HD600--where are the medium cable upgrades?
Jun 27, 2009 at 9:47 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

Rainbow Randy

Formerly known as Chicomm4
It seems like there's no middle ground upgrading the cable--either really cheap ($12.55 for HD650 cable) or $200+ for commercial upgrade cables. Absurd, I say! Absurd!

So I'd like to spend $30-60. As someone who's never spent more than $30 on a cable, I am disinclined to go much higher. Any options?

And does the HD650 cable sound better/different, or is it just more durable? Thanks for any help.

P.S.

What is up with a $300 headphone using a cable that looks and feels like one would find on a $30 headphone?

Jun 27, 2009 at 9:58 AM Post #2 of 17
I agree with you,there are no middle options for someone who doesn't want to spend too much money for cardas-saa equinox or other more expensive cables.

But i think there is the possibility to diy,just buy a good quality cable,terminate it with a good quality headphone jack...but you need to have some experience with do-it-yourself stuff...

I have hd 600 with 650 cable.The difference in sound quality is minimal,the 650 cable seems to be a bit thicker at the midbass-bass and a bit less airier(it has a bit more body)but the differences are prety minimal.

Jun 27, 2009 at 9:59 AM Post #3 of 17
Quote:

Performance TIP: The Sennheiser HD600/580 stock headphone cable is MUCH better sonically than the Sennheiser HD650 stock cable. The HD650 stock headphone cable uses considerably more signal polluting dielectric which degrades the audio signal. If you want to improve the overall sound of your HD650's, change the stock headphone cable to the HD600/580 stock headphone cable. That improvement just scratches the surface as far as how much sonic improvement the Equinox cables offer the Sennheiser HD650, HD600 and HD580 headphones.

Stefan AudioArt Home

Jun 27, 2009 at 10:21 AM Post #4 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by olblueyez /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Stefan AudioArt Home

Although i'm not a so experienced user as many here at headfi,i find that a bit too much.I think it is much exxagerated,it's probably marketing trick in order to make people buy their cables and not the 650.

I didn't find 650 cable to be better than the hd 600,but not worse either.Just different.But i say again,that's just me.Different people have different opinions(and experience)

I should also mention that i have tried the cardas cable(the grey one,not the blue)and it suffered from microphonics so i returned it back.It was better(to my ears)compared to both hd600/650 cable(better clarity,less grainy sound,a bit tighter better defined bass,and a bit smoother overall sound)but the microphonics were a bit annoying.

Jun 27, 2009 at 11:04 AM Post #7 of 17
The headphone connectors shipped is $20 alone(recently reduced from $35). Furutech plug for $10+s/h Neutrik plug I think $3-4+s/h.. Heatshrink adds a few dollars... even harder to source, and more expensive are 3:1 adhesive in the right sizes.
And then.. theres the actual cable, shielding, and sleeving(optional)

So even DIY cables aren't -that- cheap.

The last senn cable I made cost $70, excluding cost of any tools

Jun 27, 2009 at 11:10 AM Post #8 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by JamesL /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The last senn cable I made cost $70, excluding cost of any tools

was it better overall than the hd 600/650 cable?Compared to other "hi end" cables?

Jun 27, 2009 at 11:34 AM Post #9 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by john53 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
was it better overall than the hd 600/650 cable?Compared to other "hi end" cables?

I'm not particularly a cable believer, but the person who received it commented that he was overwhelmed by the quicker and lighter sound, which helped the somewhat bass-heavy and veiled characteristics of the hd650's.

Jun 27, 2009 at 3:24 PM Post #10 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiComm4 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So I'd like to spend $30-60. As someone who's never spent more than $30 on a cable, I am disinclined to go much higher. Any options?

At the price range you listed, your only options are either go with the Sennheiser HD650 cable or simply stick with what you have. Why are you even looking to change cables?

You could buy used commercially made replacement cables. It shouldn't be too hard to find a used one in the $110-$180 range. You may get lucky and find one around $60-$80.

As already mentioned, DIY route is a great alternative but it will set you back more than $60, and this is assuming you already have the necessary tools. I was told by the maker of my DIY Sennheiser cable that material cost was more than $130. It sounds fantastic, by the way (better in all ways compared to all the commercial replacement cables that I've owned).

Whether or not a cable is worth it to you and may look cheap, there is the undeniable fact of material cost alone which will likely exceed what you believe cables should cost.

Jun 27, 2009 at 6:54 PM Post #12 of 17
I've made several DIY sennheiser cables and they haven't cost me too much. Perhaps it's because I'm just using cheap Canare starquad but they haven't cost me more than somewhere in the $40s for parts.

Jun 27, 2009 at 6:59 PM Post #13 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by john53 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Although i'm not a so experienced user as many here at headfi,i find that a bit too much.I think it is much exxagerated,it's probably marketing trick in order to make people buy their cables and not the 650.

I didn't find 650 cable to be better than the hd 600,but not worse either.Just different.But i say again,that's just me.Different people have different opinions(and experience)

I should also mention that i have tried the cardas cable(the grey one,not the blue)and it suffered from microphonics so i returned it back.It was better(to my ears)compared to both hd600/650 cable(better clarity,less grainy sound,a bit tighter better defined bass,and a bit smoother overall sound)but the microphonics were a bit annoying.

Sounds like you cant be pleased. Keep the one you have.

Jun 27, 2009 at 7:08 PM Post #14 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by olblueyez /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sounds like you cant be pleased. Keep the one you have.

why do you say that?I have no problem with my hd 650 cable(neither i had with the 600 cable,i just didn't want to use an adaptor for the plug)
The cardas was good but every time i was moving my head and the cable scratced my clothes,this sound was transfered through the cans.
for 140 euro(compared to the 36 euro the 650 cable costs)then yes,i can't be pleased.

Jun 27, 2009 at 8:12 PM Post #15 of 17
When I replaced my stock cable for my HD580's with a 650 cable I thought their would be a major improvement in sq. I was disappointed to say the least. And as you just stated, the sound was 'different' not better. After reading this post, I decided to put the stock cable back on my 580's and give the stock system a re-hearing. I can say the switch back was just as uneventful but I like the sq now more that with the 650 cable. Go figure
wink_face.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back