HD555 vs HD580
Jun 17, 2004 at 9:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Mojo027

New Head-Fier
Currently I have the logitech z5300 speakers. Sometimes I use my HD477 through the headphone jack on my speakers. I'm half thinking about buying new headphones in the future. I was looking at the HD555's and the HD580's. I won't be investing in an amp. Because they are too expensive for my needs. If there's an easy and cheap way to make one I might think about it.

In short, what is better:
-HD555's unamped or HD580's unamped?
-Is there a way to make a cheap amp?
-Should I even bother, are my HD477's good enough?

Jun 17, 2004 at 9:42 PM Post #2 of 13
555s should be easier to drive without an amp, and are said to have a less laid-back sound signature than the 580s. Both should be a marked improvement over the 477s.

Jun 18, 2004 at 12:51 AM Post #4 of 13
Not at all, I will buy any of the products off this site.
www.jandr.net

I want to buy from this retailer because they seem to have reasonible prices and ship to Canada. If anyone knows a better reliable retailer that ships to Canada, I'd love to hear about them.

I really don't want to pay more than $150 USD, as that is already over $200 Canadian.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 22, 2004 at 10:17 PM Post #6 of 13
I'm also trying to decide between the HD580 and the HD555. But I will be buying an amp. Probably the Headsave Classic. I was going to go with the HD595, but nobody has it in stock and I don't feel like waiting 3 more months to get new headphones. I also don't have any great source equpiment (mostly use my computer, chaintech av-710 sound card), so I figure I'd be wasting money on premium headphones.

I currently own Grado SR-60 and Sennheiser HD497. I like the sound of both (considering the price anyway), but the 497s get so uncomfortable I can't stand wearing them for more than an hour without a break. Half the reason I want to get new headphones is just so they'll be more comfortable. I'll definitely be happy to get a listening quality upgrade too.

I mostly listen to rock, but I don't really want headphones geared towards rock. I want something that will be good all-around. So, which of those two, or maybe something completely different?

Jul 22, 2004 at 11:18 PM Post #7 of 13
Imho, HD580s are awful for everything except maybe some classical... have you considered the Beyer DT440 also? If they're anything like the DT531 (which they're supposed to be) they're one of the best all-rounders out there.

Jul 22, 2004 at 11:25 PM Post #8 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Taurui
Imho, HD580s are awful for everything except maybe some classical...

What makes you say that? They are just a different flavor, which may not appeal to everyone, especially if not well amped/sourced. From what I've heard the 555 is a bit more upfront, which make slower sources and amps sound better than with the 580.

Jul 22, 2004 at 11:34 PM Post #9 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by zig
I was going to go with the HD595, but nobody has it in stock and I don't feel like waiting 3 more months to get new headphones.

Todd may still have a returned on in stock for $199. You could get it right away if you still want one.
I haven't heard the 555, but I own the 595 and have owned the 580. Tough call as to which one to go with. They're so different.
I agree with Iron Dreamer that the 580s are for more than classical. It may depend on your listening taste.
If you're used to grados and 497 I'd think you may want to go with the 555.

Jul 23, 2004 at 12:21 AM Post #12 of 13
Thanks for the help guys.
Unfortunately Todd doesn't have any 595s left. He said he ran out about a week ago.
And I just noticed Headroom has a special with the 555+bithead for 260 dollars. Maybe I'll go with that. I'm a sucker for sales.

Jul 23, 2004 at 12:34 AM Post #13 of 13
Quote:

If you're used to grados and 497 I'd think you may want to go with the 555.

Nope. The 555s sound nothing like the 497s (or grados I'd imagine). There is no bass hump...so the bass sounds lacking at times.
The highs are more rolled off as well...still on the polite senn side. And another thing, the soundstage is also huge compared to the 497s.

I'd actually consider the audio techna a900s, they sound like better all around phones from what I hear.
evil_smiley.gif

Edit:whoops I don't want to be misleading about the highs...the truth is it's really not so bad as I was saying. It's not as "raw" as it could be, but I'm sure it's far better than the 580s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back