HD555
Feb 18, 2011 at 10:35 AM Post #16 of 23
The best one could do to a HD555 is to remove 2 pieces of foams and make it a HD595:  http://mikebeauchamp.com/misc/sennheiser-hd-555-to-hd-595-mod/

Jan 30, 2012 at 12:36 PM Post #17 of 23

Please excuse me if I resurrect this old 3D
I am going to buy a HD555 (50 ohm version)
L3000.gif

They should use the same driver of the HD595 (a very low distortion driver indeed)
eek.gif

Any new impression on them maybe after trying them with different amps ?
Out of curiosity I would like to hear from people using them currently with which amps they drive them with the best outcome
rolleyes.gif

Thank you very much indeed
Kind regards,
biggrin.gif

gino

Jan 30, 2012 at 12:48 PM Post #18 of 23
Trust me, the HD555 don't need an amp. They do improve a little though, most noticeably in the sound stage for me. A small amp will help bring out that extra little bit of performance, but these phones are perfectly content unamped. By the way, I amp my HD595 with a Fiio E10 and that is enough for this improvement. Cheaper amps would probably be fine too.

Jan 30, 2012 at 1:01 PM Post #19 of 23

Quote:
Trust me, the HD555 don't need an amp. They do improve a little though, most noticeably in the sound stage for me. A small amp will help bring out that extra little bit of performance, but these phones are perfectly content unamped. By the way, I amp my HD595 with a Fiio E10 and that is enough for this improvement. Cheaper amps would probably be fine too.

Thank you very much for your reply
But I understand that you have the 595 ... I am going to buy the less expensive 555
Anyway assuming a similar performance, how does the 595 sound on voices (i.e. choirs, solo singers, ecc.)
For me the quality of the midrange is very important ...   I will use them to listen to plays on dvd (only dialogues)
Bye

gino

Jan 30, 2012 at 1:21 PM Post #20 of 23
Well, I would say that the mids, especially upper mids are the most prominent part of the HD555/595. This area takes center stage, so they should sound very nice with vocals and dialogue, especially female voices. (I find the HD650s to be the champs for lower voices.)

Also, HD555 has the same driver as the HD595, perhaps just a little less carefully selected. They are very similar, especially after you do the de-foaming mod.

Jan 30, 2012 at 1:41 PM Post #21 of 23

Thank you very much again.
Your words are more than enough for me.  With my budget I cannot demand high end performance
I feel that the 555 will be more than adequate for me
Thank you very much indeed

Kind regards,

gino

Jan 30, 2012 at 3:43 PM Post #22 of 23
I've had the HD555s for about a year and half now and I also own the Nuforce HDP.  Aside from soundstage and separation, the headphone out of my macbook is really close to the quality through the HDP,  I've even driven them with an old 1st gen iPod shuffle.  You should have no problems through either the sansa or a computer.

Jan 31, 2012 at 12:27 PM Post #23 of 23
I've had the HD555 for over 2 years. They do improve with amplification: mainly soundstage and bass will improve. An amp is not a must with this can but to my ears the improvement is quite obvious. Next to my bigger amp which brings out the soundstage and bass I also have the portable fiio e5 amp which doesn't do anything to the sound IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back