HD 600 vs HD 650
Oct 2, 2020 at 12:08 AM Post #436 of 441
You poor soul. You haven't heard the Sennys for real then.
Nah my soul is very content and clean from audiophilia shenanigans. I've heard them for real = how they're tuned by Sennheiser engineers dw :)

The HD650 stock tuning has its treble tonal balance tuned darker than neutral along with the noticeable mid-bass emphasis. Just got a pair HD600 and they're well tuned I would say that, minus the lack of bass and treble extension.

That's true for SS amps generally. But Senns don't sing until you have an OTL tube amp and perhaps some hybrid tubes (don't know, haven't tried).
I'm not one to explore tubes unfortunately. Would rather use EQ for fine tuning :)

Oct 2, 2020 at 12:20 AM Post #437 of 441
Nah my soul is very content and clean from audiophilia shenanigans. I've heard them for real = how they're tuned by Sennheiser engineers dw :)

The HD650 stock tuning has its treble tonal balance tuned darker than neutral along with the noticeable mid-bass emphasis. Just got a pair HD600 and they're well tuned I would say that, minus the lack of bass and treble extension.

I'm not one to explore tubes unfortunately. Would rather use EQ for fine tuning :)
Well, if you think it's audiophilia shenanigans, that's what it is to you. But, you will not know until you try something. Without trying or exploring, beliefs are suppositions without experiences they say.

Think about where you at now. You found out about HD600, but if you didn't try it, you may have been skeptical of it.

Have you ever wonder so many people say tubes work well with Sennys? You think they are all crazy?

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2020 at 12:31 AM Post #438 of 441
Well, if you think it's audiophilia shenanigans, that's what it is to you. But, you will not know until you try something. Without trying or exploring, beliefs are suppositions without experiences they say.
I think it's audiophilia shenanigans when someone tells me that not listening to the Sennheiser on at best, an uncoloured amp is "not hearing the Senny's for real". For one, what you hear from such amps is how Sennheiser engineers intentionally tuned them, so what you hear is the "real" tuning. If you think otherwise, I don't know what to tell you because logical reasoning wouldn't seem to apply to such discussions.

Have you ever wonder why people so many people say tubes work well with Sennys? You think they are all crazy?
I don't frankly, nor do I think those people enjoying Sennheisers are crazy - let's be clear on that because you seem offended by your interpretation of what I said.

What I don't like is people like I mentioned in my first paragraph above. This is not to invalidate what they say when they enjoy the Sennheisers from a tube amp. It's great they're enjoying their setup, more power to them. What I don't like is making superlative and encompassing generalized statements that are at best, their opinion.

Oct 2, 2020 at 12:49 AM Post #439 of 441
I think it's audiophilia shenanigans when someone tells me that not listening to the Sennheiser on at best, an uncoloured amp is "not hearing the Senny's for real". For one, what you hear from such amps is how Sennheiser engineers intentionally tuned them, so what you hear is the "real" tuning. If you think otherwise, I don't know what to tell you because logical reasoning wouldn't seem to apply to such discussions.

I don't frankly, nor do I think those people enjoying Sennheisers are crazy - let's be clear on that because you seem offended by your interpretation of what I said.

What I don't like is people like I mentioned in my first paragraph above. This is not to invalidate what they say when they enjoy the Sennheisers from a tube amp. It's great they're enjoying their setup, more power to them. What I don't like is making superlative and encompassing generalized statements that are at best, their opinion.
Well, my statement wasn't to be logical, and most of the time when I open my mouth isn't. lol. My point was to convey that Senneheisers sound good with tubes. Like how logic works with process of elimination, you try and determine if it sounds good or not.

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2020 at 1:07 AM Post #440 of 441
My point was to convey that Senneheisers sound good with tubes
See how big of a difference between that statement, and the one you previously said:

You poor soul. You haven't heard the Sennys for real then.

Also, notice the difference in implications between the two.

Oct 2, 2020 at 7:23 AM Post #441 of 441

I use a digital 6 and 10 band parametric EQ on the 600. It helps, but it's nowhere near qualitatively the equal of the BHC (OTL). It's not just colorations. My other amp is a Ragnarok 1 which kills the BHC on my low impedance cans. But the Rag gets smoked by the BHC on the 600. Much wider and persistent sound stage, (the depth sounds like a 5 pane adjustable shoji screen, with a very focused center straight on, a 5 piece jazz band in an acoustic setting demonstrates the other 4 panes). The BHC/600 match gives a much richer tonality, the bass is strong to 35 Hz not 75 like on SS amps. The treble is sweeter w/ better micro details - although there is a shading of one note sound on the more forward notes. Before I heard it, I was told it was a good match but with no extreme descriptions. Talk about English understatement. I went and bought one after my 2nd session with that set. They say the HD-800 is excellent on them as well. On my way to the Susvara I may just stop in at HD-800 land.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back