HD 202 or Portapro or any other?
Aug 28, 2011 at 1:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Scube

New Head-Fier
Hi there, I'm a newcomer here in need of some help. Looking for a good headphone which is not too costly. I've never had a good headphones so looking to start somewhere. I  tried the HD 202 at a store yesterday and I really liked the sound, not mindblowing but I think that's what I get for the money. Read some reviews of the Koss Portapro and from what I read, I quite liked it,even liked the design. These Headphones may be under £30 but if there's another headphone I really like I can go upto £50 ($80'ish ?). Some other phones I am looking at are the Senn PX-100/PX-200, AKG K450, HD4*8 series (but the reviews say not enough bass :/ ), Audio Technica ATH-WS55 ( though out of range, but if i get a good price I may go for it). I mainly listen to Metal and Rock and am not exactly a basshead but I like some good Bass present in the sound. Would be great if someone could help me. Been in the search for over 2 weeks now and it's getting a little frustrating now. Had bought ATH-M50 for £55 after reading the reviews only to find out they are fakes :/, in the process of a refund now. So please help this poor chap here. Thanks in advance.

Aug 28, 2011 at 2:11 PM Post #2 of 5
All M50s under about $100 are going to be fakes.

If you don't need portable, try out the Superlux series.

If you do need something a bit more portable, try these:
http://www.amazon.com/Ultrasone-HFI-450-Surround-Professional-Headphones/dp/B000WN9PLK/
They're better sounding than Superluxes, but more expensive. They're designed a bit like the M50, physically.

Aug 29, 2011 at 1:44 AM Post #3 of 5
I have the KSC35 which use the same drivers as the Porta Pro, and they are more transparent, neutral and open sounding than my HD-202.  But the HD-202 are more fun colored for rock music or movies and offer decent isolation.

Personally their both so cheap that you could get both. But I think the KSC35 come closer to a $70-100 Grado than a $40 headphone should.  I put mine in a $1.99 partsexpress.com headband and don't use the ear clips.

The PX100 are a little darker sounding, like a mini version of HD650 without all the micro-detail.  I think the 202 might be a little more fun sounding with cheap amps, but the PX100 do improve a bit with a good amp.  Be careful, the PX100 has a lot of fakes out there.

I haven't heard a lot of the other phones in this price range.  One that stands out is the Nuforce UF-30 which once it has a lot of burn-in sounds fairly transparent with a big soundstage, but with a little bit of a "U" shaped frequency response.  But fortunately it doesn't have those honky sounding upper mids of the Grado SR-60 for the same price.

Aug 29, 2011 at 2:26 AM Post #4 of 5
My brother does all of his music production on HD 202s. I listened to them for a while and enjoyed the sound. It was bright sounding, with a sub bass roll off (probably around 70-100 hz) that was very noticeable when compared to my m50s. They did guitar and vocals very well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back