Have you bought anything on impuls after reading a review on headfi
Jan 24, 2009 at 7:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 62

paara

500+ Head-Fier
Have you bought any audio equipment on impulse after reading a review/impression on head-fi??

I have to admit that some of my purchases has been somewhat hasty, after reading a really good review. Some times I just get a bit caught in the moment and become very enthusiastic about a product
biggrin.gif

Wondering if anybody else has experienced the same?

EDIT: You could also post what you bought
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 24, 2009 at 8:11 PM Post #2 of 62
MY last impulse purchase was a bunch of 6SN7 and 6AS7 tubes after reading the 336se tuberolling thread

Jan 24, 2009 at 8:22 PM Post #6 of 62
Oh yes! A lot of times...
4070, SR-Lambda Pro, SR-X/MK3, SR-X/MK3 Pro, K1000, Signature 30.2, Poiema!!!, and more.

No regrets!
biggrin.gif

Jan 24, 2009 at 8:30 PM Post #8 of 62
It's usually when I have the product in mind already. I've never bought anything right after reading a review for the first time.

Jan 24, 2009 at 8:30 PM Post #9 of 62
I spend days to weeks researching products before I buy them if they're anywhere over $100. Less than $100, impulse buys are fine. So far I haven't been burned by any product I've researched this way, although I don't always end up with the product I originally started researching.

Let's put it this way, I spent around $1800 on my last computer setup, and it fired up beautifully the first time I pushed the power button because I spent over a month researching each component individually and determining the interactive effects of each component on the rest of the system.

There are a lot of times where being patient or hesitating can be a bad thing, but in electronics of any kind it's better to have a full grasp of what you're getting yourself into before taking the leap rather than to take the leap and find you've landed on a bed of nails and scorpions (Two things that should never go together).

Of course, I gather this is part of the reason tube rolling is so popular in Head-Fi (and why solid state gets a lot less interest other than for specific applications or for drained wallets). If the sound isn't what you like, swap out a tube!
tongue.gif

Jan 24, 2009 at 8:30 PM Post #10 of 62
I have a friend who buys everything on impulse. I tell him to buy EMU 0404 USB and he buys Auzentech Amon on impulse without doing any research at all, and it sucks compared to EMU 0404 too and cost almost the same.

Jan 24, 2009 at 8:54 PM Post #12 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh yes! A lot of times...
4070, SR-Lambda Pro, SR-X/MK3, SR-X/MK3 Pro, K1000, Signature 30.2, Poiema!!!, and more.

No regrets!
biggrin.gif

Hehe, so basically everything then
biggrin.gif

Jan 24, 2009 at 9:16 PM Post #15 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by paara /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hehe, so basically everything then
biggrin.gif

Yeah! More or less on impulse and also blind (not auditioned).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back