Havi B3 Pro-1 Impressions Thread
Apr 20, 2014 at 2:31 AM Post #168 of 4,032
Well, the thing is, fit is really subjective.

I suppose there will definitely be those who dig the B3 for comfort. But in my opinion, coming from the S4 to the B3, and understanding specifically what Darner's problem was, I would think it best for him to find something else if comfort is his main concern.

Apr 20, 2014 at 4:31 AM Post #169 of 4,032
I think it has to be said, once and for all.

Headphones, ANY variety except true earspeakers  ( Jecklin Float, AKG K 1000 - and some that followed suit ), are very dependable on fit . By  FAR the worst in this regard are IEMs - that poor tips have to interface the headphone proper to the enormously variable size/shape of each and every person's ear canal. In IEM, good seal is mandatory for correct frequency response, particularly in the bass, where seal (or lack of it...) will be make or break for each individual user. And they have to be reasonably comfortable over long(er) periods of time.

I tend to use whatever tips I find to work well with MY ear canals - on as many IEMs possible. And even that can change regarding size of those tips. Pending the imminent resurfacing of my wide bore Sennheiser tips ( hailed as the best with Havi B 3 ), in the meantime I am solderieng on with tips that came with my XKDUN CK-M700 IEMs. 
Funny thing - I use LARGER tips from XKDUN for XKDUN than for Havi - one size smaller is just about right.

The moral is clear - while general recommendations do hold true, it does not necessarily mean those tips one poster or another is eargasming about will fit - you.

Apr 20, 2014 at 5:36 AM Post #170 of 4,032
Thanks for your input analogsurviver! :) I have also XKDUN CK-M700 tips and none of them worked for me...

It is clearly indicated on the page 8 of this thread that the results are for me :wink: but supported by 3 different B3 users (may be more). As a result I have provided a message for the senn double flange tips on the bottom of the tip rolling page: "For the senn tips you can google and ebay search. And I cannot guarantee the fit for your ears. But you should give a try". That was only an advise.

Your input is valuable since most people here dont indicate large earcanal fit issues.

It will be good to hear how they sound now?

Apr 20, 2014 at 6:08 AM Post #171 of 4,032
Thanks for your input analogsurviver!
smily_headphones1.gif
I have also XKDUN CK-M700 tips and none of them worked for me... It is clearly indicated on the page 8 of this thread that the results are for me
wink.gif
but supported by 3 different B3 users (may be more). As a result I have provided a message for the senn double flange tips on the bottom of the tip rolling page: "they may or may not suit but you should give a try". Thats only an advise. Your input is valuable since most people here dont indicate large earcanal fit issues.

It will be good to hear how they sound now?

I did read your post and aprove it wholeheartedly - I just meant to underline people should be firstmost aware the tips have to work for THEM.

How do they sound NOW ? AAARGHhhh !"#$%&/()=?* (!"#$%&/()=?* = about the most juicy cursing possible ).
I just discovered that currently they are not in my possesion. It means:
a ) I forgot them in a church when I was recording a live concert ( some 100 kg of equipment ...easy to miss 50         or so grammes of Havi case ) - monitored with  Havi B3 Pro (Old Version)
b ) I forgot them at the local high end store I was having demo of the above recording (can ask tomorrow...)
c ) They are GONE FOR GOOD

I have to "make do" with the Stax Lambda Pro/SRM 1MK2 in the interim - and although the big Stax is better, Havi
is not THAT far behind. In certain ways, it might well be even superiour. And I can not compare them right now...

But Havi can be taken seriously only if its bass can be EQed to proper level - which it can handle well, as noted by others. Bass taken care of and used with some form of crossfeed, it achieves a
 Minimundus http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minimundus

version of out-of-head soundtage of the mighty AKG K 1000 - about the higest praise one can give to otherwise in this department pretty pedestrian IEM variety . 

One minor criticism that springs to mind is at moments slightly grainy/grating treble - but it is a minor fault compared to mostly too dark or heavily peaky treble in most of the rest of IEMs. 

More when my Havis resurface - but I am actually considering getting another (hopefully spare...) pair.

Unless B6 proves to be B3 without the need to EQ the bass and even better treble ... - and yes, if it would be less power hungry, it would be even greater. But NOT at the expense of the ultimate SQ achievable.

Apr 20, 2014 at 8:10 AM Post #172 of 4,032
  I just discovered that currently they are not in my possesion. It means:
a ) I forgot them in a church when I was recording a live concert ( some 100 kg of equipment ...easy to miss 50         or so grammes of Havi case ) - monitored with  Havi B3 Pro (Old Version)
b ) I forgot them at the local high end store I was having demo of the above recording (can ask tomorrow...)
c ) They are GONE FOR GOOD

Hope you can find them
frown.gif

I have to "make do" with the Stax Lambda Pro/SRM 1MK2 in the interim - and although the big Stax is better, Havi
is not THAT far behind. In certain ways, it might well be even superiour. And I can not compare them right now...

WOW
basshead.gif

One minor criticism that springs to mind is at moments slightly grainy/grating treble - but it is a minor fault compared to mostly too dark or heavily peaky treble in most of the rest of IEMs. 

Unless B6 proves to be B3 without the need to EQ the bass and even better treble ... - and yes, if it would be less power hungry, it would be even greater. But NOT at the expense of the ultimate SQ achievable.

I completely agree on your statements here. Exactly the same perception of SQ, but I find bass to be adequate for my tastes...

I am more than happy with this purchase. And they scale up with better sources -like K340 scales up with better amps-... So that's why I am also eying DX90 (and X5) now...

Apr 20, 2014 at 10:02 AM Post #173 of 4,032
Listening to:

Band: Mercan Dede
Album Name: 800
Track: Mercanistan
Position: 5:00 min =>

through Ipod Touch 4th Gen is so seducing 
etysmile.gif

mmm fast, tight and punchy bass response
biggrin.gif

(For anyone who's interested, I highly suggest you to download FLAC's of Mercan Dede albums, YouTube recordings are awful)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mHPMPpC82SY

Apr 20, 2014 at 10:59 AM Post #174 of 4,032
Good Morning (here) to everyone. Just to be clear, with the S4 problem I was talking about fit, not comfort. The S4's are comfortable enough, but it's no use because I can't get a good fit anymore. They keep coming slightly loose, even with slight cord weight or movements of my jaw. Comfort, to me, is just how they feel physically. A cotton ball in my ear's going to be comfortable in that sense. But fit is about the seal that's necessary to properly hear the IEM. No matter how well a cotton ball fits in my ear, it's just not going to have a good sound signature! Am I wrong about these definitions? My thing with the B3's is that from the picture they look like their main body (is that called the "housing"?) kind of sits in the cup of your ear, while the tipped nozzle fits in the ear canal from there. That had me thinking that they wouldn't be as prone to getting jostled around as an IEM that has most of it's contact with your ear being through the tip and where it fits with your canal.

Apr 20, 2014 at 11:12 AM Post #179 of 4,032
Darner I got what you meant. my posts were all addressing fit, as well as comfort.

Basically I have the coming loose with jaw movements e.t.c problem with the B3s and not with the S4. Which is why I am suggesting the B3 may be even worse for you if the S4 is already giving you problems. Note the word: may.

Also, the housing does not fit into your ear nicely as like how a 'Shure' does. But they do hug the sides of your ears generally.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back