Havi B3 Pro-1 Impressions Thread
May 15, 2014 at 12:43 AM Post #361 of 4,032
Well, I finally have these in my ears after a long internal debate between these and the ostry's. My goodness they are fantastic. I came from the ety er4-s after ue900's and they are really what I have been after.

The thing that stands out about these apart from the amazing sound stage and comfort (both bliss after the ety's) is they can take just about anything without distortion. Out of the box they seem quite bass lite, want bass boost, no problems, crank it as far as you want and it won't crack under the pressure.

Thanks to all on the thread who reviewed and recommended these gems.

May 15, 2014 at 1:43 AM Post #362 of 4,032
Well, I finally have these in my ears after a long internal debate between these and the ostry's. My goodness they are fantastic. I came from the ety er4-s after ue900's and they are really what I have been after.

The thing that stands out about these apart from the amazing sound stage and comfort (both bliss after the ety's) is they can take just about anything without distortion. Out of the box they seem quite bass lite, want bass boost, no problems, crank it as far as you want and it won't crack under the pressure.

Thanks to all on the thread who reviewed and recommended these gems.

Having read so much about the Ety's and its pros & contras, but never experienced them, I began drifting towards the notion I will have to get trough it all with say Ety 4B, since I am recording quite a few binaural recordings. 

Thanks to this post of yours, it seems that getting Ety 4B after Havi 3 Pro (Old Version ) would be a downgrade.
Particularly the distortion bit; monitoring IEMs have got to have some headroom over IEMs that will be tasked "only" with playback; you can ask the musicians how loud they are going to play to show it during rehearsals as much as you can, nicely or iron fisted; they will, with up to date with one single exception, do it their (unexpected) way during the concert. Sometimes, it can be difference over 6 dB in loudness - and phones HAVE TO be capable of taking it without a problem. Try to monitor live feed from the microphone of say jazz piano - getting anything like lifelike sound simply demands "distortionless" phones - in piano case, particularly in the bass.

May 15, 2014 at 2:18 AM Post #363 of 4,032
Having read so much about the Ety's and its pros & contras, but never experienced them, I began drifting towards the notion I will have to get trough it all with say Ety 4B, since I am recording quite a few binaural recordings. 

Thanks to this post of yours, it seems that getting Ety 4B after Havi 3 Pro (Old Version ) would be a downgrade.
Particularly the distortion bit; monitoring IEMs have got to have some headroom over IEMs that will be tasked "only" with playback; you can ask the musicians how loud they are going to play to show it during rehearsals as much as you can, nicely or iron fisted; they will, with up to date with one single exception, do it their (unexpected) way during the concert. Sometimes, it can be difference over 6 dB in loudness - and phones HAVE TO be capable of taking it without a problem. Try to monitor live feed from the microphone of say jazz piano - getting anything like lifelike sound simply demands "distortionless" phones - in piano case, particularly in the bass.

They are still worth a listen imho, I am not sure how they would respond in your situation but the b3v1's really are a revelation.

I have also found that at this stage a single flange silicone shallow fit really brings more rounded sound to me. My ety past saw me jamming them in deep which wasn't as comfortable or really as effective :) the double flanges never seem to seal in my ears...

May 15, 2014 at 4:57 AM Post #364 of 4,032
They are still worth a listen imho, I am not sure how they would respond in your situation but the b3v1's really are a revelation.

I have also found that at this stage a single flange silicone shallow fit really brings more rounded sound to me. My ety past saw me jamming them in deep which wasn't as comfortable or really as effective :) the double flanges never seem to seal in my ears...

Thank you for the reply.

I never liked the idea of deep inserion myself in the first place - and it is EXTREMELY unpractical in my situation. 

Every now and then, some people would try to communicate with me from normal speaking distance - despite seeing monster ear muffs on my head. In order not to appear an antisociopat, I dully remove the muffs AND the IEMs - most times in order to be able to tell say a member of the choir/orchestra where the WC is in the particular hall/church/building/whatever - lol! 

Musicians require next-to-immediate response when recording - as any insertion and taking off of the IEMs/mufflers take at least a minute to adapt again, I have to work "deaf" for the said amount of time of adaptation. With SHALLOW insertion (like Havi). With deep insertion - 
eek.gif

So I guess I will have to repeat the B3 Pro (Old Version) order from Penon ASAP - in order to have a backup should anything happen to my present pair. I doubt a better IEM for my purposes exists at all - but certain it does not exist at an almost expendable price level.

