HD595 > HD580 w/ LD MKIII
Jan 20, 2008 at 8:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

RogerB

100+ Head-Fier
I just got a Little Dot MKIII amp for Christmas. I'm using HD595's with it but have been planning to upgrade to the HD600 soon. (All the research here indicates to me that the hd600 is more to my liking than the hd650's)

I can get new 580's for $170 or so and have read they are identical to the 600's because they use the same drivers. The 580's, of course, have been discontinued, and this may be the last opportunity to get them new.

Has anybody used the 580's with a tube amp, and particularly the LD MKIII???

Is the 580's at about half the price of the 600's the way to go?

Any comments would be appreciated because I am torn on what to do.

Jan 20, 2008 at 9:41 PM Post #2 of 6
Your thread title makes it sound like you've tried both and found the 595 better than the 580 with that amp, which would be very surprising.

HD580 are only equivalent to the 600 if you change the grills and do a couple of other mods, or if it's a 580 jubilee. But otherwise, yes, the 580 would probably be a good choice for the situation you describe.

Jan 20, 2008 at 9:57 PM Post #3 of 6
Thanks for your response, and yes, I realize now my thread title is rediculous for the info I was seeking. Pass me the dunce hat please!

Jan 20, 2008 at 10:32 PM Post #4 of 6
The dfferences between the HD600s and HD580s That I know of:

1. 580s use plastic where the 600s use Carbon fiber. The carbon fiber is said to reduce resonance.
2. The 600 drivers are matched more closely then the 580s.
3. The 600s have open metal mesh grills - the 580s plastic. Many 580 owners get the 600 grills and put them on the 580s.

To the best of my knowedge those are the only differences. The relative quality between the two is hotly debated.

When I was shopping for headphones it was suggested that I keep an eye out for used 600s for around $200. That might be an option for you.

I ended up getting HD580s for $169 and have absolutely no regrets. They are fantastic headphones for the price. For me and my preferences I doubt I could do much better at many times the price.

Both of these phones should do well with tube amps. Check out the HD580 appreciation thread. What amps work well with the 580s is discussed there and the little dots are a favorite if I recollect correctly.

Jan 20, 2008 at 11:03 PM Post #5 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dobro /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The dfferences between the HD600s and HD580s That I know of:

1. 580s use plastic where the 600s use Carbon fiber. The carbon fiber is said to reduce resonance.
2. The 600 drivers are matched more closely then the 580s.
3. The 600s have open metal mesh grills - the 580s plastic. Many 580 owners get the 600 grills and put them on the 580s.

To the best of my knowedge those are the only differences. The relative quality between the two is hotly debated.

When I was shopping for headphones it was suggested that I keep an eye out for used 600s for around $200. That might be an option for you.

I ended up getting HD580s for $169 and have absolutely no regrets. They are fantastic headphones for the price. For me and my preferences I doubt I could do much better at many times the price.

Both of these phones should do well with tube amps. Check out the HD580 appreciation thread. What amps work well with the 580s is discussed there and the little dots are a favorite if I recollect correctly.

Thanks for the response Dobro. I think, like you, I may just get the 580's and be done with it. For the price they are not a huge investment and since they are being discontinued if I should decide later to upgrade I won't lose much money on them.

This site is filled with tons of incredible information but many times it can be conflicting information (as matters of opinion usually are) and leave one confused and unsure which direction to take. You have made me feel better about my decision!

Thanks again Dobro for your post!

Jan 20, 2008 at 11:59 PM Post #6 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by RogerB /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the response Dobro. I think, like you, I may just get the 580's and be done with it. For the price they are not a huge investment and since they are being discontinued if I should decide later to upgrade I won't lose much money on them.

This site is filled with tons of incredible information but many times it can be conflicting information (as matters of opinion usually are) and leave one confused and unsure which direction to take. You have made me feel better about my decision!

Thanks again Dobro for your post!

No problem!
smily_headphones1.gif
I hope you are as happy with them as I am. One thing to keep in mind is that many people say they need about 100 hours burn in to reach their full potential. Mine sounded great out of the box.

Off topic, but I see you have a Go-Vibe amp, could you tell me the polarity of the DC jack, is it positive center or negative center? I've got a Go-vibe 6 and want to get a power adapter for it.

Anyway, good luck with your new phones!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back