HD25-1 ii / Adidas vs TMA-1 vs others?
May 17, 2011 at 12:04 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

AyeVeeN

100+ Head-Fier
So.. Hi :). I'm currently looking for an upgrade cause I'm selling my M50s (honestly, I don't know why really, but one reason is because I'm selling it for $5 more than I bought it for, and then it's insanely huge still to be portable even with its swivel features..). Been looking for rugged headphones and came to the conclusion of the HD25-1 and the TMA-1. Just to say, I LOVED the M50 sound. These would technically be my 4th headphone btw. First = DT770 250Ohm Consumer (I liked the M50s more, but I did love the 770's soundstage and velour pads). Second = M50s. 3rd = AD700s (for gaming really, but it gave me a headache and hated how it had pretty much no boomy bass).

I would've been completely sold on the TMA-1 if it at least had better treble (I don't have anything to EQ it, unless I use my E5 to bass boost it even farther :) which doesn't even relate to the area it's lacking in) and if it had clamp like the HD-25, but apparently it doesn't.

General usage will be walking around a high school / during classes (some teachers let me listen since I'm basically an overachiever in every class and get my work done anyway) and walking home from school, and while like. shopping. For now. DJing in the future probably.

Preferences:
  1. Boomy? Bass (I'm kinda a bass head, like. I amp up my M50s with E5 bassboost, and seriously would like to further boost it. I like rumble).
  2. Generally listen to hip hop, pop, some rock, r&b, rap, techno, electronica, dance, and I love songs that have piano in it (not talking about songs that are all piano though. I've gotten tired of those over the years. I'm 15 btw so.. not many years :)). The MAIN genres I listen to are hip hop, R&B, techno, electronica, and mainly things with bass (or acoustics / piano, like Taylor Swift / AJ Rafael, if I must say). Talking about artists like Eminem, Usher, Ne-Yo, Chris Brown, that typical stuff.
  3. Sounds good when piano is played?
  4. Rugged (for on the go use)
  5. DJ-like (hence the 2 headphones above), as I'm planning on starting to get into DJing as just a general hobby.
  6. Isolation / clamp.
  7. Looks count too :). Personally I found the HD25 look just.. weird. But I do like the Adidas ones (though I prefer Nike). Can get it for ~$180 open box apparently or maybe I can price match w/ ebay @ J&R for new.
  8. Build quality (guess it goes w/ rugged, but I personally dont like how the TMA-1 can just have the rubber coating / paint or whatever it is chipped off).
  9. Removable cord
  10. Soundstage (lol)
  11. Possibly would like to make it "wireless" :) like just plugging in a small cord and attaching a small DAP to the headband.

And to compare headphones in general, pros & cons for the headphones for my preferences that I've so far researched;
HD25-1:
  1. Pros
  • Insane clamp apparently / isolation (I'd like clamp because I'd like it to be able to like.. have it neck-band style / on the back of my head, rather than the top)
  • Analytical (don't know if this is good or bad actually for my preferences)
  • Can't think of much else currently. I just had a bunch but when I type up a thread it diminishes.
  1. Cons
  • Piercing trebles (I don't know if I can stand this or not, but according to girls screaming in my ears say, at assemblies, it hurts. Like mad).
  • Punchy? (prefer boomy / rumbly, like lower bass spectrum).
  • Ugly (for the regular one)
  • No sound stage at all apparently.
  1. Neutral
  • Cable jack is on top, rather than bottom (I dunno if this is more inconvenient or not. I live in SoCal, so we're basically a desert so rain isn't a problem, most of the time. Lately its been raining a lot more than usual though).
TMA-1
  1. Pros
  • Bass spectrum (dunno if it's boomy though).
  • Looks better than normal HD25s (imo).
  • Cable jack is on bottom, so no tugging when tripping over something.
  • BETTER. Soundstage. Still crappy I assume.
  1. Cons
  • Paint / coating chips off.
  • From what I've read, not as rugged as HD25s.
  • Treble is distant or something
  • Less clamp / less isolation

Just thought of basically everything on the top of my head. If you need clarification, please ask so I can clarify as I really need help in picking one :). I type up threads weirdly, just as a heads up.

As another note; I've thought of taking up IEMs, but I like wearing headphones around for some reason, even though IEMs are more convenient. Also, I destroy IEM cords it seems. And also don't really like that "boxed in" feeling and also would rather have sound coming from outside my ear, rather than right inside as I already have tinnitus (sadly, from blasting music last year in 8th grade).

And honestly, if I do get the HD25s, I'm really tempted to do a paint job and maybe get a new cord, so I dunno if the Adidas is worth it. But knowing me, I'll mess up the paint job, so maybe not.

