HD 201, Budget that got it right
Jan 1, 2013 at 8:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Magicman74

500+ Head-Fier
I'm sure everyone has had or heard these as they have been on the market for years and years.
So I got a few Best Buy cards for Christmas and said why the hell not, last week they were $20 shipped so why not.
I was buying a HD439 anyway so I just added em on my order.
Now I had these WAY back and remembered at the time I thought they were quite nice.

As you know the build is really good for a cheapo set. The main thing is the pads are crap but here's where it gets good.
The newer 400 series fit them perfect, like they were made for them really. I had a broken set of 419's that I was hanging on to so I just snagged the Velours off them and swapped them out to the 201's.  Hey now, comfort it on another level, Still got a little clamp but these are fresh out of the package.

They do get looser for sure. But the biggest thing is the sound upgrade.  The bass is nice and tight and actually have a decent punchy thump now. The details are there as well, but I think the best is now the highs don't have that extra sizzle the 201's are know for, it's nice and smooth.

So I say if you are looking for a set of cans for around $40 after the pad upgrade. I think it will be pretty hard to beat.
The 201's on Amazon go for $17 constant and the pads 419/438/39 Velour's are $10 from Senn.

Hell that's under $30, Lunch cost me that yesterday, know what I'm saying?

Jan 1, 2013 at 11:25 PM Post #3 of 6
Quote:
How do you replace the pads?

I'm sure there's a video somewhere?  Simple really, If you look real close at the outside of the pads, you'll see small little tabs that are coming off of the housing. Just push the pads inwards carefully as not to snap any of the little tabs. Then just reverse to put them back on. I think there are like 10 tabs or so going around the pads/housing.  Very easy, just take your time so you don't snap a tab.

Jan 1, 2013 at 11:30 PM Post #5 of 6
Quote:
Rip them off. 

@Op: great to hear. I have been looking at those headphones for a while for those who are looking to get cheap stuff. 

HA HA, you could do that as well. The stock ones are junk. Just don't snap a tab..LOL

Jan 2, 2013 at 12:12 AM Post #6 of 6
Guys, I want to share my POV about the HD-201 too.

I bought one hoping to get some decent isolation from noise if I had too. Most of my headphones are open back and the HD-201 is so affordable.

When I first use it, it sounds flat and lack of life but OK for my intended purposes except the isolation wasn't that isolated. Volume is way softer that a normal consumer headphones. I have a headphone AMP of course. I have burned it for few days and also trying to do a little bit reading about them and in Amazon user review I heard similar comment. Sennheiser guys also reply many times in Amazon that good seals in important for the HD-201.

I then try to get a better tight fitting around my ears, press the pad hard to ensure they are probably sealed and tight fitted. I adjusted the headband tighter than what I usually prefererd. Indeed, the sound is definitely very much better. Better clarity and bass but of course these are never strong in bass but tight enough.

I also look at the FR graph:

I guess why such a low impedance headphones sound so much softer in volume is the the FR is quite low so to hear these response, a user need to turn it's volume much higher than usual to be able to hear them at the usual volume. <- Please correct me if my assumption is wrong.

OK, how do they sound? Low-fi or like FM transmission when I first heard them. While OK they lack resolution although they are listenable. Not forgetting I have the HD-650, MS2i, MS1i and PX-200II and a few good IEMs so I do have better phones I can use.

However, I do not have problem reaching for the HD-201 for the past few days after I learn how to properly fit them on my ears and get a proper seal. The sound signature are very sensitive to seal like an IEM. I think they sounds quite well with modern music and actually not bad across the board. There is no ear shattering bass, no piercing high and I can wear them for hours without getting fatigue.

I also realized something, old music record in the 80's or 90's can actually sound better on them than my HD-650. The HD-650 can be too reveal on these old music and I also find them to pair very well in more consumer type of DAPs. They sound very good together.

I think it is a good headphones to keep around your work desk, it is a good headphones since I still enjoy my music very much when using them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back