HD414 SL, to mod or not to mod?
Oct 28, 2011 at 10:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Qui audit

Head-Fier
I'm a bit of a new guy round here and my first forage into Head-Fi resulted in me purchasing my HD598s which I love, however I do still have a burning desire to start down the DIY route. I've never really done anything like it so I'm considering learning a few tricks on my Dad's old HD 414 SL. Does anybody know any decent mods, re-cables or general improvements I can make to them fairly simply. I'm not too worried if I mess them up but it would be nice to have them as a portable pair until I get something new (possibly SR80i or HD-25 ii).

Oct 29, 2011 at 5:02 AM Post #2 of 3
I have an old pair of HD-414s. I like them the way they are - they're nice headphones.

If you're interested in DIY, try building a CMoy. That will give you the skills you need to build more amps.

Oct 29, 2011 at 8:49 AM Post #3 of 3
I might have a go first just to make sure my soldering is solid. I don't want to have to spend a lot on one though, how much do you think the parts would cost? Or should I be heading on over to one of the many CMoy threads right now. Aside from improving my DIY ability, I at least want to recable the 414s, I thought it might just be me but everywhere else people agree that the cable is unbelievably microphonic! 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back