HD600 absolutely beats HD650 in my system
May 31, 2008 at 12:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 44

pbirkett

Headphoneus Supremus
I cant quite believe what I am hearing, after I took a gamble on the HD600 here.

You guys probably know I sold my HD650 to get the Proline 2500 after I craved some more excitement from my music. Even despite that I yearned for something that just delivered the music, the Prolines are more exciting than the 650 for sure, but still I wanted more. I decided to pick up the HD600 as there were certain aspects of the HD650s performances I missed, and I already owned the 650 three times now.

I've been listening for a bit and you know what, I've cracked it, I really have.

I'm still in shock to be honest. What a lively, engaging performance I am hearing from the HD600, the 650 never sounded anything like this. If anything the 600 is almost a little on the bright side (which I like). It sounds much punchier, much faster, more detailed, more dynamic and just more exciting than the 650 ever did. Its not even a subtle difference, this is just unbelievable.

I expected them to be a compliment to the Ultrasones, but after switching between them, I think the 600s are outgunning them too.

Whats going on here? How can something so fundamentally similar end up sounding so different on the same system? I'm not complaining like! Seriously though are the 600s easier to drive?

One thing I've noticed is that the 600s definitely arent as smooth and refined though, they sound much grittier, but I dont mind that, its an acceptable trade off for the excitement I'm hearing.

May 31, 2008 at 12:31 PM Post #2 of 44
So you wont be going back to the ole DT531's after all? Glad you found you (hopefully not temporary) 'holy grail'
biggrin.gif

May 31, 2008 at 12:32 PM Post #3 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by pbirkett /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I cant quite believe what I am hearing, after I took a gamble on the HD600 here.

Yeah, I wouldn't believe it yet. Didn't you just get these since sometime yesterday
wink.gif
?

May 31, 2008 at 12:34 PM Post #5 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaska /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah, I wouldn't believe it yet. Didn't you just get these since sometime yesterday
wink.gif
?

LOL yes I havent had them long... but the thing is, I'm really not imagining it. In fact, I was mentally prepared for huge disappointment when I put them on, but in actual fact I'm surprised, VERY surprised.

May 31, 2008 at 12:38 PM Post #7 of 44
This is interesting, because I commented in your other thread that I've not found anything yet to replace my DT440/431, and I've got a set of HD600s which are in the post (and may be here today, not checked the parcel box at work).

I'll be driving them through my iBasso D2 which from the look of the tracking information to hand won't be here until Monday
frown.gif

May 31, 2008 at 12:42 PM Post #8 of 44
The Sennheiser website clearly states that the HD650 needs an amplifier with a high output voltage for best results. If you use it on an amp that gives out less than 4Vrms the drop in performance is very obvious.

The same thing goes for the K701. But these need an extra 6dB of bass to be dialled in before they start performing on the bass end.

May 31, 2008 at 12:47 PM Post #9 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zorander /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm curious. You seem to have (re-)visited the Senns a few times previously but is this actually your first time hearing the HD-600 (or even HD-580)?

This is the first time I've ever heard the HD600.

I've owned the HD650 three times, and powered it with a variety of amps (X-Can v2, X-Can v3, Rega Ear, ANT Amber)... it always sounded too laid back for me.

I loaned a pair of HD580 from a friend for a few weeks a few years back, at the time i seem to recall I was in the process of selling a pair of Beyer DT990. I actually remember hoping that he would sell them to me, but he decided to keep them and I went for the DT531 instead. That time I powered them out of a Corda HA-1. I thought the HD580 were WAY better than the DT990 I had at the time.

May 31, 2008 at 1:08 PM Post #10 of 44
I kept one your old Headphone threads.
This is what you wrote about the 580's sound:

"The sound is usual typical Sennheiser, strong bass, which is quite punchy. Midrange is present, but not aggressive, and trebles have the perception of being rolled off. I've always felt there was an odd "hole" in the sound with Sennheisers, and this one is no exception - and a frequency response chart reveals that there is a severe dip in the upper mid / lower treble region - maybe this was intentional to make it sound less harsh - it works - but it can sound boring and / or muffled depending on the person, equipment and music."

I wonder, how comes your perception of the 600 is totally different? It's almost the same headphone.
Maybe your current gear makes the difference?

May 31, 2008 at 1:26 PM Post #11 of 44
Quote:

The Sennheiser website clearly states that the HD650 needs an amplifier with a high output voltage for best results. If you use it on an amp that gives out less than 4Vrms the drop in performance is very obvious.

How much do you think HD 600 need?
I mean, they're only marginally different in terms of amplifying.

May 31, 2008 at 1:31 PM Post #12 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tiemen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I kept one your old Headphone threads.
This is what you wrote about the 580's sound:

"The sound is usual typical Sennheiser, strong bass, which is quite punchy. Midrange is present, but not aggressive, and trebles have the perception of being rolled off. I've always felt there was an odd "hole" in the sound with Sennheisers, and this one is no exception - and a frequency response chart reveals that there is a severe dip in the upper mid / lower treble region - maybe this was intentional to make it sound less harsh - it works - but it can sound boring and / or muffled depending on the person, equipment and music."

I wonder, how comes your perception of the 600 is totally different? It's almost the same headphone.
Maybe your current gear makes the difference?

The gear I use now is totally different.

Going off memory (I may be wrong as it was a while ago), I was using a Corda HA-1 (briefly, as I sold it) and then a Rotel RA-01 integrated amp (headphone output), and I think a Terratec EWX2496 soundcard or it may have been a Cambridge Audio DAC3.

Now I am using a Squeezebox 3, Beresford TC-7510 Mk6/3 DAC, ANT Amber headphone amp. I'd personally say that the system I am using now is considerably more capable than the one I am using now, which undoubtedly makes them play on a higher level than before.

May 31, 2008 at 2:47 PM Post #13 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by pbirkett /img/forum/go_quote.gif
One thing I've noticed is that the 600s definitely arent as smooth and refined though, they sound much grittier, but I dont mind that, its an acceptable trade off for the excitement I'm hearing.

I will agree with you if by "refined" you mean like white sugar and white flour, with all the goodness removed. Details sandblasted away. The 600s just give you a better more accurate picture of what you are feeding it without softening it.

That "grit" is actually adding to your excitement, it is not a trade off.

May 31, 2008 at 2:56 PM Post #14 of 44
At least now you look like you found a set of phones you enjoy, as opposed to your other thread
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back