HD25 or HD6XX
Jan 23, 2024 at 4:34 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

drummerman1

100+ Head-Fier
In my quest to widen my humble collection of low value phones I am considering the above two. The HD25 because I mentioned this recently in a thread. I listened to them many years ago, thoroughly enjoyed them (!) but didn't get on with the fit. There now is a 'light' version available with the same spec/sound as the HD25, only with a single headband and less accessories.

Now, I don't want headphones that almost sound the same, I have a 58X Jubilee but if the 6XX sounds sufficiently different I'll consider it.

Does anyone here use a (later) HD25 light or HD25?

Jan 23, 2024 at 1:37 PM Post #2 of 5
Sennheiser 58X is a nice music headphone (I own it).
I would say to invest in a headphone with more detail, maybe a planar headphone?

Jan 23, 2024 at 3:23 PM Post #3 of 5
I have a Sundara. Like it too.

Jan 23, 2024 at 3:28 PM Post #4 of 5
Now, I don't want headphones that almost sound the same, I have a 58X Jubilee but if the 6XX sounds sufficiently different I'll consider it.

I have the 58X and the 6XX both here at work, the 6XX is worth having just because its a classic headphone that some people claim is still the greatest headphone ever made, when I got into the hobby it is the headphone by all others were judged (the OG HD650).

I recommend the Audeze LCD-2 with non-leather pads for anyone who wants to start getting into higher end headphones and isn't sure where to start.

Jan 23, 2024 at 3:37 PM Post #5 of 5
In my quest to widen my humble collection of low value phones I am considering the above two. The HD25 because I mentioned this recently in a thread. I listened to them many years ago, thoroughly enjoyed them (!) but didn't get on with the fit. There now is a 'light' version available with the same spec/sound as the HD25, only with a single headband and less accessories.

Does anyone here use a (later) HD25 light or HD25?

There has been a "light version" of the HD25s for decades - I believe it used to be called the 25sp. I had a pair a long time ago, and they were incredibly flimsy and were not worth the discount from regular HD25s.

I have 2 pairs of HD25s and I use them for DJing, monitoring when I have to be silent, and plane trips. Unless you need them for studio monitoring or the passive isolation for portable use, Id probably go a different direction.

I also have 6XXs and have heard the 58Xs. The 6XXs will likely just be a little harder to drive and a bit darker.

If you like drums, and don't need closed headphones, Grado SR-80Xs are relatively inexpensive and are a great value for the price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back