hd 650s are awesome
Mar 15, 2008 at 11:53 AM Post #46 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by c64 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There in lies the problem you need to spend £200+ on an amp to make them sound better than a £60 pair of headphones.

They can sound very good with some less expensive amps, even the occasional receiver headphone jack, but they're quite picky about the specific pairing...much like the care that must be taken in pairing amps to certain speakers (Thiel). A person with some electronics skill and time to research could build a hell of an hd650 amp at reasonable cost.

Their uncanny ability to scale with primo gear is unique for that price ballpark, and that ability provides great value for some. That doesn't mean they're not also a potentially good choice for those on a tighter budget.

No, they're not for everyone...nothing is. What exactly is your experience with them - would you care to share that rather than continue taking potshots from what seems like a completely uninformed vantage point?

Mar 15, 2008 at 1:09 PM Post #47 of 72
No question about it... the HD650s are a great set of headphones (perhaps the best)... IF... you're willing to invest the thousand$ in the set up that they require to sound their best.

But.... if you're unwilling, or unable, to do so... you're better off with another set of phones - perhaps the HD580/600s, or RS-1s, or AD2000s, etc.

I thought they sounded great with my set up... but... in the end, I thought others sounded better with my set up... and... I was unwilling to invest the "big bucks" in the set up they require to sound their best. Yeah... I could EQ/SP them into submission... but... decided against that "processed" sound.

If I ever decide to invest the "big bucks" in a set up... I'll likely return to them... but... not until.

So... my advice... to all those, who are unwilling to invest the "big bucks"... is just to avoid them, and check out some others that don't require such a premium set up.

Mar 15, 2008 at 2:32 PM Post #48 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gradofan2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So... my advice... to all those, who are unwilling to invest the "big bucks"... is just to avoid them, and check out some others that don't require such a premium set up.

I certainly had this opinion a few months ago, but then I realized that in the long run, I would probably upgrade everything anyway... so ultimately, the HD650 will get the treatment that it needs to shine. So I bought them.
biggrin.gif

And I'm certainly enjoying them!

Mar 15, 2008 at 2:49 PM Post #49 of 72
I have enjoyed the HD650s on several levels ($$$$) of gear. I always enjoyed them, and considered them one of the best I had owned.
However to really understand the true abilities of these phones is to hear them on one of the over the top balanced rigs with cost no object sources and preffered cable upgrades. The fact they can be used in these kind of systems and not be a bottleneck is just really special for a phone you can pick up for 350.00.
This in no way is ment to diminish how great they sound in more budget minded systems. Is is not an either/or phone. If you like the sound they can go from good, to great, to easily top 3 dynamic phones (new or discontinued) out there.

Mar 15, 2008 at 5:22 PM Post #50 of 72
after only 20 hrs burn in these have improved considerably
the veil is still there, but my ears are burning in and I don't notice it as much
all aspects of the phones are improving, although I
might just be getting used to their sound
I find myself forgetting the headphones are there, which very rarely if ever happens with the DT880's
I like the idea of slowly upgrading these phones, and being able to be continuously surprised with new sound

Mar 15, 2008 at 5:56 PM Post #51 of 72
Everyone has their opinion for sure but I have to admit I absolutely have no complaints about the sound of these headphones! I love them.

I'm running mine from a Firestone Audio Fubar II USB DAC to a Corda HeadFive with the stock cable. I wouldn't describe the bass as flabby, especially compared to the HD570s that I upgraded from, there is far more detail in the bass and by comparison these have nice tight bass.

On top of everything, these are comfortable headphones. I use them for everything from listening to music to playing games and chatting on Vent. I'll wear them for hours at a time and they are VERY comfortable.

I feel that they are at least something that people should try out at some point in their Head-Fi journey.

Mar 15, 2008 at 6:30 PM Post #52 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by dreamwhisper /img/forum/go_quote.gif
after only 20 hrs burn in these have improved considerably
the veil is still there, but my ears are burning in and I don't notice it as much
all aspects of the phones are improving, although I
might just be getting used to their sound
I find myself forgetting the headphones are there, which very rarely if ever happens with the DT880's
I like the idea of slowly upgrading these phones, and being able to be continuously surprised with new sound

You will be able to forget they are there alot more when the pads break down a little and the tightness in the fit loosens up.
wink.gif

Mar 15, 2008 at 7:46 PM Post #53 of 72
Of the headphones I own, the 650 are my favorites. 300Ω headphones are demanding, and most problems people have with them is in the amplification phase. You really can't plug them into a DAP and expect results.

