HD555 Now $75 Free Shipping
Sep 30, 2010 at 12:27 AM Post #197 of 241
I don't know what to tell ya man.  I think perhaps if you could get your source more flat on the treble and bass setting or use a different source w/ a flat EQ you might solve most of your issues.  The sibilance on the recording is present in pretty much equal amounts on both the 555 and M50.  Neither phone renders the song fatiguing or unlistenable.  This is one of my sibilance check tracks so I know it well.  A sibilant phone will make me want to stop listening almost immediately.  I did notice the 555 put Glenn Fry on top of my head where the M50 had him in front of me.

Sep 30, 2010 at 1:49 AM Post #199 of 241

Quote:
I don't know what to tell ya man.  I think perhaps if you could get your source more flat on the treble and bass setting or use a different source w/ a flat EQ you might solve most of your issues.  The sibilance on the recording is present in pretty much equal amounts on both the 555 and M50.  Neither phone renders the song fatiguing or unlistenable.  This is one of my sibilance check tracks so I know it well.  A sibilant phone will make me want to stop listening almost immediately.  I did notice the 555 put Glenn Fry on top of my head where the M50 had him in front of me.

Interesting. Lowering the bass improved the overall balance. I put the treble to the same setting as bass but the hiss is still there.

Despite what I put the settings to, it no longer sounds like I'm listening to music being played from another end of a tunnel so I'm very happy about that.

Oct 1, 2010 at 12:52 AM Post #200 of 241
Finally went and picked mine up this morning. Plugged them into my S:Flo2 and realized really quickly that they need an amp. I guess they sound OK. They don't extend nearly as high or as low as my Ultrasones, nor are the mids as clear. But for $75 you can't really complain. I think with a good amp they're a bit better than the AD700s. I'm going to give them the weekend before I open them up and do the 595 mod. I can't really see myself using these for music, but the new Call of Duty is coming out soon so they'll definitely get a lot of use.

Oct 1, 2010 at 1:51 AM Post #201 of 241

Quote:
Finally went and picked mine up this morning. Plugged them into my S:Flo2 and realized really quickly that they need an amp. I guess they sound OK. They don't extend nearly as high or as low as my Ultrasones, nor are the mids as clear. But for $75 you can't really complain. I think with a good amp they're a bit better than the AD700s. I'm going to give them the weekend before I open them up and do the 595 mod. I can't really see myself using these for music, but the new Call of Duty is coming out soon so they'll definitely get a lot of use.

Yeah, I think these are DIY boom mic gaming phones.  The comfort should help w/ extended gaming and the 595 mod should help w/ space.  Though the loss of bass impact might be a problem for gaming conversely.  

Oct 1, 2010 at 2:00 AM Post #202 of 241
Yeah, I have a boom mic on the way and my xbox mic controller adapter came in today. I'm hoping the mods will help with the soundstage. I know it makes the sound stage seem bigger, but I'm a bit worried that placement and definition might not be as good as what I'm used to. The main problem I found when using the AD700s for gaming was that although the sound stage was big, it lacked the definition and placement of higher end cans.

Oct 1, 2010 at 1:28 PM Post #203 of 241
Quote:

Doesn't the S:Flo2 have a decent amp built in, more or less? Many people say they drive many headphones very well...

Oct 1, 2010 at 1:49 PM Post #204 of 241

Quote:
Quote:

Doesn't the S:Flo2 have a decent amp built in, more or less? Many people say they drive many headphones very well...

The Sflo2 does have very good power.  I did notice the 555 needs a good bit more juice from my Arrow than my other phones.  Sadly, even after matching gains they take a back seat to my M50s and 580s in many ways.  They didn't sound as bad out of the box as I was expecting, but after ABing last night, they are not on the same tier as my other phones IMO.  There are some definite issues/quirks w/ the 555s.  As tdock said in another thread, they are boring.  They are lacking in bass even from a neutral perspective, details lack clear definition.  Every detail has a sort of edge enhancement like you would find on a HDTVs that makes the edges fuzzy.  Some called it ambient sounding, now I see why.  The soundstage is on top of my head?  I was looking at the 555 graphs versus the 595 last night and not sure if modding them is worth the trouble.  I might do it just to know.  I am the point of considering selling or converting to a gaming phone w/ a mic but I think my 580s would work better w/ a stand alone mic.  Sound wise I think I would prefer the DT440 to these so far.  

Oct 1, 2010 at 2:40 PM Post #205 of 241

Quote:
Quote:

The internal amp has good SQ, but still does not have the juice of a dedicated amp and cannot drive most full size headphones to their full potential. 

I'm keeping the 555s more for a project. I think it'll be fun installing a mic and it'll give me a reason to recable something. I still think they're better than the AD700s and probably the best gaming choice under $100.

Oct 1, 2010 at 5:45 PM Post #206 of 241
Quote:
The internal amp has good SQ, but still does not have the juice of a dedicated amp and cannot drive most full size headphones to their full potential. 

I'm keeping the 555s more for a project. I think it'll be fun installing a mic and it'll give me a reason to recable something. I still think they're better than the AD700s and probably the best gaming choice under $100.

Compared to my Xonar DX, how much "juice" would the S:Flo 2 have? I was under the impression it would have around the same or more. As I keep saying, the HD555s sound extremely good out of my Xonar DX, and I was hoping I could get a portable player to match that quality!

Oct 1, 2010 at 6:49 PM Post #207 of 241
I haven't heard the the xonar, nor have I read much about it so I wouldn't be able to say. If you want to get an S:Flo2, then you could always pair it with a pair of Sennheiser IE6s which IMO have very comparable SQ to the 555s and don't need an amp. You can get refurbs for around $55.

Oct 1, 2010 at 7:36 PM Post #208 of 241

Quote:
Quote:

Compared to my Xonar DX, how much "juice" would the S:Flo 2 have? I was under the impression it would have around the same or more. As I keep saying, the HD555s sound extremely good out of my Xonar DX, and I was hoping I could get a portable player to match that quality!

Can't speak to the Xonar but from my Sflo2 LO-->Arrow 2G the 555 deosn't really do anything that isn't either met or surpassed in my current phones to me.  I have no problem saying the 555 is fine at the deal price for people that don't have a decent headphone already though.

Oct 1, 2010 at 7:42 PM Post #209 of 241
i beg to differ.  the ad700 has way more detail and soundstage the hd555 will ever have.  although the hd555 does good with everything and has more bass, thats the only thing it has, is more bass.  dont want to start a fight or anything im just telling you how it is.  thanks
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

Oct 1, 2010 at 8:39 PM Post #210 of 241
^You haven't heard the 555s out of a good amp. They're still not great headphones by any means, but the AD700s are not more detailed. The biggest flaw with the AD700s for gaming is that although the soundstage is big, it is very undefined. Footsteps 20 ft away sound the same as footsteps 5 or 10 ft away.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back