HD600 grills on the HD580 revisted
Aug 20, 2004 at 3:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

Rob80b

Headphoneus Supremus
Thought I would put forward my impressions after swapping out the plastic grills on the HD580’s for the HD600 metal grills.

First I should mention I was/am an AKG user, K501’s-DF240S. I was content on the K501 sound but curiosity got the better of me and so a picked up a new pair of HD580’s a few months back. I was immediately taken by it’s richer and fuller sound and increased bass over the K501’s. Trying to do a constructive comparison over the two phones was interesting, although I really liked the fuller sound of my newly acquired HD580’s I constantly found my extended listening at night was with the AKG’s.

A few weeks ago I ordered the HD600 metal grills, more for cosmetic reasons than for an increase in sound quality, as from the posts there appeared to be little or no advantage in changing the grills or for that matter no grills at all.

From then on I would find myself listening unintendedly more with the HD580 with the HD600 grills, previously I found the 580’s a bit heavy but obviously with the new grills something has changed. the sound opened up and became more balanced, but this was over extended listening periods.
So my basic conclusions are that the change in grills have changed the overall sound to the better but in a way that is not immediately obvious.
The K501’s have take on second fiddle once more.

Aug 20, 2004 at 5:40 AM Post #2 of 24
For how long did you listen to the 580s before installing the 600 grill? It might just be that your 580s have been burning in.

Aug 20, 2004 at 7:43 AM Post #3 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zoide
For how long did you listen to the 580s before installing the 600 grill? It might just be that your 580s have been burning in.

my thoughts exactly. Senn phones are not to be commented on until they are past the 300 hour mark. Why? because their tonal char changes so much in the first 300 hours...the most dramatic change is in the HD-650 which sounds like an entirely different headphone after 300 hours...
eek.gif

Aug 20, 2004 at 1:57 PM Post #9 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by gsferrari
Anything will be better than that horrible death grey honeycomb polycrap plastic affair!!
eek.gif

At least you don't have to worry about them getting dented in.
tongue.gif

Aug 20, 2004 at 2:43 PM Post #11 of 24
Hah, you got me opened up my 580 cover. Tried listening with no cover for a short period, worried something sneaked inside and closed it again. Can't say I hear any difference though but now I'm interested with that metal grille, must've added that expensive look. =)

Quote:

to those who are getting em, why not get 1 or 2 pairs of extra? so i can get a pair from you...

to save shipping to this area of planet, could you add one more pair please ?
biggrin.gif

Aug 20, 2004 at 4:55 PM Post #12 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by GlowWorm
At least you don't have to worry about them getting dented in.
tongue.gif

My thoughts exactly!

Quote:

Originally Posted by ixeo
me thinks denting is better than cracking
eek.gif

Cracking!? Gee, I've worn the Philips HP 800 for almost two years for them to begin cracking. How long will it take for my HD 580s grilles to crack? Ten years? I still think I'd have to drop them real badly from like, a height of maybe two meters for those grilles to crack. Did anyone have a grille cracking problem with their HD 580s?

Cheers,
Alex
580smile.gif

Aug 20, 2004 at 10:32 PM Post #14 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zoide

Uh oh, don't give Mike fuel for the fire; grill burn-in!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back