HD650 a poor choice for low-level listening?
Jun 15, 2011 at 9:53 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

bassophile

100+ Head-Fier
I've heard people say that you need to push the volume on these as they have a laid-back sound. Bass isn't very punchy at low volumes, lack of treble spike may give false impression of low detail, music sounds uninvolving...etc...

Do any of you listen at a low volume, and what do you think?

Jun 15, 2011 at 10:17 AM Post #2 of 3
If your listening area is pretty quiet you might be able to listen soft enough for the bass and treble not to really come out at you due to the equal loudness contours and what not.

Something like the Beyer DT990 might be better if you're looking for a built in loudness curve.

Jun 15, 2011 at 11:35 AM Post #3 of 3
If you're not too opposed to EQ'ing, you may want to give them a slight boost when listening at low levels.  I found that the HD650 benefited with just a +2dB bump to the treble and bass controls on my Denon receiver (kind of like using a Loudness knob).

Otherwise, while the HD650 is a tremendous set of headphones, I found that there are better sets for exclusively low level listening.  I don't know what your budget is, but I really liked the Grado GS1000.  With that in mind, they are almost unbearable to my ears at moderate levels.       

Users who are viewing this thread

Back