HD25-1: Yummy
Jan 10, 2007 at 9:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

GlendaleViper

Yep, words.
A little backstory is in order, since my desire to attain these headphones was never really verbalised. Back at the Toronto meet in November, somewhere in between trying to get a chance at the Darkvoice amp (which apparently crapped out - I hope this ended up fixed
frown.gif
) and shaking off the drool and sweat the Ultrasone 2200ULE left me with, I stealthily popped on a pair of the inconspicuous cans (Redleader's, I believe) and just kind of drifted away.

I am not a fan of the Sennheiser sound. This runs consistent with the stereotype: I am, afterall, a rabid (if subdued) Grado die-hard. I never really gave the HD25 so much as a second thought. I had basically sworn off closed headphones and wasn't planning on looking back. Ten minutes with Philodox's famous (infamous) Frankenstein AKG K340s and later the Ultrasone ProLine 750s made me reconsider. Here it was that I realised a closed chamber could sound nice without having to resort to big ticket items like Sony's R10 or CD3000.

My biggest gripe with every single closed headphone I've ever heard is a simple, but critical flaw: Sucked out mids and a condensed sound. The K340 and ProLine 750 proved without a doubt that isolation with mids was absolutely possible for a modest price. It was with quiet admiration that I removed the HD25 and went on with the festivities.

Here I am three months later, perusing the FS forums when I discover those little Sennheisers being sold (at a very nice price I might add) by a well respected member of our community. I scooped them up. No - that's not true...

... I sold my beloved Grado SR225s to obtain them!

And here I am, a week later still, happy as a (insert inappropriate similie here). Buying the RS-1 yesterday probably helps this feeling a little bit, but the Senns are no slouches either.

Finally, I have a headphone that sounds good and lets me keep the volume down on the train. I won't lie, compared to the SR225 the HD25 leaves a lot to be desired. The tradeoffs, however, make the little Sennheiser a clear winner if I am to compare based on values beyond pure sound quality.

Given that the HD25 is a very well established headphone and the fact that I haven't spent more than 10 hours headtime with the cans, I won't be reviewing here. I do want to point out some specific pros and cons for prospective buyers, since older phones tend to get less of the spotlight for prospective buyers in its pricepoint/purpose. This will not be comparitive.

Cons:

- Incredibly microphonic cable. Mercifully (and surprisingly), this doesn't pose much of an issue while on the move with them.

- Big heads beware: Clamp force is massive and their supra-aural design accentuates this. Thankfully, some playing around with the split headband design can greatly reduce the pressure and thusly extend listening sessions.

- Mids are sucked out, just a little. The HD25 doesn't completely avoid falling victim to the closed can signature, condensed sound and all, but they perform well for what they are and the deficiency here is tolerable with every genre I've thrown at them thus far except classical.

- Hyper, hyper sensitive. This isn't really a con, per se: Straight out of an ipod's headphone jack, they drive to impressively loud volumes, with hiss only (distractingly) present at the top 20% to maximum. An amp and lineout eliminates this completely. Out of my Marantz integrated however, the HD25 is unlistenable. Hiss overpowers the music even at very loud volumes.

[EDIT] Disclaimer: It is my personal opinion that the HD25 above 80% volume on an average modern (see: hot) recording with an iPod is dangerous, borderlining on insane. My hiss test was done without music playing. Please be careful!

Pros:

- Great extension in the low and high range. These headphones have solid, warm bass with some excellent punch when called for and the treble response, while not hyper extended, is not terribly rolled off to these ears. The overall signature is warm, but fast. They are not extraordinarily detailed, but certainly not smeared or muffled either. Despite my complaint in the mids, the overall tonal balance is nicely musical - you can definitely groove to these babies!

- Isolation. I get better ambient noise attenuation from these headphones than I did with the V-moda Vibe. Granted, those have ported chambers, but for a closed circumaural, the isolation the HD25 provides is absolutely top notch. This is an amazing commuter option.

- This thing is built like a tank. The HD25 looks all but indestructible - but do not fear: Most major parts are user-replaceable and readily available from Sennheiser. The cable is user replaceable too. Bonus!

- Split headband. I must admit, my first thought was that I would simply wear it like it was a single band, but using its functionality adds so much more stability (especially when walking or even jogging) and can help to alleviate some pressure, as it widens the focal point of the clamping force.

Typical of my threads, this is getting long winded for a non-review, so I'll leave it at those main points. I hope anyone thinking of a closed portable solution finds this informative (despite the anecdotes in the early half
wink.gif
). The Sennheiser HD25-1, while expensive at retail, can be obtained for a very reasonable price used - and even new when the right sale comes along. They make for a great Rock/Rap/IDM can, but handle many genres well. Acoustic music sounds very nice, but I would personally stay away if your main interests are Classical and to some extent Jazz. There just isn't enough airiness to do them justice. From a portable perspective, these are compact, light, isolate incredibly well... and are basically bulletproof.

Highly recommended as a compromise between a quality listening experience and portability/isolation.

Jan 10, 2007 at 9:32 PM Post #2 of 12
Yeah they're really great. I just bought another pair to give to a friend.