It would also allow my producer(s) to hear exactly the same thing as I do - two days ago, while "scouting" the acoustics of yet another church, I did compare Havi B3 directly to the AKG K 1000; although K 1000 is more open and extended in the treble, it is not much/critical; one could work with either. Havi will win in dynamic range and specially bass ( provided it is powered by "enough"). It was spooky how close B3 with crosfeed comes to the legendary soundstage performance of K 1000 - it is kind of MIDImundus version of K 1000 soundstage, which is perhaps the highest accolade one can give to an IEM.

May 15, 2014 at 6:52 AM Post #365 of 4,032
It would also allow my producer(s) to hear exactly the same thing as I do - two days ago, while "scouting" the acoustics of yet another church, I did compare Havi B3 directly to the AKG K 1000; although K 1000 is more open and extended in the treble, it is not much/critical; one could work with either. Havi will win in dynamic range and specially bass ( provided it is powered by "enough"). It was spooky how close B3 with crosfeed comes to the legendary soundstage performance of K 1000 - it is kind of MIDImundus version of K 1000 soundstage, which is perhaps the highest accolade one can give to an IEM.

I must say I do love reading your posts and the comparison seems amazing. As for the deep insertion it would seriously impact your speed as it does take time to get 'just the right fit' with the et and without it the sound really does change.

May 15, 2014 at 9:34 PM Post #369 of 4,032
http://www.head-fi.org/t/718900/the-ostry-kc06a-the-guy-who-surprises-with-sound-class-look-and-many-more-d/30#post_10550291

ENJOY :grin::sunglasses:

the bird aint got no depth...admit it...Mo...shoooshooooshooooo
Back to the Havi :p

May 17, 2014 at 2:37 AM Post #372 of 4,032
Kc06A better then the b3, but the tenores are better then all of my iems so far, but still need to burn in my 50+ iems for 100hrs at least :sweat_smile::relieved:

How about Tenores vs Mikros, I'm having my Mikros comming next week and yet already so tempted to get the Tenores. Are they having different characteristic? I heard that the Mikros is quite neutral too.

May 17, 2014 at 12:28 PM Post #374 of 4,032
I believe most of the users here prefers their B3 over the KC06 (I assume this from their previous inputs).

From the early reviews it seems that KC06A is very close to KC06 for SQ. But wee need more brain/driver burn-in time to have more healthy conclusions from the users... But it seems to me from these reviews that one of the biggest issues on KC06 didn't change: sound-stage depth.

I have jumped over KC06 and bought the gold version. I have burned it and gave it many chances.

In the end, I returned to my B3 Pro1. I am on a trip now and it's the only iem I take with me.

There is no way that I am going to jump over KC06A... Not a single chance!  

Also I am suspicious from your every input of nearly all the iems as: epic, toptier, wow, best, etc.  I have seen these many many times. Just calm down boy (or girl I don't now).

You have great affinity and love for this hobby but just relax! You're putting these things nearly every night even when you sleep, don't you?

Give your brain some fresh "SILENCE"
wink.gif

May 17, 2014 at 12:49 PM Post #375 of 4,032
  I believe most of the users here prefers their B3 over the KC06 (I assume this from their previous inputs).

From the early reviews it seems that KC06A is very close to KC06 for SQ. But wee need more brain/driver burn-in time to have more healthy conclusions from the users... But it seems to me from these reviews that one of the biggest issues on KC06 didn't change: sound-stage depth.

I have jumped over KC06 and bought the gold version. I have burned it and gave it many chances.

In the end, I returned to my B3 Pro1. I am on a trip now and it's the only iem I take with me.

There is no way that I am going to jump over KC06A... Not a single chance!  

Also I am suspicious from your every input of nearly all the iems as: epic, toptier, wow, best, etc.  I have seen these many many times. Just calm down boy (or girl I don't now).

You have great affinity and love for this hobby but just relax! You're putting these things nearly every night even when you sleep, don't you?

Give your brain some fresh "SILENCE"
wink.gif

The bolded part is a bit harsh, but made me laugh out loud for some reason. Maybe it was Mochill's <24hr jump from the KC06A to the Tenores (with a thread creation telling everyone to get it at first, and then not get it and get the Tenores instead), or maybe just the incoherence (some crap about 'coco')

Whatever it is, no offence intended, I don't think I'll trust Mochill too much, or at least take his words with a huge pinch of salt. An IEM he favourites today will become only his 847294th favorite by the next month. it's not very cool to use single word expressions instead of detailed and fair reviews.

I'll forever be grateful for his endorsements of the B3 Pro 1 and the KC06, but hyping is a dangerous thing by itself, and then there's a level madness at which it's just got to stop.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back