

The soundstage on the Ad20000 is now with a starter amp and a crap source feels more believable than the HD650s soundstage.
I' not taking about depth or width. I can't remember what those were like.
But the air in the soundstage of the AD2000 makes it more believable.
When listening to Talpa - Moronic Evil (rmx) I had the impression there was a piano in front of me. And I look for it.

Although I know that the bass on my EM0404 is sloppy as all hell.
With the Bel Canto DAC3,
When listening to Vibesquad - Snagglepuss
with the AD2000s I can really feel the bass impact and the mids and highs are fuzzy and warmish.

at first I didn't hear much warmth with the Bel Canto DAC3, but it's burning my ears in with that.
the music is also colored by the AD2000's tendency for forward mids.

W11 JPN

w11 jpn create a zone in my music where I don't need to analyze it.
It almost puts me in a trance, especially with music that I know.
Listening to Shpongle - Levitation Nation

However, the sounds blend together from a combination of high detail retrieval from the w11jpn as well as my EMU's poor transient reproduction. bad source. baad.

It really is stunning how things pop in and out of existence in the midrange of the w11jpn. It is the kind of magic that was hinted at with the HD650, and still not present when ran balanced. It is the complete evolution.
The mids aren't just to die for, they kill me. and everything sounds natural. Like I would imagine listening to a good vinyl rig would be like. Effortlessly breathing music into the air. Juicier music than with DT880, HD650, W5000.

the midbass/low mids on the W5000 aren't as present, which is essential for me in forming a cohesive sound structure.
The W5000 when underdriven (not having their own dedicated rig) are more fragmented into different sections like that.
W5000 is airier than w11 jpn and more focused on the higher mids. Which sounds great as well.

Both headphones sound best in their own rig, and I would say the W5000 needs it the most.
I didn't get a chance to hear the W11 JPN at their best...

AD2000 and w11 jpn are totally different approaches to audio. AD2000 is a detail freak and w11 jpn smooth-talks you into not really caring about detail.
They both have their place in someone's collection.

The AD2000's simply have more air. And for me that means more believability.
Which is why as I listen to Diana Krall, with the Bel Canto and AD2000 I'm having a hard time leaving to go to the post office to mail off my W11 JPNs.

...arrgh now thisl:
Amazon.com: La Rosa: MP3 Downloads: Aquila

Cya later
wink.gif

Mar 16, 2009 at 11:09 PM Post #4 of 14
Well this was fun to read. Thank you very much!

Mar 17, 2009 at 12:16 AM Post #5 of 14
awesome review!l

Mar 17, 2009 at 1:17 AM Post #7 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by dreamwhisper /img/forum/go_quote.gif

w11 jpn create a zone in my music where I don't need to analyse it.

This is exactly how I feel about the W11JPN and the W10VTG.

Mar 17, 2009 at 1:20 AM Post #8 of 14
Nice read!
I should've snagged the W10VTGs I saw for about $250 a really long time ago.
frown.gif

I'd probably be done searching for something else.

Mar 17, 2009 at 1:21 AM Post #9 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ishcabible /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nice read!
I should've snagged the W10VTGs I saw for about $250 a really long time ago.
frown.gif

GAH! You didn't!? Feel bad, feel very very bad!

Mar 17, 2009 at 1:23 AM Post #10 of 14
I know! I am.
I am the luckiest guy when it comes to looking for headphones, but never actually buy them. I wonder what happened to them. Hopefully a head-fier has them. They had W11JPN pads but the lettering was scratched off, but not like I'd sell them, so I didn't care.

Mar 17, 2009 at 1:40 AM Post #11 of 14
this is a very cool review dreamwhisper .... i really liked it when you said you were looking for the piano ... keep posting!

Mar 17, 2009 at 3:14 AM Post #12 of 14
Great review... a comment about pianos on the ad2k though, Its got to be my biggest reason why I sold them. The pianos sounded honky. You must either have a small head or your ad2ks are not so tight fitting. I hear my issues with them go away after their fit becomes loose more like some ad700s

Mar 17, 2009 at 8:16 AM Post #13 of 14
I did the phatpad mod
This makes them fit farther away from my ears.
I couldn't stand them stock either. But now they are my favorite cans.

at the time I heard the piano I was running a crappy DAC (EMU 0404), that merely outlined the fact that a piano was there in the soundstage.
I though this was sweet but the piano sounded unrealistic, particularily on the attack and decay of notes (tranisent reproduction)
The Bel Canto DAC3 rocks the EMU as well as my Lavry and Electrocompaniet with how well it reproduces piano,
...as well as Diana Krall haha

Users who are viewing this thread

Back