hd25-1 impressions thread
Aug 27, 2012 at 1:46 PM Post #1,966 of 3,348
Quote:
Hey... wanted some quick advice. I am right now sitting on approx. 250 USD and am willing to spend on a set of portable cans.

Now, I've read over this forum and across the internet that the HD25-1 II are near indestructible and are good for portable use. That said, the country which I am in is charging a 40% import duty on these and is pushing up the cost up from $199 to approx. $280.

On the other hand, I am getting the Shure SRH-840 for $200 (which is obviously more attractive from a money point of view). So here's the Q: If i do get the 840's, what do I stand to loose/gain in terms of sound quality? Secondly, would anyone here recommend the srh-840's for a daily commute? I am reasonably sure about the build quality of the hd-25-1 II, but what about the shures?

Am open to suggestions for other shures (440 and 940 as well).

Quote:
The 840 is a great choice and is better sonically than the HD25 in that it sound more tonally correct, more balanced, bigger soundstage and better imaging (mostly due to the fact that it's not supraaural and has bigger drivers). Both headphones have great detail retrieval and instrument separation. The biggest difference in their presentations is that the 840 is smooth and laidback while the HD25 has a more energetic aggressive sound which could be fun for many genres. That all said while the 840 may be suitable for portability for some, it still will never be as portable as the HD25. When you keep the bulkiness of a full size and coiled cable in mind - in comparison the HD25 is as light as a feather on the head, only difference is that it clamps more so it maybe uncomfortable for some not for me though. The HD25 also isolates better.
IMO I would say get the HD25 if you want a truly portable headphone - so portable you can run around with it and it won't even slide off your head. I would use the 840 at home. Anyway this is just my opinion. If you feel the 840 may be portable enough for you, then that's great.y advice would be to audition both headphones and get a feel for them.

Agreed, the SRH840 sound better but are not really portable.  If the springy coiled up cable was replaced with a shorter non-coiled cable they might be a bit more portable, but I don't know if anyone makes an aftermarket cable for the Shure.

Sep 3, 2012 at 10:34 PM Post #1,968 of 3,348
Could someone point me in the right direction for a shorter cable? Lighter and straight plug would be nice but length is the main thing. I don't believe cables alter SQ so not after an expensive 'audiophile' upgrade either.
I've been annoyed by the stock one for the past three years, time to change!

Sep 4, 2012 at 5:21 AM Post #1,969 of 3,348
Why not reterminate the existing cable? I know that customcans.co.uk is making custom cables but they are fairly pricy if you aren't a cable believer.

Oct 12, 2012 at 9:41 PM Post #1,971 of 3,348
I really like my Toxic Cables for the HD650's. I am still satisfied with the default cables on the HD25's....Hard to go for custom cables on a $200 pair of headphones...At what price point do you exceed your value proposition?

Oct 12, 2012 at 10:47 PM Post #1,972 of 3,348
Quote:
I really like my Toxic Cables for the HD650's. I am still satisfied with the default cables on the HD25's....Hard to go for custom cables on a $200 pair of headphones...At what price point do you exceed your value proposition?

I have heard this argument thrown around before . . . sometimes at me. Obviously, the buyer establishes whatever value their custom cables are worth for his|her given situation. In my particular case, if you can share a custom cable with a higher grade Senn phone, the cost for the custom cable is much more reasonable.

I have HD25-1 phones and use two "expensive" custom cables with them. I bought my HD25's used with the standard steel cable, which provided an unsatisfying sound. I replaced the old ear pads, which significantly upgraded the sound, especially the bass. However, knowing I was planning to buy higher grade Sennheiser phones later that could share the same cable as the HD25's, I shelled out money for a Headphile BlackSilver cable that provided clearly superior sound over the standard cable.

This is where I was questioned by some members here, using your implied argument of the value of using custom cables for a $200 (actually more like $120 used) phones. There are many members here with much more phones than I have as they search for their ultimate sound or establish their private collection of custom 'headphone sounds' for their various moods or whatever. However, my needs were very well defined from early on: I love accurate phones with great balance throughout the entire frequency range that were also physically robust. In other words, my needs are effectively filled with a small niche of the headphone world - namely, headphones designed for recording engineers, whether for studio or for location work.

The HD25's fall into that cast of phones designed for location work. I suppose the standard cables get the job done, but they sound so much more clear and expressive to me with the right custom cable. I upgraded my Headphile BlackSilver cable to a BlackGold version, a copper/silver wire concoction which added low frequency oomph to the silver wire's crystal clear miss and highs.

