HD280 -> DT880?
Sep 19, 2005 at 1:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Xplo

100+ Head-Fier
For a while now I've been toying with the idea of a headphone upgrade.. but, to what headphone? I've been using a Sennheiser HD280 for a while now, and I'm more or less happy with its tone.. but it occasionally produces an irritating gritty noise with certain upper-mids (I don't know if this is resonance or a problem with the drivers), and the soundstage is pretty minimal, although amping helps a little. The isolation is great, although occasionally that has its drawbacks...

As far as I know, there are no superior closed headphones with a tone similar to the 280.. but it seems like the Beyer DT880 might come sorta close, being semi-closed and regarded as either "neutral" or "bass-shy", depending on who you ask (much like the 280 is), but with a much improved soundstage.

Any thoughts? Direct comparisons? Alternative suggestions?

Sep 19, 2005 at 2:12 PM Post #2 of 6
I have a pair of DT880's and although they are semi-closed, they are more open then closed, even my other pair of Sony XD200's provides more isolation than the DT880's.

Hopefully a more knowledgeble head-fier can add more input on HD280 vs DT880 sound as I haven't listened to the HD280 for more than a few minutes.

Sep 19, 2005 at 2:23 PM Post #3 of 6
I had the HD280 and now the DT880 are one of my references.
The Senns are very good for their price imho, but the DT880 are on another planet. More refined, more soundstage, more easy to listen to, imho they are not bass-shy, they are just "correct" and unobtrusive but with a well rounded and deep bass. They are in a word more natural.
I think it's a very good step-up, as the DT880 is one of the best-sounding dynamic headphone I've ever heard (together with the DT990).

But the isolation of the DT880 is more or less the one of an open headphone.

bye
Andrea

Sep 19, 2005 at 2:31 PM Post #4 of 6
I have owned both cans, and both have been my primary headphone for some length of time.

The DT880 is described as semi-closed, and that description is accurate. You can perceive noise from probably 6 feet away from them in a quiet room. The tonal balance is similar to the HD280 Pro, but the sound is much more open, very airy and delicate. Treble reproduction is better all-around, both in extension and quality. Perhaps just a tad less bass impact than the HD280 Pro as well. Overall though, I would say the best description of the difference in sound is that the DT880 is much more open and detailed.

Sep 19, 2005 at 2:40 PM Post #5 of 6
Coming from the 280s to the DT 880s will probably be a nice upgrade under ideal listening conditions. I own both and had the 280s first.

The DT 880s need much more amplifier power, obviously. They are smoother and less analytical than the 280s, although they have a harder punch in the upper bass. Both have outstanding bass extension, with the DT 880s being leaner and less boomy in the lowest frequencies. The DT 880s do have a larger soundstage, although this is something I really don't care much about. I've never really noticed a particular problem with 'an irritating gritty noise with certain upper-mids' with the 280s. Perhaps you're talking about the V6/7506s? I consider the DT 880s open phones, as they leak some sound out, similar to other open phones I've owned (K501, HD 580/600).

Both are good choices depending on uses/tastes. Another phone worth considering (that I've heard) is the K501, although I overall prefer both of the above mentioned depending on application.

Sep 19, 2005 at 4:49 PM Post #6 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by White Fox
I've never really noticed a particular problem with 'an irritating gritty noise with certain upper-mids' with the 280s. Perhaps you're talking about the V6/7506s?

Silly. I know what phones I'm listening to!
280smile.gif

The gritty noise isn't part of my 280's tonal character (as it is with the V6, and I know exactly what you mean concerning those phones, since my mom has a pair and I used to use them quite a lot), it's more a sporadic thing that happens sometimes when upper-mid frequencies get loud enough, and it's very definitely a "noise" as opposed to coloration or bad resolution.

I have no idea what it might be. Unintended resonance (possibly from something loose or broken) is my best guess.

Thanks for the replies so far, it sounds like my research turned up a good choice. I may have to wait until Christmas (or at least next month) to justify the purchase, though.
plainface.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back