hd25-1 impressions thread
Mar 17, 2015 at 1:07 PM Post #2,521 of 3,350
So after a move at work to another part of the building, and being told that I can only wear one headphone/earphone the senns were a life saver today.  Just swiveled one up and left the other on my left side.  Better than nothing, though it does mean the end of me listening to audiobooks and comedy's at work for the time being.

Mar 17, 2015 at 1:17 PM Post #2,522 of 3,350
So after a move at work to another part of the building, and being told that I can only wear one headphone/earphone the senns were a life saver today.  Just swiveled one up and left the other on my left side.  Better than nothing, though it does mean the end of me listening to audiobooks and comedy's at work for the time being.

Now all you need to do is convert your entire music collection to mono! ;P

Mar 17, 2015 at 2:02 PM Post #2,523 of 3,350
In a way it's been helpful, as it mean's right now there's very little point in getting decent audio gear for a while.  So that's one way off the upgrade path :p

The irony being it's the one room in the place where isolation would be very useful to have of course!

Mar 18, 2015 at 10:47 PM Post #2,524 of 3,350
Well, everything went according to plan, the bashed up HD25 arrived, I switched over both drivers in a few minutes and its worked out. I think the main problem was the pins on my usable cable had thinned out a little. I tinned them lightly with solder to make the connection more secure. Very helpful guide here below.

http://www.instructables.com/id/Sennheiser-HD25-1-Diagnose-and-Repair/

Apr 2, 2015 at 2:48 AM Post #2,525 of 3,350
So I just got the Oyaide cable. I'm back to single side cable, yay! Going on a plane and didn't want to have to go back to the stock steel cable.

My only real complaint right now is that the blue cable I bought doesn't exactly match my HD25 Originals. It's less obvious since I'm using the black HD25 Aluminum pads, so...whatever.

Apr 2, 2015 at 3:02 AM Post #2,526 of 3,350
So I just got the Oyaide cable. I'm back to single side cable, yay! Going on a plane and didn't want to have to go back to the stock steel cable.

My only real complaint right now is that the blue cable I bought doesn't exactly match my HD25 Originals. It's less obvious since I'm using the black HD25 Aluminum pads, so...whatever.

Cool. hope you enjoy it on the flight!!

Reminds me of my HD25 I borrowed a friend to see if he likes it. He never gave it back to me, I think he is in hiding, he must love the headphone...

Apr 2, 2015 at 9:55 AM Post #2,527 of 3,350

You mean the Adidas version? How come it doesn't match ? Is the cable a lighter blue? I was considering buying this cable since my original steel cable is already causing trouble, can you notice a difference in sound and quality of the cable overall? Thanks

Apr 2, 2015 at 5:00 PM Post #2,528 of 3,350
You mean the Adidas version? How come it doesn't match ? Is the cable a lighter blue? I was considering buying this cable since my original steel cable is already causing trouble, can you notice a difference in sound and quality of the cable overall? Thanks

Right. The Oyaide cable is more a baby blue vs the Adidas royal blue.

I haven't compared this cable directly to stock and will not bother to do so, but I think most will say a decent copper cable is better. I felt like there was a slight improvement when I switched to a HD650 cable from stock.

Build quality is similar though the Oyaide seems strangely more stiff. The plug is smaller because it is 3.5mm only and doesn't accept a screw on adapter.

Apr 3, 2015 at 6:10 PM Post #2,529 of 3,350
I've just bought a pair of sealed HD25BAs on impulse. I still don't know for sure if these are basically HD25SPs or have the 300ohm drivers like the 25-13s.

Anyone know for definite ?

Apr 3, 2015 at 8:55 PM Post #2,530 of 3,350
I've just bought a pair of sealed HD25BAs on impulse. I still don't know for sure if these are basically HD25SPs or have the 300ohm drivers like the 25-13s.

Anyone know for definite ?

http://www.head-fi.org/t/81948/any-hd25ba-users-here-please-deh

http://www.head-fi.org/t/154213/senn-hd25-from-b-a-concord-airplane-different-from-regular-hd25

Apr 4, 2015 at 3:48 AM Post #2,531 of 3,350
Apr 9, 2015 at 5:02 PM Post #2,532 of 3,350
New owner of HD 25's here.

