HD 598 Real or Fake leather?
Nov 12, 2011 at 6:05 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

mnkeypince

New Head-Fier
I have very conflicting answers from many different sources. So is the headband padding cover made with real or faux leather? I really hope its real, because thats one of the reasons i ordered it.

Nov 12, 2011 at 7:03 AM Post #4 of 18
The headband being genuine leather is that important? 
blink.gif

Nov 12, 2011 at 7:12 AM Post #5 of 18
well, not really, but i guess you can say its part of the wow factor that got me really interested in the 598 in the first place, i mean, you gotta admit, its aesthetics alone is kinda jaw dropping

but now the glamour wore off, ill focus on other models like the 701 or maybe the HD595.

Nov 12, 2011 at 10:00 AM Post #6 of 18
 I've seen and tried the HD598s. Even though it's faux leather, it feels and looks really nice. The whole thing with the wood accents looks great as well. The sound is amazing if it's your sound. I really recommend you try to audition them, I'm sure there are some stores in the CA area?

Nov 12, 2011 at 10:12 AM Post #7 of 18
My Q701's sound extremely different from my HD-598's.  Be vewy, vewy cawuhful.
wink.gif

Nov 12, 2011 at 2:14 PM Post #8 of 18
You shouldn't be caught up on whether the leather is real or not.  Synthetic leather is widely used today because, if done right, is more sturdy and can last longer compared to real leather.  Sure it doesn't breathe, but if the ear cups are spacious enough and the clamp is loose enough, breathability really isn't a problem.  Sadly, Sennheisers clamp a good bit.

On internet pictures, Sennheiser headphones look good, but in person, the majority of their headphones look like cheap, plastic toys-- 598 being on that list, and even 650.  Only does their HD800 look and feel very robust.  If you're really after build quality, get a Beyer.

Nov 12, 2011 at 4:34 PM Post #10 of 18
The 701 is quite a jump over the 598, and the 595 is below it.  The leatherette on my headband is top notch, and I doubt I'd have noticed the difference.  If leather is a must for you, I'd recommend getting a Grado and buying the J. Money headband. 

Nov 12, 2011 at 6:45 PM Post #12 of 18
Nov 12, 2011 at 9:21 PM Post #13 of 18

Quote:
This decision being made on leatherette instead of 2 completely different sounds?

lol not the main reason, but it is a reason, its another pro i take off the HD598 list.

Ive been comparing different headphones, cost/quality, etc. and when i thought the leather on the 598 was real, it was an indicator that the headphone quality is probably top notch, so no, its not just all about if the leather is fake or not, but now i can jsut consider other options

Nov 12, 2011 at 11:27 PM Post #14 of 18
I'd hardly consider material usage to be an indicator of quality.  The HD800 is plastic, and yet it is one of the better headphones out there.  I'd still recommend taking a good listen to the 598s.  They're amazing headphones for the price, and they tend to fluctuate quite a bit in price.  One would think that Sennheiser would be getting slammed for the cracking issue, and not use of cushy materials. 

Nov 12, 2011 at 11:33 PM Post #15 of 18
There's a reason why even flagship headphones choose not to use real leather as their padding.  HD800 must be made of some damn good plastic.  At first I coulda sworn it was metal.  It's a far-cry from all the other hollow plastic cans Sennheiser poops out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back