May 17, 2011 at 12:40 PM Post #3 of 8
I myself prefer on-ears over in-ears as well, so I understand that sentiment.

Now, of the two, I've only owned the HD25-1 II, and briefly heard the TMA-1 in a store, so I can't really say if one is better than the other. That said, I listen to Hip-Hop/Electronic/Funk/Soul/Jazz, so my listening preferences line up with yours, as does my using them for walking around university campus, DJing (turntablism) and live sound monitoring. With that in mind, I can recommend the HD25-1 II to you, as they pretty much won't break and sound good for the genres of your choosing, though you should keep in mind that the soundstage isn't exactly what I'd call wide.

If you haven't already, check out these reviews from skratchworx for both headphones, to get a DJs opinion on both cans, then look up some audiophile reviews as well:

http://www.skratchworx.com/reviews/sn_hd25_1_ii.php
http://www.skratchworx.com/reviews/aiaiai_tma1.php

Good luck deciding man.

May 17, 2011 at 3:22 PM Post #4 of 8
I've only heard the TMA's out of the two, but overall I quite like them. I do find the treble a bit recessed and takes a bit of air away from the presentation; but I find these headphones dont mind being EQ'ed. I am a little dissapointed in the bass. While it's thick and punchy, I cant help but feel it droops when it nears 20hz (maybe I'm one of those lucky few that can hear below 20hz and notice the limitation of its 20-20k claim). As for the durability claim, while I havent put mine through any abuse, I dont see these falling apart any time soon. This pic sums up what the headband is capable of:

May 17, 2011 at 5:26 PM Post #5 of 8
@viewtifuljon

How's the bass presence on them though for hip hop? I don't really understand what people mean by "punchy." And yeah the soundstage was a killer.. :). Thanks for the links btw. Should help a lot.

@aleki

Do you mean by hearing 20hz as in feeling / hearing a rumble? If so I can too :). I love that rumble. That's what I'm looking for mainly but apparently the HD25s don't give it. M50s fit my needs, except it isn't so portable / rugged (as the other 2). I don't think I'd really have the option to EQ it (except my phones treble boost, which really sucks) unless I buy like, a Clip or something but I was never really fond of those players. Seems fun just attaching it to the headband though and have it attached to the headphone w/ a small cord (like the mod). Hows the rubber coating on them? Read stories about it being chipped off. Don't really want that either cause I have OCD basically.

Also, it seems like I'd like the 3.5mm jack on the TMA-1s over the HD25s.. plug in thing.

May 17, 2011 at 7:05 PM Post #6 of 8
If you have OCD, then you'll probably go mental with the TMA's. The material doesnt cope too well with oily hands and the chipping only seems to come from the cup constantly rubbing against the band. Fortunately, they look good as new after a brisk cleaning. The HD-25's look like they're built to be tossed around, where the TMA's are delicate, but dead sexy

edit: just to clarify, I mean delicate as in they bruise easy; although if you dont care about looks, they'll take abuse

May 17, 2011 at 9:10 PM Post #7 of 8
My "OCD" (if I really even have any, seems like I do the majority of the time though :)) isn't THAT severe. Can stand up to oil and stuff. Just not scratches and paint chippings :). What do you mean by they bruise easily? And good as new even with the chipping after cleaning?

May 20, 2011 at 11:42 PM Post #8 of 8
It's mentioned in the skratchworx review I posted, but basically, the matte finish wears off and becomes shiny really easily, so unless your okay with certain parts (i.e. headband) being shinier than other parts, then you might want to stay away from the AiAiAi. Again, I haven't heard them extensively, nor have I owned them, so I can't say too much about them. This thread actually made me want to pick up some TMA-1s, even though I don't need them, just so I could compare.

As for the Sennheisers, the bass...to be honest, I don't quite fully understand those "punchy/boomy" adjectives myself, but the bass is definitely there. Now granted, it isn't head-vibrating/basshead levels of bass, but I find it is more than sufficient for my use. Unfortunately, the best advice I can give you is to find a local place to test out both headphones, or to find a local member meet-up if you're lucky. As for the 3.5mm plug which you mentioned in an earlier post, both right-angle and straight plugs have their own advantages, and I haven't had any problems with the right-angle plug on the Sennheisers as far as plugs located on the bottom surface of an mp3 player.

Quote:
My "OCD" (if I really even have any, seems like I do the majority of the time though :)) isn't THAT severe. Can stand up to oil and stuff. Just not scratches and paint chippings :). What do you mean by they bruise easily? And good as new even with the chipping after cleaning?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back