Hawaii Mini-Meet
Aug 3, 2006 at 11:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

refault

100+ Head-Fier
So today skyline889 came over to my place and brought his gear. This is what was auditioned.

Headphones:
Grado HF-1
Grado HP-2
Grado SR-225
Sony CD3000 w/ Larry's woodie/cable mod
Sennheiser HD650

Amps:
Corda Headfive
Ray Samuels Audio Emmeline SR-71

Sources:
NAD C521BEE
EMU 0404 w/ modded opamps
Creative Zen Vision

Cables:
Zu Pivot
Rhapsody IC

Impressions:
Since I own the HD650 and HP-2 I'm quite well "tuned" to their sound signature. I mainly wanted to check out the new source/amp setup that skyline brought over because I've never tried a Corda before.

I felt as if the CD3000 w/ mod was a more airy, wide version of the HD650. The CD3000 has a very lush and full-bodied sound with deep high and low end extension. I really enjoyed it as a compliment to the HD650.

The HD650 on the other hand seemed "veiled" compared to the CD3000. The highs, although prominent, weren't as forward on the HD650 as on the CD3000. For both cans, the low end extension is deep and heavy, with the CD3000 exhibiting a bit more clarity between notes than the HD650.

More impressions coming in a bit... so far I'm impressed. Thanks skyline for coming by and bringing your gear,
smily_headphones1.gif
. Pictures coming up soon.

Aug 4, 2006 at 1:02 AM Post #3 of 9
This mini-meet was actually full of surprises to me. I didn't realize how much my tastes have changed and improved over the past few months. Everything I tried, even the cans I had previously owned sounded different to me.

SR-225: The sound sig, as I remembered, was very similar to that of the HF-1s. However, my recollection was that they sounded nearly the same, I guess I remembered wrong
biggrin.gif
. The SR225 had a bit more resolution on the top end, and a tighter bass line. The HF-1 though, just seemed like more of a "fun" can. It's by far not an accurate can however, it's coloration is what makes it such a great listen. The SR225 in contrast was also a fun can that makes you want to bounce your head to. It definitely is a viable alternative to the elusive HF-1.

HP-2: Wow, once again not as I remembered. Could my tastes have really changed this much? When I first auditioned the HP-2s, they were flat and boring, now though, it's an amazing can. It's so detailed and is true to its reputation of being a neutral and amazingly accurate can. This is how music was meant to sound! It just sounds so natural.

HD650: Blegh! I used to love these cans, what happened?? I loved these so much I had two at one point of time! When I had them, I didn't believe of the whole Sennheiser veil thing. Now I definitely do. It sounded very muffled and lacked a lot of detail and resolution, even the bass wasn't as good as I remembered. It was a bit flabby and too muddy for my current tastes.

SR-71: I might be picking another one of these up soon! I first bought one of these to use portably when I first started out in the hobby, that was a big mistake. My ears hadn't developed enough back then, and so I could barely hear a difference between amped and un-amped with my portable set-up. I tried the RSA with my Zen Vision and now there was a noticeable difference. I've never thought of the Zen Vision as having a muddy low-end, but after I ran my vision through the SR71 and out to the HP-2s, wow. The bass was so tight, and the resolution was just amazing. If I could have this portable set-up I'd be in heaven.

EMU 0404: I've never really been a fan of the 0404, it was always a bit too sharp for my taste, this one though wasn't bad at all, it's a very competant source. I wish I would have had a chance to directly A/B'd this modded one with my Platinum Pro since I probably have noticed a larger difference but since I wasn't able to, I didn't really notice a big step-up from the PP.

Aug 4, 2006 at 1:07 AM Post #4 of 9
Skyline, your tastes are evolving...into MY TASTES.
evil_smiley.gif

Aug 4, 2006 at 1:11 AM Post #5 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn
evil_smiley.gif

Oh my poor poor wallet! I never should have gone to his house, now I'm not sure whether to put my money into the speaker rig I was ready to buy or invest in a better headphone rig!

-BTW the Hp-2s are currently in my possesion
biggrin.gif
. Erfault was nice enough to let me borrow them for a week!

One more thing I should add is that I did not like the HP-2s with flats at all. They sounded congested and lacked the resolution and accuracy obtained with bowl pads. My head is also quite small so they aren't uncomfortable with the bowls. They're more comfy then my HF-1s.

Aug 4, 2006 at 1:13 AM Post #6 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn
evil_smiley.gif

And yours into mine.
biggrin.gif

Aug 4, 2006 at 4:44 PM Post #8 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by lan
And yours into mine.
biggrin.gif

The Circle is Complete!

And Skyline, I like the HP2s with Cpads for just that reason - and they don't sound half bad either
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 5, 2006 at 1:32 PM Post #9 of 9
Yeah, I'm not sure why they sound like that since they were tuned for flats not bowls. But the bowls just sound so much more natural, with them it actually feels like you're in the front row at a concert. I've never really understood this analogy with Grados before. While the presentation of the other Grados I've heard was engaging, there always felt like there was something missing. This however, is the real deal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back