HD595 terrible headphones
Feb 6, 2011 at 1:10 AM Post #17 of 42
I use Ibuds regularly for the comfort before I sleep.  What you may not be used to is that the Ibuds have a boosted upper mid-range and lower treble to make vocals easy to discern. They are meant to cellphone headsets so it would make sense that the vocals would be boosted on Ibuds.

I've never heard the HD595, so I have no comments there.

Feb 6, 2011 at 1:31 AM Post #18 of 42
I SMELL A TROLL!!!

My HD595's took sometime to get opened up and paired with a decent dac+amp, they are AWESOME! Not everyones cup of tea though, they lack the bottom end for modern pop music and vocals can be a little 'veiled' in my opinion.

Feb 6, 2011 at 2:00 AM Post #19 of 42
yeah at this point, listen to em' for another week and if you still don't like em' just sell em on here.

Feb 6, 2011 at 4:17 AM Post #20 of 42
The HD595 actually need a good bit of power not to sound like crap. I tried them strait from my friends linux box and they did sound worse than anything I had ever tried. After buying the E7 I tried them again this time time ZuneHD->Fiio E7->HD595 and they were actually were enjoyable though I'm still not a fan of the sound sig they have. So see if you can try them though an amp or good stereo receiver before you are too judgemental. 

Quote:
I recently bought the HD595 and after burning them in for several hundred hours I have to say that they are crap. They sound great for music with no vocals. They sound great for gaming and movies.

BUT when I listen to them for normal music it sounds like the instruments are absolutely overpowering the vocals.

When I listen to my ipod headphones I can hear the vocals really clearly like the musician is singing right to me and the instruments are in the background. Is this how all high end headphones are? Does anyone else have this experience. Struggling to hear what the singer is singing absolutley ruins most of my music for me and gives me a monster headache.

Any suggestions for other headphones?

Feb 6, 2011 at 11:25 AM Post #21 of 42
I don't know if you need amp or not with these.  My point was we weren't given total information about what was feeding the headphones.  It's only in post #5 that we learn the equipment being used.

Do these need break-in like the bigger 600 or 650 does??  Maybe thats part of the problem too

Feb 6, 2011 at 1:01 PM Post #23 of 42

Quote:
My troll senses are tickling..

I guess there are a lot of people here desperate to raise their post counts...
If you don't have anything useful to say please refrain from posting. 

I know when I bought the senns people went on about a "veiled" type sound. Is this what they mean in terms of the vocals sounding recessed? I feel like when I listen to my ibuds there are two parts to the music - the instruments and the vocals. For the senns it seems all sloshed together with some emphasis on the instruments.

Feb 6, 2011 at 3:44 PM Post #24 of 42
The Sennheiser are both technically and physically superior to iBuds. Check your ears?

Quote:
I guess there are a lot of people here desperate to raise their post counts...
If you don't have anything useful to say please refrain from posting. 

I know when I bought the senns people went on about a "veiled" type sound. Is this what they mean in terms of the vocals sounding recessed? I feel like when I listen to my ibuds there are two parts to the music - the instruments and the vocals. For the senns it seems all sloshed together with some emphasis on the instruments.

Feb 6, 2011 at 4:48 PM Post #28 of 42
Well, I am a Sennheiser fanboy :) . I love them. I loved my HD555 for as long as they lasted and loved like a mad man the HD650 (and I had this one powered only by my portable amp/dac, the lyrix) and now I am loving the hd595. 

They're not remotely close to the hd650, but it's a very similar sound signature... I find it odd that you dont hear a difference between low bitrate mp3s and high bitrate mp3s. It makes me think you might have bought  a fake (are there reports of fakes hd595?) or a defective unit. 

The hd595 is making me seriously consider (not consider, i actually have already DECIDED) reriping my whole collection to FLAC, because even my mother and sister can notice a big difference between FLAC and 320kbps MP3s. 

The vocals are not recessed either. I have been listening to a lot of Michael Buble's albums and they all sound great. For some reason, the compression seems to be a big factor on recessing the male vocals, because that is the first thing that is apparent when I'm listening/comparing  to 320kbps and lossless: FLAC makes the vocals sound in your face, as if the singer was right in front of you, and with mp3s the band and singers are a little harder to locate (worse imaging and definitely the infamous "sennheiser veil").

If you got them from a good dealer (amazon.com :) im also their fan!) you should call them and tell them you are fairly sure you got a defective unit and they should be able to replace it. I have heard bad reviews about the hd595 but none like this. Go to cnet or amazon.com and check it out. Even the 1/5 reviews are not coming close to what you have described. 

Have them replaced. They are great cans. Even if sennheiser is not your kind ofsound you should be able to appreciate them in their right dimension. Regardless of "tastes". 

Good luck. 

Feb 6, 2011 at 5:14 PM Post #29 of 42
This definitely does not sound right. I've never had problems with vocals on my pair of 595s. Sure, they're absolutely no match for the ATH-AD2000 in this regard- but even switching from them to the 595s I would never say that the 595s are bad with vocals.

That being said I only use the 595s for movies, games and classical music these days. The HD-595 trounces the ATH-AD2000 in nearly every way when it comes to classical.

Feb 6, 2011 at 6:43 PM Post #30 of 42
to bluestreek: Don't worry, you are not a troll. You just don't like them. I feel a bit like an idiot, but I don't like AKG K242HD and K701(!) a bit. When you can't hear headphones before buy, it may end up this way. But comparing them to ibuds is a bit off.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back