Havi B3 Pro-1 Impressions Thread
Jul 29, 2014 at 9:19 AM Post #1,186 of 4,032

Tips don't matter beyond getting a good seal and having a hole the same size as the IEM sound bore. Use whatever tips you like best.

Power usage is roughly the same as my ER-4S. I can power both from a Sansa Clip without problems. A lot more power than your average IEM but the power requirements aren't insane.

Takes time to adjust to a different frequency response.

I forgot to add, YMMV 
wink.gif

Regarding tips, I do feel a difference. No, I don't mean it in the miraculous kind of sound change. I mean it in terms of foam tips generally causing the sound to be more 'constricted', and the high frequencies to suffer. But I do agree, the key is to the bore size of the tips. And I would also like to add, that tip dependency extends further than just sonic changes. Fit comfort and isolation too, though I suppose that applies to all IEMs. In the case of the B3, from a design standpoint, a shallow or deep insertion will determine the B3 being 'flush' fit, or a 'dangle' fit. Not really sure how to explain this. Some like it, some don't. As with all things, it boils down to taste and preference.

Regarding power usage, I will have to hold my hands up and say: perhaps 'power' isn't the right word to use. Pardon my lack of technical knowledge for that. But in essence, finding the right amp and source matters. This of course, is down to my personal experience. I believe the best match for the B3 are amps and sources which don't add color, and don't affect the imaging of the B3. In other words, not tampering with the B3's signature sonic traits. Fiio amps generally do that, and I wouldn't recommend them for the B3. Keep in mind, I'm advocating making the B3 sound best, not saying drawing the line between the B3 sucking and/or sounding good!

Jul 29, 2014 at 9:34 AM Post #1,187 of 4,032
Tips don't matter beyond getting a good seal and having a hole the same size as the IEM sound bore. Use whatever tips you like best.

Power usage is roughly the same as my ER-4S. I can power both from a Sansa Clip without problems. A lot more power than your average IEM but the power requirements aren't insane.

Takes time to adjust to a different frequency response.

Tips do matter A LOT @Dreyka (if you're critique on sound and do have sensitive ears). If you're using your B3 with the pitcured tips you're probably killing its miracles... I suggest you to read the tip selection links on the bottom of the first page of this thred. This tip rolling issues were discussed by multiple users, dozens of times in this thread. To sum it up: get good sealing, large bore, shallow bore depth tips. Most appreciated tips are Senn double flanges like @gyx11 said on his previous post. Havi is already aware of the issue and after those feedbacks they are now including senn double flanges in the new packages. But large senn double flanges generally doesn't seal large ear canals properly (reported many times). Also there is no single tip type to solve the sealing and sound perception problems of every user. So we are now giving advise for the best tips but also encouraging Havi people to experiment with their entire tip collection.

Are your earcanals S, M or L sized? Do you have any senn double flanges with you?

Jul 29, 2014 at 9:42 AM Post #1,188 of 4,032
Tips do matter A LOT @Dreyka. If you're using your B3 with the pitcured tips you're probably killing its miracles... I suggest you to read the tip selection links on the bottom of the first page of this thred. This tip rolling issues were discussed by multiple users, dozens of times in this thread. To sum it up: get good sealing, large bore, shallow bore depth tips. Most appreciated tips are Senn double flanges like @gyx11 said on his previous post. Havi is already aware of the issue and after those feedbacks they are now including senn double flanges in the new packages. But large senn double flanges generally doesn't seal large ear canals properly (reported many times). Also there is no single tip type to solve the sealing and sound perception problems of every user. So we are now giving advise for the best tips but also encouraging Havi people to experiment with their entire tip collection.

Are your earcanals S, M or L sized? Do you have any senn double flanges with you?

There is plenty of evidence showing that tip selection doesn't really matter and is there any evidence of the opposite other than anecdotal evidence. I'm sure Havi has the equipment to show this as well. Audible memory is atrocious. I've used plenty of different types of tips with my Etymotics and nothing made a difference other than if the foam was obstructing the bore.