Don't want to criticise too much but I'm a little bit disappointed with the HD 25-1 II as my first good headphones. Payed 200$ for them. I received them yesterday and listen to them all the time, and comparing sections of the songs with the Monoprice 8323 which cost around 27$. My source is Macbook Air (VOX music player), and LG G2. I use flac or alac only.

Is my hearing dumb? I notice better instrument separation and clearer sound. But the difference doesn't seem big to me. Of course they sound nice but the sound seems a little weak and unfulfilling. They sound underpowered although many say they don't really need amping. I've read a lot of reviews and I don't notice that punchiness, sparkliness, and overall in your face sound. Ok, when I turn up the volume really high they come alive, but I don't like listening at high volume. 

Am I missing something, was I expecting too much? Is price tag of expensive headphones all about the build quality, detail and instrument separation? I was really hoping for a fun, engaging sound that will blow me away since I have never listened to a 200$ headphones.

I've already ordered Topping portable amp, and I'm burning them in with pink noise while I'm not listening.

I hope I will be able to delete this comment after/If I change my opinion when I receive the amp :)

And no, they are not not HD 25 SP :)

Apr 9, 2015 at 6:45 PM Post #2,533 of 3,350
It's already pretty good that the HD25's are giving you noticeable improvement, even with onboard sound.

You won't notice much of an improvement with just the amp plugged into the macbook, as you will just be doing double amping. Instead you'll find more improvement through getting yourself a DAC. A simple DAC to begin with would be the ELE DAC EL-DO1, which should cost around $15-$20.

Unfortunately, things aren't as simple as "pay more for better quality" especially not when I've seen DIY projects for pre-amps costing $5 that rivals those on the $1500 price tag. Different headphones have different sound signatures, as do most amps, hopefully none on DACS, and most of the money spent in this hobby is on finding the amp/dac that matches the headphone

The second issue is that our hearing are different, and our listening "tastes" tend to change slightly over time: causing us to favour different sounds as we carry on in this musical hobby of ours. It's very difficult to find the one set-up that will do everything perfectly for us. Maybe some will find the set-up that meets the requirements perfectly for a period of time, but the urge to try out new things is always around the corner.

Apr 10, 2015 at 8:30 AM Post #2,534 of 3,350
My HD25 BAs 'Concorde' have finally landed. They are indeed sealed and unused despite being 10+ years old.

Question now is do i actually open the bag and use them ?!?!?

Apr 10, 2015 at 8:58 AM Post #2,535 of 3,350
  New owner of HD 25's here.

Don't want to criticise too much but I'm a little bit disappointed with the HD 25-1 II as my first good headphones. Payed 200$ for them. I received them yesterday and listen to them all the time, and comparing sections of the songs with the Monoprice 8323 which cost around 27$. My source is Macbook Air (VOX music player), and LG G2. I use flac or alac only.

Is my hearing dumb? I notice better instrument separation and clearer sound. But the difference doesn't seem big to me. Of course they sound nice but the sound seems a little weak and unfulfilling. They sound underpowered although many say they don't really need amping. I've read a lot of reviews and I don't notice that punchiness, sparkliness, and overall in your face sound. Ok, when I turn up the volume really high they come alive, but I don't like listening at high volume. 

Am I missing something, was I expecting too much? Is price tag of expensive headphones all about the build quality, detail and instrument separation? I was really hoping for a fun, engaging sound that will blow me away since I have never listened to a 200$ headphones.

I've already ordered Topping portable amp, and I'm burning them in with pink noise while I'm not listening.

I hope I will be able to delete this comment after/If I change my opinion when I receive the amp :)

And no, they are not not HD 25 SP :)

First off, the Monoprice 8323 swing way above their weight class, easily the best "bang for the buck" headphone out there (at least in my opinion)...

With that said, my HD25s are awesome for what they are.  But, they do need a little time for head/headphone break in.

2 things that will make the things the HD25 more are a nice little dac/amp (like the Dragonfly 1.2 or Schiit Fulla or many others in the micro department), and ditching the lousy steel cables and going copper of better yet silver plated copper.

I'm sure these work horses will grow on you...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back