If the headphone is still on the stock cable, make sure to swap it out, as you'll find a huge improvement... For my friend I'm just getting a stock HD-650 replacement cable from Sennheiser, instead of the $80-120 aftermarket headphile cable I have for my own. But it will still be a pretty big improvement over stock HD25 cable, which as people have pointed out, is braided steel.

And coincidentally, here at work, I swap between the SR-225 and the HD25-1. I wouldn't say that I necessarily prefer one over the other, but I find them useful for different purposes.

Jan 10, 2007 at 10:55 PM Post #3 of 12
eek.gif
The SR-225s had to go? The tragedy. And I got an earful at the last meet when I suggested upgrading to something else and pawning the 225s.
biggrin.gif

Jan 10, 2007 at 10:57 PM Post #4 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by The_Duke_Of_Eli /img/forum/go_quote.gif
eek.gif
The SR-225s had to go? The tragedy. And I got an earful at the last meet when I suggested upgrading to something else and pawning the 225s.
biggrin.gif

You must understand... RS-1s are on the way.
rs1smile.gif

Jan 11, 2007 at 1:50 AM Post #5 of 12
i heard great things about them but i'm still not decide on which, either the sp version or the 1 you guys talking about. i know hd25-1 are better but does it really worth the extra cash?

Jan 11, 2007 at 2:53 PM Post #6 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chinchy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If the headphone is still on the stock cable, make sure to swap it out, as you'll find a huge improvement... For my friend I'm just getting a stock HD-650 replacement cable from Sennheiser, instead of the $80-120 aftermarket headphile cable I have for my own. But it will still be a pretty big improvement over stock HD25 cable, which as people have pointed out, is braided steel.

I'm definitely going to be looking into that. I'm wondering how the cabling works though - obviously the cables have detachable contacts, but as far as rigging it through the headband and getting it set so it's not sloppy wires all over the place... well, that's a different story. Time to do some searchin'!

[EDIT] That was easy - guess you just pop the wires out and flip the cups upside down. Man, you really have to love the versatility of this simple, strong design!

Jan 11, 2007 at 7:32 PM Post #7 of 12
These were the front-runners when I was going to buy a set of closed headphones for my brother. I wonder if Sennheiser will ever update them, now that they are near perfection (for non-audiophiles)? I guess the 280's are probably higher on their priority list - but since they update the 500 and 600-series regularly, I don't see why they couldn't allocate some of their budget to improving the closed/DJ lineup.

Enjoy the music, and your new RS-1's
evil_smiley.gif

Jan 11, 2007 at 8:00 PM Post #8 of 12
An update would be much appreciated. One of the immediate things that has come to mind for a future DIY mod is to take the cans apart, prime them, and get a good, glossy paint with a clearcoat finish on it.

I'm not sure if it'll work, but every single part of the HD25 is microphonic. Perhaps smoothing the "grainy" plastic finish is all it would take to reduce this effect. Only one way to find out!

Jan 12, 2007 at 6:55 PM Post #9 of 12
Wow. That's all I can say. I've been wearing these things pretty much non-stop since receiving them and they have been consistently blowing my mind. A consideration I never really thought of: I wonder if I just don't care for open Senneisers? My general experience has been that, despite their undeniable strengths, Sennheiser's presentation just isn't for me. I like the PX100 and to some degree, the 595 and 580, but never enough to drop the coin.

Listening to the HD25, It appears to be the closed chambers and their subsequent damping that's maintaining my big, toothy grin. The Senn sound is there - warmth and mellowness in tact - but the tight attacks and snaps really up the involvement level.

Stereolab, in particular, has me going crazy. I'm at work right now and I just want to jump up, grab a colleague and just start dancing (and I don't dance)!

Great rock cans indeed, but music like Mouse on Mars and Stereolab are simply incredible.

Time to go. Sound Dust is coming to a close and it's high time I jammed to Emperor Tomato Ketchup!

Jan 12, 2007 at 7:13 PM Post #10 of 12
I just want you to know that your HD25-1 reaction is not unusual. I generally listen through these Senns more than any other headphone in my collection because of their size, sturdiness, and of course, their sound. I have become addicted to their attack, particularly in the bass region, even with low oomph amps (1G Shuffle and macbook). Your post led me to reflect on how much I actually use these guys, particularly when multitasking. They may not be the most nuanced of transducers, but they sure are fun and addictive.

FWIW I got them used with a headphile cable and have have no idea how much diff that makes.

Jan 12, 2007 at 7:40 PM Post #11 of 12
Indeed. I like these enough already that, at the bare minimum, I will be replacing the stock cable with the HD650 one.

At the moment though, I'm looking at recable options from Headphile and Black Dragon. Intending to keep the cable length to a metre, 1.5 tops.

Feb 18, 2012 at 6:06 PM Post #12 of 12

Quote:
I just want to jump up, grab a colleague and just start dancing.

I have the same reaction everyday I put these babies on my head. I too want to grab random strangers (generally not a good idea in London) and say 'listen to this amazing sound'
It has renewed my interest in music like no other piece of audio equipment I have purchased. I am just so pleased I decided to take the plunge and buy them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back