Have you ever told you audiophile friends in real life...
Mar 7, 2016 at 5:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

WindowsX

Member of the Trade: Fidelizer Audio
How his recently purchases of equipment and accessories are scammed and doesn't really work well for the better. Like this equipment is scammed for overpriced product, this ones causes problems in your system more than it solves, you perceived placebo effect that isn't really there, etc.

I'm just curious if people who talk in internet are doing the same with their 'real life' audiophiles fellow. I used to tell that to most people out of good will and most of them don't really like it. Lately I keep it only for few people whom I think they can actually listen.

Regards,
Windows X

Mar 8, 2016 at 12:55 AM Post #3 of 20
I don't have any audiophile friends so no. I do however have many clients that need me solve their audio issues so I do have to explain what works, what doesn't and why. I don't have to get into the snake oil issues very often the few times that I do run into audiophile nonsense I shut them down really quick.
In the professional audio world there are issues and solutions that audiophiles don't even know about, and if they found out about it their heads would explode signal processing is allowing many past limitations to be overcome.
I also have to deal with tons of acoustical issues. I currently have 8-10 projects just to fix existing acoustical issues in spaces. How many audiophiles even think about the horrible acoustics of the room their system is in, but some how a magic wire has a night and day difference as long as they can see it? Spend less time and money on magic wire, sample rates, bit depths and on and on, and buy some physics books and spend time reading them.

Mar 8, 2016 at 1:22 AM Post #4 of 20
dprimary,

You may be on the verge of a new objectivist stereotype.  Not only do objectivists not enjoy music, their very philosophy prevents them from having audiophile friends.

Don't worry, I am chuckling as I type this. 

PS-some might amend that to say, "friends don't let friends become audiophiles".
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 8, 2016 at 5:47 PM Post #6 of 20
I have close to no tact IRL,  like a facebook profile picture, worst in person.^_^
I'll always warn a friend(and then most likely troll him for a year on the matter
evil_smiley.gif
). I would only keep quiet if I didn't like the guy.

Mar 10, 2016 at 1:01 PM Post #7 of 20
  How his recently purchases of equipment and accessories are scammed and doesn't really work well for the better. Like this equipment is scammed for overpriced product, this ones causes problems in your system more than it solves, you perceived placebo effect that isn't really there, etc.

I'm just curious if people who talk in internet are doing the same with their 'real life' audiophiles fellow. I used to tell that to most people out of good will and most of them don't really like it. Lately I keep it only for few people whom I think they can actually listen.

Regards,
Windows X

​How would it make it worse?  I'd be surprised to see an electronic device that would overwhelm speaker distortion and room acoustics.

Mar 10, 2016 at 6:30 PM Post #8 of 20
An excellent question and not all that easy to answer. As a former member of the audiophile fold I can understand many of audiophile friend's "system insecurities", that feeling that you spent all this money and now you don't want take even the slightest chance that the system is not producing the best sound that it is capable of. So you go out and buy that fancy cable, power conditioner, power cord, sand filled equipment rack, rewire all the circuits, painstakingly position each speaker, treat each connection, etc. - all those things that you read about in the all the high end magazines and web sites and all so that you rest assured that your mega-buck audio system really kicks ass.

So what I ask them first, especially while we are listening to their audio system, is what do they think is going to make their system sound better than it already does. And next I ask them if not getting the latest item currently being raved about in audiophile circles is going to mean them no longer enjoying their audio system and all the great music they play on their system.

Slowly, ever so slowly, some of them get the message. Unfortunately most of them never get the message.

Mar 11, 2016 at 3:58 PM Post #9 of 20
Painstaking speaker placement is absolutely a scientifically valid approach. As for the other things you listed, I still don't see how they would make it "worse." (Personal finances might be a lot worse, of course...)

Mar 11, 2016 at 4:19 PM Post #10 of 20
Painstaking speaker placement is absolutely a scientifically valid approach. As for the other things you listed, I still don't see how they would make it "worse." (Personal finances might be a lot worse, of course...)

You are correct - speaker placement is important and scientifically valid, it's the "painstaking" part, as in down to the nearest millimeter, that makes so audiophile.

Mar 11, 2016 at 5:26 PM Post #12 of 20
Heh, I guess I have a lower threshold of "painstaking."
wink.gif

Any audiophile will tell you that a difference of as little as one millimeter can make or break the entire three dimensional sound stage. I'm more inclined to believe that the difference of as little as one bourbon can make or break the entire three dimensional sound stage and it tastes good as well.

Mar 11, 2016 at 5:30 PM Post #13 of 20

Mar 12, 2016 at 3:05 PM Post #14 of 20
Best explanation of confirmation bias

You hear what you are told you will hear and it works.

http://youtu.be/0ukn2YT5jeM

Mar 12, 2016 at 3:57 PM Post #15 of 20
Best explanation of confirmation bias

You hear what you are told you will hear and it works.

http://youtu.be/0ukn2YT5jeM

Hilarious! Thanks for the link.

I did listen to the video twice - the first time using a computer which is connected to my stereo via an inexpensive USB cable and the second time using a $300 USB cable. When listening via the standard USB all the lyrics sounded exactly like Peter Kay said they would but when using the $300 USB cable I heard the actual, real lyrics. I will be sending my resume to both Stereophile and The Absolute Sound
evil_smiley.gif

Disclaimer: The above paragraph was totally made up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back