Havi needs to focus on its tip selection to find tips that actually stay in your ear. The B3 is heavy and few tips hold it in place securely.

Jul 29, 2014 at 9:53 AM Post #1,189 of 4,032
There's plenty of evidence that cables don't matter, US$1k, US$10k or US$50, if  they're well made, they are all the same.
Anyway people say they feel the difference, who's right?
No one. 
beerchug.gif

I think eartips are so cheap, that there's no reason to not try them.

Jul 29, 2014 at 9:54 AM Post #1,190 of 4,032
There is plenty of evidence showing that tip selection doesn't really matter and is there any evidence of the opposite other than anecdotal evidence. I'm sure Havi has the equipment to show this as well. Audible memory is atrocious. I've used plenty of different types of tips with my Etymotics and nothing made a difference other than if the foam was obstructing the bore.

Havi needs to focus on its tip selection to find tips that actually stay in your ear. The B3 is heavy and few tips hold it in place securely.

Why don't you answer to my question on the bottom of my post? Why did you remove your previous posts? You're not correct on the some of the informations that you share.

Jul 29, 2014 at 10:12 AM Post #1,191 of 4,032

I understand your point of view. I would like to state up front though, that this statement on tip dependency isn't necessarily as you say, based purely on unreliable audible memory.

When I tip roll, and become convinced that I may have found tips which contribute to audible sonic differences, what I immediately do next, is to fix each side with each of the different tips. I play some music for an extended length of time, and if I do indeed detect a difference in each side, I then switch to the reverse configuration to ascertain my findings. And yes, with this method, I do actually find a difference. In times where I am uncertain or doubtful, I make sure of switching back and forth multiple times to corroborate or debunk my initial conclusions.

Jul 29, 2014 at 10:25 AM Post #1,192 of 4,032
Hi
with the recent spate of increase in attention in the B3, here's short reminder/summary for those who are only just receiving them:

1) tips matter. don't give up if the sound doesn't impress you straight off with the default tips. experiment a little. currently, the sennheiser double flanges are lauded by the majority as the best tips

2) amp the little beast. it is necessary to extract the full sonic capabilities of the B3. the power requirements of the B3 are unlike any IEM. the sound is generally acknowledged to be decent at worst, good at best when powered straight from something such as an iPhone. in line with the great pricing of the B3, the most highly rated budget pairing is the Topping NX1.

3) this will be controversial for skeptics, so read with discernment: give them a lengthy burn in period. from general feedback, the possible noted changes (keeping this intentionally vague) are: improved bass, 'opening' up of the sound, and smoothening the harshness of the treble (this one reportedly takes long hours to achieve)

4) in all things B3, trust in Baycode

Hi I use an iPhone 4s as my source for playing music. Would you recommend an amp ?

Jul 29, 2014 at 1:28 PM Post #1,194 of 4,032
this IEM is too good for the price and needs to be nerfed... I feel like I will never make a purchase even close to this one in quality vs price... :) very happy right now.

They are perfect for me, first budget purchase of my life where I can't find anything wrong with them in any way after 8 hours of listening.

Looking forward to the next 1000!

Jul 29, 2014 at 2:47 PM Post #1,195 of 4,032
I'm reading both ends of this thread now to speed things up.. I'm at page 42 now but these latest posts are good too.

I think I'll wait until @peter123 gets his Topping NX1 and gives his impressions before I proceed with this purchase.  Since that's the only amp I have. 

Hopefully this time you actually get it.

Jul 29, 2014 at 2:50 PM Post #1,196 of 4,032
  I'm reading both ends of this thread now to speed things up.. I'm at page 42 now but these latest posts are good too.

I think I'll wait until @peter123 gets his Topping NX1 and gives his impressions before I proceed with this purchase.  Since that's the only amp I have. 

Hopefully this time you actually get it.

Yeah, it's shippend from the Netherlands according to the tracking so shouldn't be that far away.

Jul 29, 2014 at 3:51 PM Post #1,199 of 4,032
penonaudio.com and lendmeurears.com are probably the most reliable sellers.

mp4nation is where I got mine.  Sometimes they have free fedex on stuff too.

ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back