HD595 alternative
Apr 9, 2008 at 9:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

indysmith

100+ Head-Fier
I've borrowed my friend's HD595.
I sort of like it. It's a nice comfy phone (first circumaural i've tried), with very deep bass, and a pretty neutral response. Also there is a soundstage! Best thing about this headphone IMO (I'm used to Grados).
What i don't like about it is how the pads press hard against your head. I know i said it was comfy, and it is easy to wear, until i move my jaw and it hurts.
I also don't like the grainy mids, and i don't like the relative lack of detail.

What am I looking for? I don't want more grados (I don't think). I want something good for more ambient styles of rock, and classical music in particular. I feel like maybe the 600s might be for me - are the 650s a large upgrade? I'm also willing to consider AKGs, AudioTechnicas, beyers... but I know nothing about them. they'll be being run straight out of an apogee duet.

Grados for hard rock/punk and most electro (i like it precise and in front of me).
??? for ambient rock, classical music, acoustic music.

Apr 9, 2008 at 10:11 PM Post #2 of 2
I am in a similar situation. I want a single pair of great headphones and am considering selling my HD595's to score a pair of HD650's. Maybe I will be able to demo the 650's (and other great cans) at CanJam '08 and finally make up my mind. Unfortunately, I understand that amplification beyond my current components will be needed to drive the 650's. Oh well, now I have something to buy with the free money Geo. W. Bush will be sending me this year. Dumb ass!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back