HD600 + Extended Bass + Larger Soundstage = ?
Mar 15, 2014 at 10:25 AM Post #61 of 73
Thank you, I lurk often on these style of threads and always am amazed at the lack of reference to up stream equipment.
As I found the Sony R10, HD600, HD650 and HD800 all had world class scale ability.

Up stream stuff can change signatures so much, not discounting the inert character of the cans in question.

Just ordered my first pair of HD 600s yesterday.:)

Especially with tube amps. Congrats on your 600s!

Mar 15, 2014 at 3:19 PM Post #62 of 73
Especially with tube amps. Congrats on your 600s!

HA, Thank-you. I will see em in a while!
smily_headphones1.gif

They go good with the Woo 3.

Mar 15, 2014 at 8:24 PM Post #63 of 73
  I read Tyll's review of the X1 - a big bottom and an airy top does not make a HD600 type headphone. It makes a headphone tuned for modern tastes, a headphone that pleases in the short term but disappoints after you lived a while with it. Even the aforementioned MA900 is more of a modern HD650 challenger if anything ...

As far as I know the HD600 is the only open headphone of it's type.

Just take the HD600, add angled drivers for better soundstage, make the headphone more open, increase the resolution a bit, make the bass extension better while maintaining low bass distortion (no need to exaggerate or try for ultra low bass extension at all in an open headphone, you'll need a huge LCD2 type driver for that and you'll lose high frequency refinement), cure the slight peak at 3kHz and maintain the treble extension in the top octave (I've seen many headphones that lack treble extension - HD650 is one of them). Do all that and you can charge 1000$ without a problem.

The HD800 is SO close to this ideal .... it has a big but not enormous driver so bass quality is good, it sounds open, it has good resolution - just continue the slightly descending frequency curve after 5kHz without much wiggling and it's as perfect as I imagine it's possible.

I would have gladly paid 1500$ for such a headphone. Instead, the HD800 is now 1500$. Don't you love progress. :)

There is also the Shure SRH 1840. It's more neutral as it doesn't have the mid bass hump and the mids are flatter also. 

Mar 15, 2014 at 8:27 PM Post #64 of 73
If you got alot of money to spend, consider the AKG K812. 

For a cheaper alternative, the AKG K712 is nice. However this headphone isn't very neutral with the big bass it has. 

Oct 23, 2014 at 7:18 PM Post #68 of 73
Thread resurrection :)

I'm also looking around for a step up from my HD600.  I've had an HD800 and I'm not convinced that's it. Any further thoughts?  Perhaps the HE-560 fits the bill?

560s are awesome and should be a great upgrade!

Oct 24, 2014 at 5:48 AM Post #70 of 73
Tyll @ Innnerfidelity said that the new Philips X2 is some kind of HD600 competitor. I'm skeptical ... but I'll try to listen to it. :)

Oct 24, 2014 at 7:32 AM Post #71 of 73
Thanks Byrnie. Would be interested to hear your thoughts on how the HE-560 is a progression of the HD600 sound...? :)

The highs are smoother and the bass goes much lower.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back