The initial intention was to share these cables with a HD600/650 phone. However, I discovered another Sennheiser phone that was superior to both. This was the now discontinued HD250 Linear II, a studio phone which boasts the deepest lows of any phone I have ever heard and still carries a balanced frequency range all the way to scintillating highs. One of the  basic differences between headphones and speakers is the latter's ability to deliver visceral bass. The HD250 is the only phone I know that truly delivers visceral bass! I also added my second custom cable, an Oyaide cable with Sennheiser phone plugs that seems to etch out even more detail over the already outstanding BlackGold cable.

The only hitch with the Oyaide cable is that it uses the old fashion Senn phone plugs rather than the newer Senn V2 plugs. The old fashion plugs are not as snug as the V2's on my BlackGold and tend to fall out of HD25/250 female ports fairly easily. As I do not trust my soldering inexperience with an expensive Oyaide cable, I'm going to have to find someone who can masterfully solder high grade V2's plugs to my Oyaide to provide optimal killer acoustics.

The HD25 with either the BlackGold or Oyaide is my optimal choice for a portable phone. The HD250, with that incredible deep bass and balanced frequency range, is the ultimate all-rounder for home usage. In the future I will probably add the the hyper detailed, hyper crystal clear Beyer DT48A to round out my headphone collection. The Beyer DT48A was designed for audiometric measurements. I have a low cost (~ $60) IEM that, while crystal clear, is not nearly as satisfying on the bass end. IEM's are the ultimate in portability, but I will probably have to spend over $1000 for sound superior to my HD25 with a custom cable. For now, the HD25/250 duo and the projected Beyer DT48A will be my essential headphone collection.

Oct 12, 2012 at 10:54 PM Post #1,973 of 3,348
^^

I appreciate your perspective. I certainly appreciate the benefit of a major cable upgrade as my Toxic's run 80% of the price of the HD650's. I am on the road a lot and I love the HD25's for portable HP's I am considering a cable upgrade since I do put a lot of hours on them every week. Probably something silver as I enjoy a bit more sparkle without limiting the already fine bass they produce.

Always another possible upgrade....
rolleyes.gif

Oct 12, 2012 at 11:14 PM Post #1,974 of 3,348
Quote:
^^

I appreciate your perspective. I certainly appreciate the benefit of a major cable upgrade as my Toxic's run 80% of the price of the HD650's. I am on the road a lot and I love the HD25's for portable HP's I am considering a cable upgrade since I do put a lot of hours on them every week. Probably something silver as I enjoy a bit more sparkle without limiting the already fine bass they produce.

Always another possible upgrade....
rolleyes.gif

Yeah, the fact that I spend a lot of time outside of home factored heavily into my decision to initially purchase a custom cable for the HD25. I love that fact that it can take a lot of punishment and that virtually all the parts are replaceable by Sennheiser or third party sources. For instance, I just replaced the headband padding ( the pads that rest on the top of your head) after the old padding succumbed to years of vigorous usage. I also have a backup pair of ear pads since the current ones, while still good, are starting to peel away.

One concern I had with my old silver cable, the Headphile BlackSilver: it seemed more delicate, more brittle than copper cables. I don't know if this is true of all silver cables since the BlackSilver was my first and only pure (well, 99% pure) silver cable. It was after a break, that Headphile offered to have me upgrade to the BlackGold cable (a silver/copper blend) at a discount. The BlackGold appears much more robust and has never provided any problems. The copper constituent adds a satisfying low end grunt that a pure silver cable would never provide. The silver constituent sweetens the mids and treble. It's a really sweet combination that seems to combine the strengths of copper and silver cables in one exotic blend.

If possible, try to audition cables in advance and let your ears tell you which sounds best to you. It's so fantastic to have first class sound on the go! 
cool.gif

Oct 12, 2012 at 11:26 PM Post #1,975 of 3,348
I was hauling around the HD650's. In the end I did not want to subject them to the abuse of travel. I may have to ask Frank to fire up another Silver Poison order for me...

Oct 13, 2012 at 7:08 AM Post #1,979 of 3,348
I just chuck mine into a separate compartment in my bag that I carry every day for work. Of course since the incident with my klipsch x1's and a can of coke (guess who won that particular incident?!) I keep headphones in one section, food and drink in another!

Oct 13, 2012 at 9:10 AM Post #1,980 of 3,348
Quote:
What kind of carrying case do you use for the HD25? Anyone found anything that you like?

Unlike the Beyer DT-1350 and the new Senn Momentum's the HD-25's don't need their own case. They come with a small bag which I never use. I just add them to the backback and go. Tough as nails, the HD25's!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back