HD600 left channel quieter than right
May 21, 2011 at 4:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

disgruntleddave

100+ Head-Fier
Greetings all,

A  little while ago I purchased hd600s from another user on these boards. I only tried them through an underpowered setup at his location, so I didn't hear any major issues.
I have recently gotten an amp and the left channel is slightly quieter than the right. I didn't hear this previously when driving them just from my zune.

The user said that they were working properly, and I had little reason to doubt.
I have read posts by others where one side stops working completely, but I'm not sure if it is common for there to be a volume imbalance.
Does anyone have any advice beyond going for it and just ordering a replacement driver?

May 21, 2011 at 4:23 PM Post #2 of 4
Make sure the connector plugs are pushed in all the way into each side. The side that is softer might have a loose plug. If that doesn't change anything, try swapping the L/R plugs around to see whether the problem remains on the same side (driver issue) or if it moves to the other side (cable/plug issue).

If you have a multimeter, use that to measure the resistance of each driver. Try it with and without the cable.

You should also verify with another pair of headphones that your amp isn't the source of the imbalance.

May 21, 2011 at 4:37 PM Post #3 of 4
I think it may be my source - a docked zune (for now). It doesn't exhibit the same difference when plugged in through the audio output directly on the zune. The problem switched sides when I switched the cable connectors on the hd600s.

I guess I May have to wait until I get another source like a DAC before I will know for sure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back