HD555 Now $75 Free Shipping
Sep 28, 2010 at 11:10 PM Post #166 of 241
Hi this is OP. i tried very hard not to jump on this deal. seeing many of you are really enjoying this phone, makes me wonder if HD555 after 595mod really is that good, better than ATH-A700 good?

Sep 28, 2010 at 11:54 PM Post #168 of 241
I'm beginning to wonder if I got the same HD555s as everyone else. Mine sound absolutely fantastic! Or, maybe they just love my Xonar DX...

Sep 29, 2010 at 7:04 AM Post #170 of 241
I was wondering if the treble will smooth out after doing the felt mod? I wanted to give them a little time in stock form to see if they grow on me. I did let them burn in for about 10 hours with some of the burninwave.com tracks. The bass is starting to open up, the mids are nice, but still a bit congested, and the treble is sibilant in a hissy sort of way (like when someone says SSSSS with a hole in their two front teeth). I was planning to remove the felt inside the earcups anyway. I'm curious if it will have an effect on the treble, or if I'll have to wait for burn-in for that reward? I might have to go back to my SHP895's until I do the mod.

Sep 29, 2010 at 9:40 AM Post #171 of 241
It's funny that you mention the hissing. My 555's don't do that anymore but that's something I'm hearing on the M50's. I was listening to a song that had the lyrics "she sang a short tune..." and it sounded like "sssssshe sssss a sssss tune." lol

Quote:
I was wondering if the treble will smooth out after doing the felt mod? I wanted to give them a little time in stock form to see if they grow on me. I did let them burn in for about 10 hours with some of the burninwave.com tracks. The bass is starting to open up, the mids are nice, but still a bit congested, and the treble is sibilant in a hissy sort of way (like when someone says SSSSS with a hole in their two front teeth). I was planning to remove the felt inside the earcups anyway. I'm curious if it will have an effect on the treble, or if I'll have to wait for burn-in for that reward? I might have to go back to my SHP895's until I do the mod.

Sep 29, 2010 at 12:16 PM Post #172 of 241
At cam94z28, the foam mod should help. Then again, I did the soundstage mod almost immediately after that. Didn't listen to it much with just the foam mod, but it did sound better. I think your best bet will be 100 hours of burn-in. If that doesn't satisfy you, I strongly recommend the soundstage mod. It makes everything sound much more natural, especially the treble.

Sep 29, 2010 at 1:46 PM Post #177 of 241
Man you have some weird M50s or your source synergy is just off w/ those.  Your impressions are pretty much alien to me.

Quote:
It's funny that you mention the hissing. My 555's don't do that anymore but that's something I'm hearing on the M50's. I was listening to a song that had the lyrics "she sang a short tune..." and it sounded like "sssssshe sssss a sssss tune." lol

Sep 29, 2010 at 2:00 PM Post #178 of 241

X2 on this comment. I've never heard such a thing coming from my M50s.
Quote:
Man you have some weird M50s or your source synergy is just off w/ those.  Your impressions are pretty much alien to me.

Sep 29, 2010 at 2:21 PM Post #179 of 241

In his defense I listened to the M50s for about half an hour at Guitar Center in their demo room and I got the same impression when compared to SRH-840s. There was just a little hint of harshness/sibilance in the upper trebles, especially on cymbals and vocal "s"es. Then again, I also heard it on the HD650, and most people seem to disagree with me, so... maybe we just have wonky ears.
Quote:
X2 on this comment. I've never heard such a thing coming from my M50s.

Sep 29, 2010 at 2:37 PM Post #180 of 241
Well, I acknowledge that the upper mids and treble can become a tad strident and sibilant on the M50s with some material but it's never been harsh or piercing enough to overwhelm what's being sung/said in a manner akin to what the poster described. 

At least, not in any of my listening sessions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back