HD DVD PLayer (Toshiba HD-A30) as a CDP? (I'm new to this)
Jul 3, 2009 at 12:02 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Rainbow Randy

Formerly known as Chicomm4
I just got a Cambridge Azur 540a a week ago, and I'm using it with a Toshiba HD-A30 and HD600. This sounds pretty good to me, but I wonder what you guys thinks about this setup. Have any of you tried it?

Also, would there be substantial benefits going to a dedicated CD player? I know pretty much nothing about this. If you can point me to some good threads about the basics of CDPs, that'd be great.

Jul 4, 2009 at 7:06 AM Post #2 of 3
Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiComm4 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just got a Cambridge Azur 540a a week ago, and I'm using it with a Toshiba HD-A30 and HD600. This sounds pretty good to me, but I wonder what you guys thinks about this setup. Have any of you tried it?

Also, would there be substantial benefits going to a dedicated CD player? I know pretty much nothing about this. If you can point me to some good threads about the basics of CDPs, that'd be great.

I have the Toshiba A-2 HD DVD and considered throwing a DAC in between for audio but after reading the manual I decided against it. I would have had to bypass some DSPs and filters for audio only so I left it as is for HDs and DVDs only.

If it sounds good to you and you are happy with it, that's what matters. If you're wondering would it sound better, that's a different matter altogether and a neverending story
biggrin.gif

I use a dvd player as a transport for music. An external DAC (digital to analog converter) bypasses the internals of the dvd player and basically the dvd player is used to spin the disc, so to speak. You connect the DAC to your amp via analog and the DAC to the dvd/cd player via optical/coax.

In reference to cd players, the better they are the better their internal dac is and no external dac is needed. I have a Marantz CD5001 that I purchased several years ago and it sounds great to me as is. There are many others that are better, but I'm happy with it. I also have a Sony CE335 5 disc carousel purchased in 1997 (I think) that I use with a DAC and it also sounds great.

Jul 4, 2009 at 9:47 AM Post #3 of 3
Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiComm4 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I had a entry level HD DVD player, and thought it bettered the Sony SACD 595 player by a nice margin. This upset me cause I bought the 595 as a upgrade.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back