Having a hard time finding the right headphones.
Feb 26, 2017 at 9:15 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

m3t4lm4n222

100+ Head-Fier
Hey guys, I am looking for some help. 

For 3 years, I had nothing but Superlux 688B's and they worked pretty well for me - but they always lacked a bit, especially in the bass department. I had a hard time complaining, however, because they cost me $40 and worked without issue for YEARS.

About a month ago, the left ear cup quit functioning. Now, I was confident I would be able to fix them with a bit of soldering, but I decided this was the perfect excuse to get myself into a better pair of headphones.  

I did some research and after several days, I decided to get the Phillips Fidelio X2's. I got them, used them for about 5 days, about 5-8 hours a day and was overall unimpressed. While I felt they definitely had more bass and their build quality was absolutely amazing, there was something about the sound that was actually giving me headaches on a fairly constant basis. I did more research, listening to some VModa M100's and decided to buy a pair with the XL pads. Everything was fantastic...for about 3 days until the XL pads had deflated so much, that the drivers in the M100's were actually driving themselves right into my ears, essentially making the headphones unbearable to wear after 2-3 hours. 

And here I am now. 

I need to find some headphones, priced anywhere between $100-$300. Comfort and durability are extremely important to me, but I also listen to a LOT of modern hip-hop/rap music, so bass is appreciated as well. I have a Fiio E10K amp.

Feb 26, 2017 at 12:49 PM Post #2 of 8
Have you given the Meze 99 classics a look? I hear that they have good bass and are overall excellent headphones and are described as fun-sounding.

Feb 26, 2017 at 1:43 PM Post #3 of 8
meze 99 classics are good ( never heard but have very good reviews). You may also try sennheiser momemtum 2 or akg k712pro (open, good for home use). I own both momentum 2 and akg 712 and use them for several years without having problems.  Both have a nice little bass, so, good for hip hop. I use akg to play my roland workstation. I also recommend Grado. Grado sound is special. I own  rs2e. It's over 300, but they have the 325 or 225 model in your price range. Note that some people find them uncomfortable (on ear). I don't.

Feb 26, 2017 at 2:08 PM Post #4 of 8
  Have you given the Meze 99 classics a look? I hear that they have good bass and are overall excellent headphones and are described as fun-sounding.

I was actually just looking at them. They look pretty fantastic, I was hesitant though because I saw several reviews saying they may not be great for rap/hip hop, more so classical music and tbh, I don't really listen to classical, ever. They have the headband design that I like and they look to be well built and easy to disassemble. 

Feb 26, 2017 at 2:11 PM Post #5 of 8
  meze 99 classics are good ( never heard but have very good reviews). You may also try sennheiser momemtum 2 or akg k712pro (open, good for home use). I own both momentum 2 and akg 712 and use them for several years without having problems.  Both have a nice little bass, so, good for hip hop. I use akg to play my roland workstation. I also recommend Grado. Grado sound is special. I own  rs2e. It's over 300, but they have the 325 or 225 model in your price range. Note that some people find them uncomfortable (on ear). I don't.

I've considered both the 712's and the K7XX's that Massdrop has. I think I am going to miss the Massdrop option however because I am waiting to see if another one of my orders for a headphone was cancelled or not. 

I tried to jump in on the 1060's by Monoprice and they're just looking like a mess tbh. Odd finicky connectors and glued on pads. 

Feb 26, 2017 at 2:18 PM Post #6 of 8
You might also check out the HiFiMAN HE400i. It has ruler-flat bass (so, not emphasized, rather, neutral and balanced) and is just an overall good-sounding headphone. Also, comfortable.

Feb 26, 2017 at 3:55 PM Post #7 of 8
  You might also check out the HiFiMAN HE400i. It has ruler-flat bass (so, not emphasized, rather, neutral and balanced) and is just an overall good-sounding headphone. Also, comfortable.

What's the difference between the 400S and 400i? Do they have the same drivers? 

Feb 26, 2017 at 4:51 PM Post #8 of 8
  What's the difference between the 400S and 400i? Do they have the same drivers? 

Different drivers. The main difference is that the 400i is flatter from 100 Hz down to 10 Hz than the 400S is. So, a little more sub bass. Other than that, they are very similar. Maybe a tad more detail for the 400i. That's about it. The 400S is a very good headphone. Some people prefer it, some prefer the 400i. No amp needed for the 400S--you can play it straight out of a phone or a DAP.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back