Mar 21, 2008 at 2:34 AM Post #54 of 72
The 650s have an "anti-hifi" presentation. They just allow the music to be heard for it is. Once they find their mates with a good cable, amp and source they disappear like no other other phone I've heard. If you want a cheap thrill, look elsewhere. For the discerning classical music lover, they are in the pantheon of great phones, along with the 600's.

Mar 21, 2008 at 4:13 AM Post #55 of 72
You shouldn't have to spend thousands to enjoy them. Sure, they scale well, as a lot of flagship and higher end cans do. I enjoyed my time with the hd650. However, I think too many people automatically discredits anyone who does like them that has not spent thousands of dollars to figure out if it's they're cup of tea.

You can get the senns to sound how they are supposed to sound with a mid priced source and amp...

Mar 21, 2008 at 4:16 AM Post #56 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by number1sixerfan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You shouldn't have to spend thousands to enjoy them. Sure, they scale well, as a lot of flagship and higher end cans do. I enjoyed my time with the hd650. However, I think too many people automatically discredits anyone who does like them that has not spent thousands of dollars to figure out if it's they're cup of tea.

You can get the senns to sound how they are supposed to sound with a mid priced source and amp...

I disagree..

Mar 21, 2008 at 5:10 AM Post #57 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by kool bubba ice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I disagree..

Well, then I guess that would mean just about everyone here is not doing justice to their hd650 seeing as how most people aren't using them with a benchmark dac1 and zana duex/apache/. I understand that they would sound better with the dac1 and duex, but that doesn't mean they don't sound like hd650's on an HR-2(or any other mid priced amp with a good amount of power) with an Apogee mini dac.

The idea that they can't be enjoyed or that they aren't good unless thousands of dollars are put into is just bs. As I said before, I'm sure it's better, even much better balanced and with a $2000 amp but people make it seem like if you don't want to throw thousands out of the window then you shouldn't get them.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 21, 2008 at 7:11 AM Post #58 of 72
Oh man, some posts here... But I'm not even going to start.

Personally, I always hated the HD650, but that's because I never heard it in the right rig. Once I heard it balanced, it was a revelation. Everything that I've ever hated about it (sluggish impulse response, bloated bass, lacking attack and dynamic range) was completely gone. Instead, it was transparent, detailed beyond belief, fluid, organic, and yet punchy as all hell, with truly 3-dimensional imaging. Really a world-class headphone if there ever was one.

I think the issue here is scaling. I do believe that the HD650 is a mediocre headphone on the vast majority of systems, and the flaw here is that it is simply too hard for most systems to drive. But, it scales and scales, and when you drive it properly, the results are magic.

In my experience the HD600 definitely outperforms the HD650 on lesser systems due to its more natural tone and superior tonal balance. Once you start piling on the cash and up the quality of the signal path, the HD650 rockets past the HD600 and never looks back. Though, it has to be said, the HD600 still remains a very good headphone in its own right.

Mar 21, 2008 at 2:44 PM Post #59 of 72
The idea that the 650 is easily outperformed on mid-range setups is thrown around a lot here, but I have never experienced this, and I have heard the 650 on quite a few lower priced systems.

My own setup is quite mid-fi, but being driven by the Presonus CS I found the 650 to easily better the Grado SR225 and SR325i, the AKG k501, and the Sennheiser HD 580.

Mar 21, 2008 at 9:51 PM Post #60 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by dkjohnso /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The idea that the 650 is easily outperformed on mid-range setups is thrown around a lot here, but I have never experienced this, and I have heard the 650 on quite a few lower priced systems.

My own setup is quite mid-fi, but being driven by the Presonus CS I found the 650 to easily better the Grado SR225 and SR325i, the AKG k501, and the Sennheiser HD 580.

I think the CS works pretty good with HD 650. Have you tried using the rear Cue output with a balanced cable? Out of your list of cans there I easily put the HD 650 above the 325i for overall enjoyment.

I've heard the HD 650 on some fairly expensive amps and it was amazing but my low standards allow me to enjoy the HD 650 from the low/mid-end amps that I own.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back