HD 555 upgrade - New headphones, AMP/DAC or soundcard?
Aug 18, 2014 at 10:00 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

djodars

New Head-Fier
Hi guys,

I'm new here and my first post is me needing help in a very specific topic.

I used to play Counter-Strike 1.5 a LOT (started in 1999) and I just started playing CS:GO with my team from back in the days. As some of you know, audio is a really important part of this game as hearing footsteps accurately can make the difference between winning a crucial round or losing the game.

I currently own a pair of Sennheiser's HD 555 that I bought in ~2007 with onboard audio (Realtek ALC1150) and I've never really experienced any thing else. Here are the specs for these headphones:

Frequency response: 15 – 28,000 Hz
Impedance: 50 Ω
SPL(1 kHz, 1 Vrms): 112 dB
THD: < 0.2 %

Even after a lot of reading on different websites, I don't quite understand these numbers as well as I would like yet.

My ultimate goal is to hear footsteps better and obviously, have better quality all around for music amongst other things.

Can somebody explain what these numbers are, what they do, are they bad, good or normal?

Also, what should I do, upgrade to a new pair of headphones, get a soundcard (i.e.: Creative Soundblaster Zx) or get an AMP/DAC like the Schiit Magni/Modi.

Hopefully we can have a great discussion!

P.S.: If you vote on the poll, please explain why in the comments.

Aug 18, 2014 at 11:15 AM Post #2 of 7
Did you have a budget for your audio upgrade?

I'm guessing as your into gaming, get the Sound blaster Z sound card ($85).

Aug 18, 2014 at 11:31 AM Post #3 of 7
I don't want to put a budget on this question because I'd rather have an unbiased opinion rather than over-the-top recommandations but I'd like to stay under $300.

As for the Soundblaster Z, I read a few posts on this forums + reviews on youtube that said soundcards are pretty much useless apart from the virtual surround software they're providing and that one should get a DAC instead as it doesn't risk introducing noise and is of better quality overall. Also, they state in the specs that the frequency response for headphones (33 ohms): 10Hz to 45kHz. Does that mean that the frequency response will be worse at 50 ohms?

For virtual surround, I know Razer came out with their Surround software which I tried but didn't like very much. I think stereo still provides the best positional cues in-game and surround isn't used to listen to music.

Aug 18, 2014 at 5:37 PM Post #4 of 7
  I don't want to put a budget on this question because I'd rather have an unbiased opinion rather than over-the-top recommendations but I'd like to stay under $300.

As for the Sound Blaster Z, I read a few posts on this forums + reviews on youtube that said sound cards are pretty much useless apart from the virtual surround software they're providing and that one should get a DAC instead as it doesn't risk introducing noise and is of better quality overall. Also, they state in the specs that the frequency response for headphones (33 ohms): 10Hz to 45kHz. Does that mean that the frequency response will be worse at 50 ohms?

For virtual surround, I know Razer came out with their Surround software which I tried but didn't like very much. I think stereo still provides the best positional cues in-game and surround isn't used to listen to music.

On-board audio is getting better every year and the Realtek ALC1150 seems about the best you can get for on-board audio.
A $250-$300 motherboard might come with the same DAC chip (CS4398) as the Sound Blaster Z ($85).
And an external DAC is not effected by electrical noise that might be inside the computer case, I do agree that an external DAC/amp will offer the best audio quality, if your willing to pay the price for it.
I myself spent $300 for an Audio-GD NFB-15.32, to replace my Asus Xonar Essence STX sound card.
You can have good sounding headphones anywhere rated from 16-Ohms to 600-Ohms, just have to make sure your amplifier is good at driving the Ohm rating of your headphones.
I believe most human ears can't really hear much above 20kHz, so having a headphone that lists 45kHz really does not offer any real advantages.

If you happy with the features of the Realtek ALC1150 and just want better audio quality, then get an external DAC/amp.
(might as well make sure you have updated to the latest Realtek audio drivers for your motherboard)
There is the Schiit Modi optical DAC ($99) and the Schiit Magni ($99) or Vali ($120) headphone amplifiers.
The FiiO E17 ($140) comes with optical input (WM8740 DAC chip) and a headphone amplifier that can drive headphones from 12-Ohms to 250-Ohms.
The new FiiO E11K external headphone amplifier ($65) could be pair with an external DAC of your choice (drives headphones from 12-ohms to over 300-Ohms).

Aug 18, 2014 at 7:04 PM Post #5 of 7
Im currently using HD555 with STX. Music via ASIO in Foobar2K (UNi drivers). With tiny bit of EQ work (advanced EQ for F2K) it sounds really really good. At least as long as source is good. Hope you did that "tape-mod" for HD555. :D

For music, even buying STX and using it as I do, positive shock is guaranteed. :D

If I was going to get AMP+DAC (which I will eventually, next headphones is going to be Beyerdynamic DT880s) its going to be probably most expensive stuff I can buy, simply cause there is no point in some medium steps. I take ASUS STX as something I need cause its pretty decent for music, but main point is that its in same time very good for games (UNi drivers bit less, original ASUS ones are good for gaming). Using high end AMP+DAC for gaming is bit overkill.. (plus no 3D sound and game sounds arent that good for this).

Otherwise for gaming on PC, its always better to have decent dedicated sound-card. From my experience I would just stay away from Auzen cards.. tad bit too much trouble with them (plus I ended with one non-RMAable piece, at least OPAMPs are ok I think :D). ASUS or Creative is good.

Aug 18, 2014 at 8:42 PM Post #6 of 7
Thank you for the info guys,

After reading for about 10 hours on the subject, I now know a lot more about headphones and audio in general. Was fun!

I ultimately decided to go with the Soundblaster Z as it was fairly cheap (CAD $100 including taxes+shipping). I think it's going to be the best for what I want to do right now.

If I ever want to upgrade my headphones for listening to music, I'll go with a DAC/AMP though.

Aug 19, 2014 at 10:32 AM Post #7 of 7
Edit: After thinking about it, what if I'd get the Schiit stack (Magni/Modi), would it take the Razer Surround output into consideration when sending the signal to the Modi?

If that's indeed the case, I'd buy the stack instead because the headphones I want next will definitely require an amp (Mr Speakers Alpha Dog)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back